The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

The current story, on TV, is more flawed than the books, although easier to fix than the book issues. However the grand scale of the show has really sunk in this summer - after Hardhome and Winterfell - and so I cannot wait until S6. Despite all my problems with it :lol:

That's how it is with most book to film adaptations. It's impossible to fit all of ASOIAF's content into a 7-8 season series. Could the TV show be better? Yes, but I think they've done a pretty decent job, with the exception of the Dorne storyline :sick: .

I disagree, there were two astonishing points in the Dorne storyline that made it well worthwhile :wub: .

Yeah that one sand snake is pretty hot but that story line sucks. Especially that fight in the garden. Reminded me of Hercules and the legendary journeys. Love the show though. Definitely my fav by far since breaking bad ended.

I always knew the writers were going to struggle once they hit post-book territory, and so they have.

** I WILL ASSUME EVERYONE READING THIS HAS CAUGHT UP AND FINISHED SEASON FIVE. **

When Stannis killed his daughter, it turned him from a badass character into a morally depraved villain. There was always the internal struggle but this just seemed too inconsistent. I thought Stannis was being built up as a different character and for him to choose to kill his own daughter was too sudden of a change for it to make sense.

Upon watching the rape scene with Sansa and Ramsay, I became upset in a different way. Was this an important scene? Yes, but for who? For Theon and not Sansa. You quickly realize that the scene gave no character development for Sansa. It truly was a poor decision and I think the writers deserve whatever backlash they get. Girl gets raped, fine. Girl learns nothing from it. Bad. Rape scene drives the plotline of the bystander. Bad. What do you guys think?

I always knew the writers were going to struggle once they hit post-book territory, and so they have.

** I WILL ASSUME EVERYONE READING THIS HAS CAUGHT UP AND FINISHED SEASON FIVE. **

When Stannis killed his daughter, it turned him from a badass character into a morally depraved villain. There was always the internal struggle but this just seemed too inconsistent. I thought Stannis was being built up as a different character and for him to choose to kill his own daughter was too sudden of a change for it to make sense.

Upon watching the rape scene with Sansa and Ramsay, I became upset in a different way. Was this an important scene? Yes, but for who? For Theon and not Sansa. You quickly realize that the scene gave no character development for Sansa. It truly was a poor decision and I think the writers deserve whatever backlash they get. Girl gets raped, fine. Girl learns nothing from it. Bad. Rape scene drives the plotline of the bystander. Bad. What do you guys think?

What is a girl supposed to learn from rape?

The point of the scene was to highlight Ramsay's depravity and Theon's conflict -- I don't think this is much different than Ramsay's assault on Theon's own sexuality

I have no problem with the rape scene, and I'm sorta confused as to why so many people did

The point of the scene was to highlight Ramsay's depravity and Theon's conflict -- I don't think this is much different than Ramsay's assault on Theon's own sexuality

I have no problem with the rape scene, and I'm sorta confused as to why so many people did

Yeah it was weird how so many people had a problem with it. It made sense within the direction of the story. It would've been nonsense if Theon suddenly switched gears and saved Sansa from Ramsay out of nowhere.

Yeah it was weird how so many people had a problem with it. It made sense within the direction of the story. It would've been nonsense if Theon suddenly switched gears and saved Sansa from Ramsay out of nowhere.

You guys just ignored everything I just said. Some people are really stupid and think the rape scene was unnecessary, regardless of context. In this context it makes sense. Of course she's going to get raped. But the only reason they put it in so that it could build up Theon's storyline and not the storyline of one of our most prominent POV characters. And so you can relate to Theon and his catharsis when he later pushes Myranda off the railings and "saves" Sansa.

Again, the problem I have with this was that the whole thing was NOT about Sansa. Whenever you put rape on TV, it's going to create controversy. But when the woman who got raped is in the exact same shape and undergoes absolutely no change, it's extremely POOR writing.

@Glassjaw. What could she have learned? It's not about learning per se, but let me flip that and ask, did Theon really learn anything new about Ramsay here? I mean, THEON? But if you are right and the scene was all about Ramsay and Theon, don't you see a problem with that? That a scene about raping Sansa was all about the men and not about her?

People just complain about the Sansa scene because they still remember her as the little girl from season 1.

There have been TONS of scenes far worse than than that nobody even batted an eye at.

There's definitely a double standard being employed there.

People seemed to be fine with Theon having his dick cut off, but to simulate raping a young girl, well that's over the line. :rolleyes:

@Glassjaw. What could she have learned? It's not about learning per se, but let me flip that and ask, did Theon really learn anything new about Ramsay here? I mean, THEON? But if you are right and the scene was all about Ramsay and Theon, don't you see a problem with that? That a scene about raping Sansa was all about the men and not about her?

Again, the problem I have with this was that the whole thing was NOT about Sansa. Whenever you put rape on TV, it's going to create controversy. But when the woman who got raped is in the exact same shape and undergoes absolutely no change, it's extremely POOR writing.

dude, it's a show about a harsh collection of courts in a medieval fantasy world. i don't watch it for confirmations of narrative or political or social prejudices or biases i hold in 2015.

anyway, the woman who got raped isn't in the exact same position. in the following episode, she started planning her escape. by the end of the season, it appears she has escaped. how do you know her character has not changed? remember in episode 3 of that season, the old lady walks up to sansa and says "the north remembers" and there's that dramatic pause. i think it would be foolish to think that sansa is done developing.

but speculation aside, sansa's arranged marriage was most likely going to be consummated, so what did you expect? her to suddenly get a burst of agency out of it, unlike the vast majority of the characters in the show who have sexual mistreatment done to them just because, and become some feminist icon? now THAT would have been uncharacteristic and counter intuitive to the entire show thus far, because sexual violence is just part of the show -- but up until recently, it hasn't been applied to the good looking, sympathetic, young stars.

as an aside, did the excessive and vulgar emasculation of theon--and the subsequent series of jokes and commentary about it--bother you? after all, the only change he went through after his (much worse) rape was that he became a servile dog. or, what about Dany being raped by Khal? or was her rape acceptable because she became powerful a few seasons later?

i completely disagree that this has anything to do with poor writing. i think it has to do with consistent writing. poor writing would have been, for me, special treatment applied to a star just because she's a star, while everyone else sits in the gutter

• Upvote 1

There's definitely a double standard being employed there.

People seemed to be fine with Theon having his dick cut off, but to simulate raping a young girl, well that's over the line. :rolleyes:

Theon's simulate dick-cutting-off you mean? If one was 'simulated' the other was too. Theon was a warrior, an enemy of the Boltons. Sansa is a lady, an ally of the Boltons. It's why the scene was so unnecessary. They had a chance to make Sansa 'evil Sansa', and turned her into poor baby Sansa instead. Horrible decision in hindsight.

Theon's simulate dick-cutting-off you mean? If one was 'simulated' the other was too. Theon was a warrior, an enemy of the Boltons. Sansa is a lady, an ally of the Boltons. It's why the scene was so unnecessary. They had a chance to make Sansa 'evil Sansa', and turned her into poor baby Sansa instead. Horrible decision in hindsight.

Agreed. Both were simulated.

To object to one and not the other is a double standard. Personally, I object to neither.

You guys just ignored everything I just said. Some people are really stupid and think the rape scene was unnecessary, regardless of context. In this context it makes sense. Of course she's going to get raped. But the only reason they put it in so that it could build up Theon's storyline and not the storyline of one of our most prominent POV characters. And so you can relate to Theon and his catharsis when he later pushes Myranda off the railings and "saves" Sansa.

She had maybe a few minutes screen time after that. I don't know exactly what sort of changes you expected. Also, there is no predictable way that people in that situation react anyways.

• Upvote 1

She had maybe a few minutes screen time after that. I don't know exactly what sort of changes you expected. Also, there is no predictable way that people in that situation react anyways.

Exactly. There seem to be a lot of people who are basing their opinions on how a girl would react to such a situation on how someone in 21st century North America would act.

Westeros is an ugly pace. Serving girls get strung up for sleeping with the wrong people. Children get covered in pitch and set afire, just to show their parents who the boss is. Women are hunted and ripped apart by dogs for sport. Sometimes they are flayed alive....The list goes on and on.

As far as I'm concerned, it would have been poor writing had Sansa not been raped.

Exactly. There seem to be a lot of people who are basing their opinions on how a girl would react to such a situation on how someone in 21st century North America would act.

Westeros is an ugly pace. Serving girls get strung up for sleeping with the wrong people. Children get covered in pitch and set afire, just to show their parents who the boss is. Women are hunted and ripped apart by dogs for sport. Sometimes they are flayed alive....The list goes on and on.

As far as I'm concerned, it would have been poor writing had Sansa not been raped.

I thought her getting taped was disturbing but it fit with the shows story and characters. When they hinted that they would have to consummate the marriage I figured it would go down in that fashion.