The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

This thread is like the definition of a broken clock. It just might be on track to being correct for the first time now at the tender age of 6 years and 249 pages.

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him - anymore?

There's a time and place for everything. 2008's loss is 2014's gain.

I wonder if clutch lurks this thread thinking "my time to shine baby, my time to shine."

6 years after the fact if course.

Edited by IdioticRight

Burrows is going to be traded as soon as a deal can be worked out. At this point that means he needs to become a serviceable forward who contributes on the scoresheet. Last season's numbers won't cut it this year. Next he needs to remain healthy. Finally, JB needs to come to him with a legit offer from a contending team in order for Burr to agree to be traded.

Otherwise we have a 3/4 line player on the decline who gets 4.5m for the next three years. I like Burr but his best days are behind him and his contract is now a problem.

Linden has singled out Burr Hansen Matthias and Sestito as players who need to contribute on the scoresheet. That is not by accident. These guys have been identified as guys who need to be better offensively than last year or they won't be here.

• Upvote 2

Linden has singled out Burr Hansen Matthias and Sestito as players who need to contribute on the scoresheet. That is not by accident. These guys have been identified as guys who need to be better offensively than last year or they won't be here.

Source?

Edited by 2SKATES1STICK

There was a reason why he took a pay cut in his last salary, because he knew he wasn't a top 6 forward for producing points, and didn't want to be labeled that from a contract point of view. But after the year he did have with the Sedins, it was kind of hard to not reward him with a good paying contract. It sucks because at 2-3M he is the best player to have, but at 4.5M unless he's producing points it's a waste of money.

There was a reason why he took a pay cut in his last salary, because he knew he wasn't a top 6 forward for producing points, and didn't want to be labeled that from a contract point of view. But after the year he did have with the Sedins, it was kind of hard to not reward him with a good paying contract. It sucks because at 2-3M he is the best player to have, but at 4.5M unless he's producing points it's a waste of money.

Umm, wat?

You're actually arguing that he took a pay cut because in his heart of hearts he knew he didn't deserve it? Wtf is this...?

Umm, wat?

You're actually arguing that he took a pay cut because in his heart of hearts he knew he didn't deserve it? Wtf is this...?

He's not a greedy player like most athletes, if taking less money helps the team to get more valuable players he's the kind of guy who would do that, he has a good heart. Especially also being an undrafted player who didn't have an NHL career, I think he feels more than fortunate to be able to be playing in the NHL.

Actually he was given an ultimatum, take the deal or we`ll trade you at the deadline.

Actually he was given an ultimatum, take the deal or we`ll trade you at the deadline.

I love it when people throw information like this around... At the time of the signing a lot of people were anticipating a deal somewhere in the $3.5 million range. It was also during the summer so there was stil plenty of time for them to settle on a new deal. Your information is wrong.

• Upvote 1

I love it when people throw information like this around... At the time of the signing a lot of people were anticipating a deal somewhere in the $3.5 million range. It was also during the summer so there was stil plenty of time for them to settle on a new deal. Your information is wrong.

Shortly thereafter, the Canucks extended his contract with a four-year, $8 million deal on February 4, 2009,[34] quadrupling his $525,000 salary.[35] Following a game against the Edmonton Oilers on April 4

“If we’re going to win the Cup, we need guys to take pay cuts,” Kestler was quoted last week. “The way the salary cap is now, you really can’t get what you’re worth now if you want to win. Everybody in this locker-room knows that, and for us to be a great team going forward, we’re going to have to take a pay cut.”

The comments by Kestler and Burrows threw into focus the balancing act at play in the business of winning and the business of individual player salaries in the era of the salary cap.

Kestler’s remarks came two weeks after Burrows signed a four-year, $8 million contract to extend his career in Vancouver. Most analysts – including NHLPA executives and player agents – suggested Burrows left considerable money on the table by avoiding free agency, for which he would have been eligible July 1st, 2009.

Probably the biggest story of this season has been the outstanding play of Alex Burrows. He’s among the lowest paid players on the team and lately he’s been playing on the top line. He has become quite a versatile and important player. He kills penalities, he’s a bit of an agitator, he’s a great checker and also seems to be a killer clutch player.

It sounds like his new contract is a 4 year deal for $2 million per season. This is a big increase in salaray but probably not as much as he could have gotten on the open market as a free agent. It’s good to see that he’ll be able to keep playing with the team that gave him a chance coming out of the lowly East Coast Hockey League.

I can remember people saying he was worth way more, but he felt he was worth 2M and was happy playing for 2M, even though he was on the first line producing with the Sedins. At that time he was worth more, he was doing everything and I'm sure his agent said he could make much more on the open market, but he wanted to get it done before that and was happy with 2M.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup