The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

I am sick of "fans" piling on Alex because of one bad year...when almost every other player had a bad year too. Most specifically Daniel, his linemate. Daniels decline on top of Burrows 3 major injuries during the year were big reasons for his lack of production.

Yes he is getting older for an NHL player, but IMO he can still be an effective player. Its because he is a smart player, and he is a fearless player.

Totally agree,

Burrows will find a way to earn his salary this year,

Burrows fought his way from the bottom of the hockey food chain all the way to the top, he knows more about dealing with adversity then any one else on the team I can think of.

Also, having seen Bonino play quite a bit I can tell you that a Burrows/Bonino combination could be really effective, I'm looking for those two players to help each other out this year.

I have a feeling that most of the Canucks will have a bounce back year. We were one of the unluckiest teams last year. We were the 8th best possesion team last year but couldn't finish, it's statistacally improbable (not impossible) for us to have a year like last again. Burrows will get off to a great start as well as the Sedins, Vrbata and Kassian and the convidence will be running high again.

Aqua will pay him $6.5 million this year.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/662

If he is relegated to third line status he needs to go to make room for a cheaper,younger option.

By doing what? Waivers? It's apparent to me that Burrows may be here for the duration of his contract and he is a decent enough player to keep. If we balance our lines and use our 3rd in multiple situations then he can earn his 6.5mil. His cap hit is still 4.5 so Aquamani can pay the 6mil and choose to like it or lump it. I have no issue with a 3rd line 4.5 mil cap hit if the 3rd line is contributing. I would like to see cheaper, younger options as well, but who goes? Higgins, Richardson, Matthias or Sestito.

Edited by Chalky

• 4 weeks later...

I always liked Burrows, and still do, but for what he's being paid now, he really needs to step it up or he will be traded.

Who's going to want him at that salary? We should of sold high on Burrows after the San Jose sweep. We're stuck with him and his 4.5 mil at this point.

At this point he's not only wasting salary cap space but a roster spot.

Hope he can adjust to 4th line minutes, he's heading there soon

I wouldn't go that far, especially after a few preseason games, but I honestly think he will play out the year on the third. He's done as a top six player.

• Upvote 1

Of course we need him, otherwise we'd have going on 249 pages of text about nobody.

regards,

G.

I never commented on this thread before this year, however now, it poses a very viable question. As much as I love Vrbata with the twins, I almost wonder if we're not better off swapping him and Burr just for the sake of spreading out the scoring and getting Burr going. Unless Jensen/Shink can consistently show they can be mainstays on the 2nd line, we have a very serious hole there. Vrbata and Bonino, in theory, seem to be like a very solid pair, obviously leaving Vrbata on the first unit PP.

I love Burrows, but realistically, he's never shown he can be a top six producer outside of playing with the twins. Asking him to be one at this point in his career is unfair and is only being done so because of his salary. He's still a very serviceable player, but no where near where he could justify his salary.

I never commented on this thread before this year, however now, it poses a very viable question. As much as I love Vrbata with the twins, I almost wonder if we're not better off swapping him and Burr just for the sake of spreading out the scoring and getting Burr going. Unless Jensen/Shink can consistently show they can be mainstays on the 2nd line, we have a very serious hole there. Vrbata and Bonino, in theory, seem to be like a very solid pair, obviously leaving Vrbata on the first unit PP.

I love Burrows, but realistically, he's never shown he can be a top six producer outside of playing with the twins. Asking him to be one at this point in his career is unfair and is only being done so because of his salary. He's still a very serviceable player, but no where near where he could justify his salary.

Problem with this idea, IMO, is that Sedins with Burrows is still a 1st line with little physical presence, and the entire league knows it. And unfortunately for us, the three of them lack the ability to adapt or change their game enough, meaning they WILL get shutdown. In other words, a Sedin-Sedin-Burrows line's limits and disadvantages are way too predictable for other teams.

As for actually keeping Burrows, i'm all for it unless another team offers considerable value which is doubtful. Even if his talents have diminished with age, he's still one of the hardest and most dedicated players on our team and his loyalty to the Canucks is probably only second to Bieksa. At the very least, he'll play a good role model for the kids.

Problem with this idea, IMO, is that Sedins with Burrows is still a 1st line with little physical presence, and the entire league knows it. And unfortunately for us, the three of them lack the ability to adapt or change their game enough, meaning they WILL get shutdown. In other words, a Sedin-Sedin-Burrows line's limits and disadvantages are way too predictable for other teams.

As for actually keeping Burrows, i'm all for it unless another team offers considerable value which is doubtful. Even if his talents have diminished with age, he's still one of the hardest and most dedicated players on our team and his loyalty to the Canucks is probably only second to Bieksa. At the very least, he'll play a good role model for the kids.

But the alternative is Sedins with Vrbata, and there's no way you can argue that Vrbata provides more physical presence than Burrows. So by your logic, the Sedins and Vrbata will also get shut down at 5 on 5 due to lack of physicality? I just don't think that's the case.

I think the Sedins will thrive this year regardless of who they play with (Vrbata or Burrows) because they'll be allowed to play their puck possession game again instead of that stupid dump and chase system. Their skillset is set up terribly for dump and chase, and Tortorella is an idiot for not realizing that.