The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Unfortunately for Burrows, this thread may actually be a talking point now. Fortunately for us fans, it came 8 years after this thread started and he's had a great career with the Canucks. Will be tough for him to get another contract with the Canucks after this season, so let's hope for a good year from him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

You may love Burr but it is time for him to go. He is a great locker room guy to have around but that only gets you so far...

Where would you like him to go? Trade? Nobody will touch that contract. 

Waive to minors? Ridiculously disrespectful, short term and long term to future FA's. 

No. You play him when you do, sit him otherwise and allow him a honourable exit. That's how franchises earn class. Hey, it ain't like we're gonna win the cup whether he's in the lineup or not, right?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Where would you like him to go? Trade? Nobody will touch that contract. 

Waive to minors? Ridiculously disrespectful, short term and long term to future FA's. 

No. You play him when you do, sit him otherwise and allow him a honourable exit. That's how franchises earn class. Hey, it ain't like we're gonna win the cup whether he's in the lineup or not, right?

He should go to the minors, he is just taking up a roster spot. Etem and Burr were just as useless in preseason. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He could be a player coach in the minors. He could begin the new phase of his life after playing. He'd be a great motivator for the young guys. Instant credibility.

He's still under contract to play. I'm not disagreeing with you, I think he'd make a great coach. But I don't think that's how it works. 

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He could be a player coach in the minors. He could begin the new phase of his life after playing. He'd be a great motivator for the young guys. Instant credibility.

By all accounts he's been doing that here with the young guys. Even if he's not putting up the points he use to, he's still a solid checker and top pk player. He truly earned this contract being so grossly underpaid on his last deal. He deserves to play out his final year.

• Upvote 3

On 10/12/2016 at 10:00 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Why because i see Burrows as  a guy that contributed next to nothing to our club last season and single handedly with his poor sportsmanship turned the refs in the league against our club. 

So, pay him $4 million a year to play in the minors???     YUP, DRUNK!

Keep him! For these reasons:

1. He'll provide intangibles; leadership, camaraderie, experience. These things are very important throughout the course of an 82 game season. Having as many young guys on the team as we do, he's someone they can look up to, someone who has come from the bottom, made it to the Show, and has been successful here. The Sedins are excellent leaders no doubt (you won't hear me say anything bad about them so don't jump to conclusions) but Burr is perhaps more relatable to the young guys. A French-Canadian guy who loves ball hockey. What's not to like? 

2. It would be a classless thing to dump him now. After all he's done for the franchise, coming up through the minors, doing anything he could to make the team then making himself invaluable to the team, what more can you ask a hockey player to do? He signed arguably the best value contract in the entire NHL for 2M per season during his best years while putting up 50 points on the top line (plus PP & PK). As has been said, treating players properly is how a franchise earns its respect. 

And to a lesser degree...

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays within the organization after retirement in some capacity similar to Manny Malhotra. Hard to do that if he's traded/waived/sent down. Although, it's not impossible (see: Trevor Linden). 

And he's scored some immensely valuable goals for us! 2009 SH breakaway goal on Cam Ward to stop the massive losing streak... 2009 playoffs, game 4 in OT on Chris Mason to sweep the Blues... 2011 playoffs, game 7 in OT on Corey Crawford to eliminate Chicago (he also scored our 1st goal of that game)... 2011 playoffs, game 2 in OT on Tim Thomas to which put us up 2-0 at the time...

Let him play out this year, exit gracefully, and get a new contract elsewhere or transition into his next phase! 

• Upvote 1

I think that there are likely players in utica that would make more of an impact than Burrows seems to be having. 

But as a poster above me says,  why not just let him play out his last year and end his career with dignity.   He bleeds our colours,  and deserves to go out accordingly. 

Maybe due to the fact we stuck by him,  he would return the favour and enter some sort of coaching capacity for us.   Not sure what that would be....  Perhaps training/effort coach.