The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

29 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

No doubt.  what a gong show. I had to use the tunnel and it took forever to get home.  That tunnel makes me furious.  Built in the 50s, handling traffic 60+ years later.  I wonder what the collective count of person hours wasted is every year while people wait to merge from 4 lanes into one.

Going off on a tangent here, but the new tunnel replacement will be complete by 2022 they say. I hope 2 things 1) it doesnt have the same snow / ice issue as the alex fraser and 2) it doesnt amount to just moving the bottle neck to the oak street bridge.... I mean it will surely solve the flow of traffic problem where the tunnel is right now but the oak street bridge is only 2 lanes so wont cars be piling up there faster than before?

thought it has been proven that expanding road capacity in one area means that other areas will be congested. plus the construction will make the delays outweigh the actual benefits of construction.

On 2016-12-13 at 1:51 PM, Darius71 said:

No doubt.  what a gong show. I had to use the tunnel and it took forever to get home.  That tunnel makes me furious.  Built in the 50s, handling traffic 60+ years later.  I wonder what the collective count of person hours wasted is every year while people wait to merge from 4 lanes into one.

Going off on a tangent here, but the new tunnel replacement will be complete by 2022 they say. I hope 2 things 1) it doesnt have the same snow / ice issue as the alex fraser and 2) it doesnt amount to just moving the bottle neck to the oak street bridge.... I mean it will surely solve the flow of traffic problem where the tunnel is right now but the oak street bridge is only 2 lanes so wont cars be piling up there faster than before?

I never figured out the counter flow lane. It seemed to really make no sense. If you think the Massey Tunnel is bad, how about the Lions Gate Bridge?  Opened in 1938. It only has 3 lanes. Honestly, in the 1990's they should have went with the plan to build a tunnel underneath Stanley Park to the North Shore. Used the fill from the tunnel to put on the land at Coal Harbour, and build additional acreage in Downtown Vancouver and the money made from the real estate help pay for the Tunnel. (Provided of course it's earthquake proof, and its like 8 lanes with capacity for an additional 2 and rail...)

I still don't understand why they can't keep the Tunnel open AND open a Bridge? That way if theres a problem with either one, there's at least an option for commuters to take an alternate route. 

Snowfall Warning:

More snow expected beginning tonight. A Pacific front reaching the British Columbia coast tonight will spread snow to the south coast. Snow will continue through Sunday. The Arctic air that has been with us for nearly two weeks will finally be flushed out by milder Pacific air. Snow will gradually change to rain beginning Sunday night. As usual, snowfall will be highly variable; 10 to 20 cm of snow is expected before changing to rain Sunday night with the higher amounts expected inland and over higher terrain. Coastal sections of Vancouver Island may see closer to 5 to 10 cm of snow. For Metro Vancouver and most south coast areas a complete change-over to rain is likely by Monday morning. From Squamish to Whistler the temperatures will remain low enough that snow may persist into Monday morning bringing possible snowfall totals of 20 to 30 cm. For the Fraser Valley, the mild Pacific air will combine with below freezing surface temperatures resulting in snow changing to freezing rain Sunday night. Howe Sound and inland communities of Vancouver Island including Port Alberni will also be at risk for freezing rain during the change-over. Moderate rainfall in combination with melting snow could cause localized flooding on Monday. ### Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada.

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc

I took our kitties out in the snow today, I don't think they enjoyed it much. Gilly just meowed a lot and Discord kept trying to dig into the snow and hide. It was so cute.

I don't remember the last time it was this cold out though, and although I think its pretty and festive and I really enjoy it I hope it doesn't snow around new years since Ts and I are suppose to go to Chilliwak to spend New Years with my family and we haven't seen them since thanksgiving.

Man, &^@# that noise.

Working nightshift, I left work at like 5am, drove from Burnaby to Pitt Meadows. The #1 and Mary Hill Bypass were &^@#ed. Nothing was plowed yet and I saw like 3 stuck cars. I thought I was going to get screwed too in my car, but I happily made it home. Not without a lot of worries though. At that time there's not a ton of cars on the road heading opposite the rush hour, so I didn't have a lot of tire marks to follow. That was not fun.

Be careful out there today, even if it's plowed now. I saw plows rolling out as I was getting home.

16 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Man, &^@# that noise.

Working nightshift, I left work at like 5am, drove from Burnaby to Pitt Meadows. The #1 and Mary Hill Bypass were &^@#ed. Nothing was plowed yet and I saw like 3 stuck cars. I thought I was going to get screwed too in my car, but I happily made it home. Not without a lot of worries though. At that time there's not a ton of cars on the road heading opposite the rush hour, so I didn't have a lot of tire marks to follow. That was not fun.

Be careful out there today, even if it's plowed now. I saw plows rolling out as I was getting home.

there is a huge traffic jam in front of my place right now and 2 translink buses broken down and stuck..crews working on them ...what a mess.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:35 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I never figured out the counter flow lane. It seemed to really make no sense. If you think the Massey Tunnel is bad, how about the Lions Gate Bridge?  Opened in 1938. It only has 3 lanes. Honestly, in the 1990's they should have went with the plan to build a tunnel underneath Stanley Park to the North Shore. Used the fill from the tunnel to put on the land at Coal Harbour, and build additional acreage in Downtown Vancouver and the money made from the real estate help pay for the Tunnel. (Provided of course it's earthquake proof, and its like 8 lanes with capacity for an additional 2 and rail...)

I still don't understand why they can't keep the Tunnel open AND open a Bridge? That way if theres a problem with either one, there's at least an option for commuters to take an alternate route. 

That would be a VERY expensive tunnel. Also, it would have to go BELOW the bottom of the channel for navigational purposes.

If anything, you need to raise the bridge. And seeing how it's a designated heritage structure, it's unlikely to be replaced.

So get used to the status quo.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think too many municipalities took that "will turn to rain" as gospel as it doesn't look like they bothered running plows and salt trucks at night while it was piling up. Good call that one.... :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

I think too many municipalities took that "will turn to rain" as gospel as it doesn't look like they bothered running plows and salt trucks at night while it was piling up. Good call that one.... :rolleyes:

Yeah I figured it would be slush from what I saw outside. So I drove in and took me 90 minutes to work. But I have to say I'm happy with he traction my Jetta had. Considering the right lane on Granville looked like a parking lot for buses. 

11 hours ago, The Bookie said:

jjph5h6bun4y.jpg

ROFL. Good thing they prioritized the transit routes!

Also, do they not make snow tires for buses? I know that the ones I have for my truck (the softer rubber kind you can only really use in the winter) also have much better traction in the rain.

Also, whenever there's snow like this, they should simply declare it a "snow day" and make it illegal to drive without proper tires (snowflake mountain) same as on the interior highways. After the declaration, if they need to get towed back, load them up with a fine.

Maybe that might help with the chaos every time it snows.

22 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah I figured it would be slush from what I saw outside. So I drove in and took me 90 minutes to work. But I have to say I'm happy with he traction my Jetta had. Considering the right lane on Granville looked like a parking lot for buses. 

Good for you. I have a Jetta   2007 on snow tires.  Not that happy with it.  Had trouble with it on a hill but TBF seems sheer ice on the hill....

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Guess it depends on the hill, and the road conditions. 

Yah, i was visiting Mission and on the connector.  Big hill.   Pretty sure it was sheer ice. 

I saw 4-5  cars pulled over...   Getting towed off the hill.

My jetta has been Ok around town

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1