The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The irony is I really didn't know much of this Alf character until I came to CDC.  Most I have learned (like the cat thing, and Melmac) I learned from other posters' comments.  ALF are my initials!  :lol:. This entire cute furry alien character has developed over these months, while on CDC.  I have never even seen an episode!  

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The irony is I really didn't know much of this Alf character until I came to CDC.  Most I have learned (like the cat thing, and Melmac) I learned from other posters' comments.  ALF are my initials!  :lol:. This entire cute furry alien character has developed over these months, while on CDC.  I have never even seen an episode!  

!!!...go watch an episode now.....you'll love it...might be good for the act too 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Burrows would  even probably admit that this season has been a disaster for him.

10 goal   -   20 point  season is not what he was aiming for.     4.5 mil per season is a waste of cap space for a 10 goal scorer..

Does anybody want to go through the work of adding up burrs salary over the years as a canuck and adding it up and averaging it out. I'm curious to see if anybody has a different appreciation of the guy.

Personally I think if he took a discount in the past we really shouldn't complain. 

Seems like a lack of integrity to me to bitch about him now. 

But maybe that's just me 

Are  you kidding ? Canucks have paid Burrows close to 30 million dollars.....

U think our club owes Burrows anything ?  30 MILLION DOLLARS for playing hockey.

I know guys that have played rugby for 20 years and done it for free. Banged up their bodies... Life long injuries as a result... All fo the  Love of the game. 

Wow, Burrows owes us 4.5 million for this season. He needs to produce like a 4.5 mil dollar player or else he will be shown the door.

10 goals is not enough.   Not nearly enough.         

• Upvote 1

I'll add again for like the tenth time in this thread....

i still wear the burrows jersey even after the questionable defendability of his actions after his chirping incidents.  I really respect the path he took and the relentlessness of becoming and staying an nhl player.   His slay the dragon goal was a great example of his awareness and ability for thievery, and jump.  There is still an element of his game that is needed on this team.  I am starting to like this line with him, Vey and Etem.  Craftiness, playmaking and speed.  They aren't superstars by any means but there's something happening when that line hits the ice.  May take until next year until there's a true chemistry there and that's the problem.  This roster isn't done changing.  

Mat the time of burrows signing he had come off of four very productive years with the Sedins and in the playoffs at a 2 million dollar cap hit.  His 4.5 per year was a reward for those years.  Looking at it purely from the perspective of today it seems excessive but it had value at the time.  I would still like to see him stay however at a reduced price around 2-3 per year.  He still has some things to teach these kids.  A couple more seasons, retire in our jersey then walk off into the sunset. Maybe the year we win the cup in 2018.  Go out like Peyton, lol.  

I hope he doesn't go out like Morrison.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

Burrows is my choice for the guy I want to stick around.  Maybe the Canucks owe Burrows ZERO, but I know for sure Burrows owes the Canucks ZERO.  He has impressed since his first year in the league and has never looked back. No matter what the circumstance he has never been a disappointment.

Beyond that, his play does not frustrate me. Way better than the other three you mention. I think he is helping the two guys he is playing with improve.  If he gets any better I will want him traded.

That's pretty much case for any employee-employer relationship: you have an agreement to do work and they have an agreement to pay you for it. Once the work is done and the payments made, the slate is clean.

4 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

he's my favourite player .. in saying that , if i was the owner Id be incredibly disappointed and I would seriously consider buying him out ..  id also buy a plane and a girlfriend .. just saying ..

"Buy a girlfriend"?? Umm........no.

12 hours ago, Quoted said:

Teams evolve. Burrows ECHL route was a great story but it's nearing the end. Besides, he also hurt the team a lot reputationally so it's not all rainbows and unicorns. The guy has had his turn and made a pile of money. No one owes him anything other than treating him with dignity so other players can expect the same. 

Outside of the Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi....who else earns your respect Quoted? In my books, Burrows has my respect. His contributions are valid in many ways outside of just grapes and apples. 

We've opened up cap space with Prust and Higgins. Vrbata will go as well.

In a similar way Bure finished off the flames in '94, there will always be a place in my books for Burrows who scored in game 7 OT to bury the Blackhawks. 

We need guys with heart and soul on the team to pass on the belief in the organisation. Burrows can do this and will still produce a decent return this year and next. 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Are  you kidding ? Canucks have paid Burrows close to 30 million dollars.....

U think our club owes Burrows anything ?  30 MILLION DOLLARS for playing hockey.

I know guys that have played rugby for 20 years and done it for free. Banged up their bodies... Life long injuries as a result... All fo the  Love of the game. 

Wow, Burrows owes us 4.5 million for this season. He needs to produce like a 4.5 mil dollar player or else he will be shown the door.

10 goals is not enough.   Not nearly enough.         

He scored both goals against Chicago to give us 15 extra playoff games, that in itself might be worth 30 million. Its forgotten that he was near legend before that. He was the key to the Sedins breakout seasons that have made them PR darlings. The owners have made plenty off of him.

In 2009 when Sedins were making 6 million Burrows was coming on strong. I figured we better sign him fast, he is as good as the Sedins, we are gonna lose him!  He signed a crappy 2 million a year contract, lol.  That was underpaid.

Anybody remember how he broke the 8 game home losing streak with a shorty in the last minute? That was.....nuts...and huge at the time.

Edited by clam linguine
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HarryCanuck said:

Outside of the Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi....who else earns your respect Quoted? In my books, Burrows has my respect. His contributions are valid in many ways outside of just grapes and apples. 

We've opened up cap space with Prust and Higgins. Vrbata will go as well.

In a similar way Bure finished off the flames in '94, there will always be a place in my books for Burrows who scored in game 7 OT to bury the Blackhawks. 

We need guys with heart and soul on the team to pass on the belief in the organisation. Burrows can do this and will still produce a decent return this year and next. 

I would say I respect every single player that makes the NHL. Even the lowest ranked 4th liner is one of the best in the world in a very hard game. I didn't say anything about respect though but rather he, and any player really, should be treated with dignity. That goes for someone put on waivers, traded, bought out, or released. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:46 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Nearly 8 years later, this thread is finally making a bit more sense.  It's hard not to love Burrows for all he's given and I'd be totally fine with him playing out the remaining year on his contract.  But if he doesn't go, someone else like Hansen probably has to.  I get the sell high narrative on Hansen and it wouldn't be the worst thing.  From a mentoring point of view though, though, Hansen is a better option because he can still bring it instead of just saying it.  So it wouldn't shock me if Burr is bought out this summer to save the waiver-eligible guys like Grenier.  I say this with no relish:  that would be a sad day, but one that is coming one way or another.

One of the wiser comments in the whole thread.  I like the way Hansen and Burr are compared along the lines of the mentoring vs. playing value criterion.  "To save the waiver eligible players like Grenier" is also noteworthy: who else -- a la Corrado -- will be made vulnerable to keep Burr?  (We dumped Corrado to keep Weber.)   I think Burr is done at TDL (least likely) or summer.  If the team is as successful at the Draft as I suspect they will be, a lot is going to change.  We have a backlog of forwards that need a genuine chance to prove themselves -- before a second crop of draftees get a chance (i.e., Virt, Mac and Horvat are the new norm). Rotating 5 or 6 of them in and out is tricky with waivers a factor; actually just the numbers suggest Burr is done this Spring/Summer.  It's not his skating that is killing him, it's the inability to finish or break up plays/forecheck like he used to. Yes, he still blocks shots and can pk, but so could HIggins. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Quoted said:

Can't cling to the past either. It's a results business. 

Yet people were saying that about the  Sedins not long ago too too.  And, well, we'd be hooped without them so the past sometimes is needed as we transition to the future.  They are instrumental in that, and Burr's a huge part of that room.

When production in the way of numbers falls off, it isn't always for good.  And when players contribute in other ways and do quietly go about their business as asked to, there can still be a role for them, even if diminished.

• Upvote 3

The problem with waiving a 4.5 million guy is that you end up with a ton of money on the farm and little Cap relief to show for it. Trading is an option, but a guy with that Cap hit who's under-performing? Sorry. Mike Milbury is no longer an NHL GM.

So the way to move a contract like that is to take back one that's just as bad. So what's the point? You might as well hang onto him.