The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

GSP outstruck Josh 136 to 30 in the fight. In the fourth round, Josh landed ONE of 30 attempted strikes. GSP never looked in danger. He has a way of making good fighters look like amatures. It only takes one mistake to lose (see Matt Sera fight) and he has defended his title, is it 6 times in a row now?

He has beat Josh K x 2, Jon Fitch, Thiago Alves, Matt Hughes, and BJ Penn. I haven't watched all of those fights recently, but what I recall is that he dominated all of those fights. Look at all the different fighting styles from those guys he has beaten, from Division 1 wrestlers, Muay Thai strikers.

When was the last time he lost a round? And as Goldberg always states, how much time has GSP spent on his back (gigidy)? How easily does he take guys down?

Sure, he doesn't finish guys off in flashy manner, but my god, look at Josh Koscheck's face. He got the crap kicked out of him. I don't know, I find it pretty hard to argue that this guy isn't the pound for pound best fighter out there right now. Again, he makes good fighters look ordinary and he never seems to be in danger. I think there's a little more to it than knock outs and the ability to finish. He completely dominates fights, period.

One last quick point, look at the records of the guys you mention, Lidell (defended title 4 times), Shogun (no title defense yet), Rampage (defended title once), Penn (defended title 3 times).

I totally agree with you man. I dont doubt the guys ability to the least bit. The guy is for sure top 3 P4P and in my opinion more well rounded then Silva. The guy walked through Kos like you pointed out, im very aware of the fight stats. On top of that, the guys beat the top guys in his weight division consistantly (hughes, penn, fitch, kos, alves) He's had the hardest road of any champ and the most impressive reseme. He makes the match makers look stupid each time he fights, but I dont get how people cant see that he's becoming a point fighter. I haven't once doubted his ability, i just doubt his tenacity and ability to finish a fight. I dont watch MMA just to watch knockouts and see submissions. I love the art of combat and the strategy involved. But 5 decisions in a row, for a guy thats suppose to be the best in the world is not acceptable.

In my opinion the best guy in the world is Jose Aldo. Those who haven't seen him fight will be blown away now that he's in the UFC.

UFC Noob here!Why doesn't GSP fight in the middleweight divison? He's obviously dominating the welterweight and he's clearly big enough for middleweight because the guy is massive for someone at 170lbs.

He's dominated the division for a while and has talked about moving up for a while, but he doesn't wanna move up until he's totally cleaned out the division and has put on enough mass that he can compete with the guys at 185. GSP is a very intelligent fighter, he's taking his time and putting on clean muscle the right way. I think he walks around at 195. I think he wants to be over 200lb before he'll test the water at middle weight. He's not even the biggest welterweight in his division. Guys like Hardy, Alves and Johnson are alot bigger then him. Guys like Anderson and Okami will make him look tiny and have a major strength advantage over him.

He realistically will move up sometime in 2011. Jake Shields is next in line for a title shot, after that fitch may get a rematch if he gets passed Penn.

He finished BJ Penn.

that was 4 fights ago. So it's only been 3 decisions in a row.

true, my bad on that

then 4 out of 5 fights have gone to decision. The fight he did finish was due to corner stoppage against BJ Penn. For those who didnt watch the Penn fight, Penns corner threw in the towel right befor the 5th and final round. Penn got the crap beaten out of him but he totally gassed out.

Just like Pacquiao needs finishes to be considered the best p4p fighter, right? His last two wins went to decision, but nobody is questioning his skill. GSP doesn't give up a single round over six fights, and you're questioning his ability to compete? The fact is, nobody comes even CLOSE to his ability in the welterweight division.

GSP is on a different level right now. Nobody can touch him, just like nobody can touch Manny Pacquiao.

Sure, we all want adrenaline and knockouts, but GSP is not a lesser man if he doesn't get knockouts.

Use your head for once. Five decisions in a row? How about five victories in a row, where he destroyed his opponents? There was absolutely NOTHING they could do against GSP.

The difference is, Pacquiao has been fighting guys that are 15 or 20 lbs bigger than his optimum weight, while GSP is fighting guys basically the same size {or smaller in the case of BJ Penn}. Considering the advantages GSP has in raw athletisism and quality of training, he should be taking people out more at 170, if he moved up to 185 and had trouble finishing people, it'd be understandable at least.

I totally agree with you man. I dont doubt the guys ability to the least bit. The guy is for sure top 3 P4P and in my opinion more well rounded then Silva. The guy walked through Kos like you pointed out, im very aware of the fight stats. On top of that, the guys beat the top guys in his weight division consistantly (hughes, penn, fitch, kos, alves) He's had the hardest road of any champ and the most impressive reseme. He makes the match makers look stupid each time he fights, but I dont get how people cant see that he's becoming a point fighter. I haven't once doubted his ability, i just doubt his tenacity and ability to finish a fight. I dont watch MMA just to watch knockouts and see submissions. I love the art of combat and the strategy involved. But 5 decisions in a row, for a guy thats suppose to be the best in the world is not acceptable.

In my opinion the best guy in the world is Jose Aldo. Those who haven't seen him fight will be blown away now that he's in the UFC.

That's a good post...I do have some understanding what you are saying that he should be finishing guys to be considered p4p. I think GSP is a very tactical, careful fighter and he knows what it takes to remain champion for a length of time. I don't particularly agree that he has become a points fighter, he's not squeaking out decisions here, he's completely dominating fights.

When there was only about 30 seconds left in the fight last night, I wondered if he might just explode on Kos with a barrage of punches to finish him off for the home town crowd. He could have easily done this, but what would have been the point. He had just won the first 4 rounds, why take the chance of having Kos throw a hail mary and connect. He doesn't need to do that kind of stuff and it's not necessary for him to take those kinds of chances. I've seen the same from Anderson Silva.

Regardless, even though I think he is probably number 1 p4p fighter right now, I don't particularly get too hung up on it, it's only theoretical anyway.

Not acceptable to you maybe. I haven't heard a single person inside the sport knock GSP for anything close to a lack of finish.

There are many ways to win a fight. UNANIMOUS decision is just as impressive as knockout, submission or TKO. If he was winning close decisions and splits you'd have a leg to stand on here. But he hasn't and you won't.

He has won 3 straight UNANIMOUS decisions in which he wore down and dominated his opponent. I find each of these fights way more complete and impressive then a lot of knockouts that are really just even fights in which one guy gets a lucky punch.

GSP has won 8 straight fights and not one has been close. He has gotten better each and every time he enters the ring. No one in his weight class and VERY FEW come close to his compete level in MMA, the problem is we don't get to see it because most of it occurs in training.

Edited by Champions of Nothing

Just like Pacquiao needs finishes to be considered the best p4p fighter, right? His last two wins went to decision, but nobody is questioning his skill. GSP doesn't give up a single round over six fights, and you're questioning his ability to compete? The fact is, nobody comes even CLOSE to his ability in the welterweight division.

GSP is on a different level right now. Nobody can touch him, just like nobody can touch Manny Pacquiao.

Sure, we all want adrenaline and knockouts, but GSP is not a lesser man if he doesn't get knockouts.

Use your head for once. Five decisions in a row? How about five victories in a row, where he destroyed his opponents? There was absolutely NOTHING they could do against GSP.

Use my head for once? Who do you think you are the MMA Guru? I never once said that he can't compete. The fact still remains that he can't or wont finish fights, ive heard the same post fight interview for YEARS now "I am Sorry to my fans for not finishing the fight, I will not disapoint next time...etc."

What happened to his "brutal ground and pound" and unbelieveable submissions? Or even a spinning heel kick every once and a while. He had complete control of Hardy's arm and still couldn't torque it enough to get the tap.

While I understand that he is doing his job to win fights by inflicting 10x the damage than he receives. Which brings me back to where I need to give my head a shake, if you want to be the best in the world you should be able to finish a fight against a one eyed fighter who "Isn't even CLOSE to his ability."

Don't compare boxing decisions to UFC decisions because its completely irrevelant. Or Manny and GSP for that matter. Just for the record Manny never had a streak of more than 3 decisions.

Use my head for once? Who do you think you are the MMA Guru? I never once said that he can't compete. The fact still remains that he can't or wont finish fights, ive heard the same post fight interview for YEARS now "I am Sorry to my fans for not finishing the fight, I will not disapoint next time...etc."

What happened to his "brutal ground and pound" and unbelieveable submissions? Or even a spinning heel kick every once and a while. He had complete control of Hardy's arm and still couldn't torque it enough to get the tap.

While I understand that he is doing his job to win fights by inflicting 10x the damage than he receives. Which brings me back to where I need to give my head a shake, if you want to be the best in the world you should be able to finish a fight against a one eyed fighter who "Isn't even CLOSE to his ability."

Don't compare boxing decisions to UFC decisions because its completely irrevelant. Or Manny and GSP for that matter. Just for the record Manny never had a streak of more than 3 decisions.

For the record, neither has GSP. He's actually never had 2 figths end in decision before until his current streak of 3.

But really, if he would had TKO's Koschek with 30 seconds left in the fight, would it have been any more impressive? The fight was still not even close, GSP still dominated every aspect of the fight. The method of victory doesn't change that in my mind.

GSP is not the best pound for pound fighter, and neither is Silva. Neither can lay claim to that until they fight.

GSP did what 99% of UFC fighters would have done with Hardy's arm. He had it locked in and torqued it. Hardy's face was in total agony, and had GSP torqued anymore, he would have snapped his elbow or arm, and most fighters stop short of that. Hardy was just not going to submit.

I agree that GSP should have finished Koscheck, but he didn't. What he did do was beat the hell out of him and leave the octagon virtually untouched. Koscheck is a damn good fighter, and GSP schooled him. He is without a doubt the best 170 pounder out there, maybe of all time.

He needs to finish the next fight to silence the doubters, and then ground and pound Silva to silence the rest.

Edited by JAH