The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

I've been a huge Burrows fan, but this is pretty disgusting and though it sucks to realize you were wrong about a player's character, this is awful:

After the game, Tootoo claimed Alexandre Burrows made disparaging comments about his "personal life and family" while both were serving penalties. Tootoo released a book last year detailing his struggles with alcoholism following his brother Terence's suicide in 2002.

Tootoo said he challenged Burrows to a fight and the forward declined.

"I have no respect for that guy," Tootoo said. "Nor should the league. They shouldn't tolerate stuff like that."

- CBC

So because people make a claim without actually providing details it's fact?   One guy who's writing a book and currently promoting that and another who's in trouble (again).

And I wonder what is said coming back the other way?  Or do you really believe Burrows just sits there in a one sided exchange?  (He doesn't...because even in the Tootoo report it was "a heated exchange").  Personal stuff...which, in that situation, is comparable to "yo momma" jokes.  Unless Tootoo has a statement of exactly what was said, it's nothing.  

It's trash talking and unless we know what is said BOTH ways, it's a one sided rumour.  Tootoo's in trouble...of course he will look to somehow downplay his end of things by offering an explanation.  How much of his anger/frustration was to do with the goal that went off him?

A couple of opponents let him get under their skin...that's part of his job.    Sticks and stones stuff.

Edited by debluvscanucks

I've been a huge Burrows fan, but this is pretty disgusting and though it sucks to realize you were wrong about a player's character, this is awful:

- CBC

Tootoo is no angel himself, I am sure he must have said something to get Burrows to chirp back. From what I understand though just the fact the Tootoo brings what was said on ice to the media takes away any credibility he has. This is hockey, whatever happened to what is said on the ice stays on the ice. People made a career of chirping on the ice. If Tootoo can't handle that stuff then he should retire. Hockey is not a game for those who's feelings get hurt easily,

• Upvote 1

Considering the time when Burrows lifted up some snow off the ice on his stickblade and held it up to Mike Richards, I don't doubt Tootoo's allegations at all.

I had not heard that one.  That's a beauty!  Way to go Burr.  I love that guy!  He's one guy we should never trade.

• Upvote 3

Considering the time when Burrows lifted up some snow off the ice on his stickblade and held it up to Mike Richards, I don't doubt Tootoo's allegations at all.

Two sides to every story and I'm convinced there are no innocent parties in trash talking...that you give some and you take some.  Most let it roll off them...but some who need anger management don't.  That's what they teach you ... to walk (skate) away. 

It's part of the game...every game....always has been.  Mic some of the guys up and you can't play it back in front of children...so not surprising.

Edited by debluvscanucks

Tootoo is no angel himself, I am sure he must have said something to get Burrows to chirp back. From what I understand though just the fact the Tootoo brings what was said on ice to the media takes away any credibility he has. This is hockey, whatever happened to what is said on the ice stays on the ice. People made a career of chirping on the ice. If Tootoo can't handle that stuff then he should retire. Hockey is not a game for those who's feelings get hurt easily,

Some people never understand what is being stated. There is chirping someone, then there is being a total douche. IF you are going to be a total douche then step up and back your talk up. A player like Tootoo who has had past demons and RETURNED to the NHL on his own merit, can and has stepped up. This only shows us as a team of sore losers. Maybe if Burr put a little more effort and heart into the game as he does being a childish nerve hitter, I bet his game would improve 100% I'm not saying he is as bad as our D but he sure isn't lighting up the back of any goalies necks....

• Upvote 1

Some people never understand what is being stated. There is chirping someone, then there is being a total douche. IF you are going to be a total douche then step up and back your talk up. A player like Tootoo who has had past demons and RETURNED to the NHL on his own merit, can and has stepped up. This only shows us as a team of sore losers. Maybe if Burr put a little more effort and heart into the game as he does being a childish nerve hitter, I bet his game would improve 100% I'm not saying he is as bad as our D but he sure isn't lighting up the back of any goalies necks....

Nope.  Tootoo is a known goof, with a history of drug abuse and stupid on ice behaviour.  I see no reason to believe anything the guy says.  He's a RAT, and has zero skill.  He skates around trying to injure players.  He's one of those guys, when his career is over, I be he's penniless. Furthermore, Burr is playing great! 

Nope.  Tootoo is a known goof, with a history of drug abuse and stupid on ice behaviour.  I see no reason to believe anything the guy says.  He's a RAT, and has zero skill.  He skates around trying to injure players.  He's one of those guys, when his career is over, I be he's penniless. Furthermore, Burr is playing great! 

Then you are a hateful person with tunnel vision. You will never understand reason and arguing with you is going to be pointless. That would make you the goof.

• Upvote 3

Then you are a hateful person with tunnel vision. You will never understand reason and arguing with you is going to be pointless. That would make you the goof.

I don't see the need for a personal attack.  We are discussing our opinions' about hockey players - not each other.  Yes, from your POV my opinion can be goofy, but calling me a goof (considering your opinion about Burrow's comments) is rather ironic - don't you think?:)

Two sides to every story and I'm convinced there are no innocent parties in trash talking...that you give some and you take some.  Most let it roll off them...but some who need anger management don't.  That's what they teach you ... to walk (skate) away. 

It's part of the game...every game....always has been.  Mic some of the guys up and you can't play it back in front of children...so not surprising.

So then I assume you have no problem with anything Sean Avery has said or done?

Deb, if that's the way you view these things, that's fine. Not everyone on the ice is into trash-talking, but there are some rats who try to drag anyone and everyone into it. I'm not trying to justify it or not justify it. I've heard 15-year-olds say some things on the ice you wouldn't believe.

But based on this case, I tend to believe Tootoo as opposed to not believe him. Burrows has a history of this stuff.

I don't see the need for a personal attack.  We are discussing our opinions' about hockey players - not each other.  Yes, from your POV my opinion can be goofy, but calling me a goof (considering your opinion about Burrow's comments) is rather ironic - don't you think?:)

You are speaking VERY bad of a person and NOT to thier face......you are WORSE than Burrows in this case lol I also stated Burrows isn't playing as bad as our D which is FACT! And note I only state that if Burr is going to Talk the Talk then he should STEP UP! My opinion of you is based on your reply as it says so much about you.

Edited by fwybwed

Deb, if that's the way you view these things, that's fine. Not everyone on the ice is into trash-talking, but there are some rats who try to drag anyone and everyone into it. I'm not trying to justify it or not justify it. I've heard 15-year-olds say some things on the ice you wouldn't believe.

But based on this case, I tend to believe Tootoo as opposed to not believe him. Burrows has a history of this stuff.

What about Tootoo's history makes you want to believe the guy?

I watch hockey for the speed and skill, not below the belt, crossing the line trash talking BS... The play should do the talking for itself. If the only way they can win is by low blow personal attacks then they're no better than Donald Trump. If Tyler Seguin and Zack Kassian can be traded for character issues, I hope Benning does the same with Burrows if he's serious about building a character team.

You are speaking VERY bad of a person and NOT to there face......you are WORSE than Burrows in this case lol I also stated Burrows isn't playing as bad as our D which is FACT! And note I only state that if Burr is going to Talk the Talk then he should STEP UP! My opinion of you is based on your reply as it says so much about you.

You're entitled to your opinion.  I disagree with it.  I see irony in your comments towards me, and your support of Burrows.  I am stating my opinion, which differs from yours.  I believe Tootoo has a history that makes him not to be trusted.  I like Burr as a player, and think he's playing great.  You can toss insults my way, but those insults are very similar to what you are saying Burrows did to Tootoo.  That's ironic IMO.

• Upvote 1