The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

[Game of Thrones - S3E9 Spoiler alert]

An episodic triumph that commands a truly emotional reaction from the watcher. Beyond our personal attachments to the protagonist Stark family, we once again see that Westeros rewards the honorable and righteous with gifts of untimely passing. Treachery, Machiavellian pursuits of power, and complete and utter moral abandon seem to be a recipe for success in this realm. While we have continued to see those who rule with cunning fear, and money, continually rewarded in the show, in "stark" contrast, we see the Mother of Dragons amassing power in a more honorable way - through liberation. It will be great to see her story unfold in (hopefully) an epic homecoming to King's Landing, but as this season of the series has shown us, there are no promises which cannot be broken (see House Frey). Her vulnerability can't be understated, as when Daario could have killed her in her bath chamber, we see that she too is not immune to risk.

While virtually every element of the show can be praised, I think the one amazing truth to why the show is brilliant, is in its inherent unpredictability. No character is safe, no line cannot be crossed, and as a reader/viewer, that is something fairly unique to television today. I'm also a big fan of Breaking Bad, but it would be impossible to imagine a scenario short of the finale, where Walter White meets an untimely demise. Few programs are as daring, while being so mesmerizing, that we can't help but be captivated by the magic. While the emotional highs and lows of the show take us on a veritable roller-coaster ride, I for one can't wait to see if we get off safely, or the bloody thing crashes in an absolute catastrophic tragedy.

Cheers

Obviously, however if you want to play that game; If Rob didnt marry Jane (Talisa) the red wedding never would have happened either.

If Edmure had not have botched Robb's plan they never would have been desperate...

You can go on and on, the fault is not all on Catelyn.

Yeah, plenty of blame to go around....

BTW: Anyone else notice that Walder Frey is Filch from the Harry Potter movies?

Guest Gumballthechewy

Emilia-Clarke-nude-dragon-game-of-thrones.jpg

Who doesn't root for the topless chick with pet dragons?

Real talk though, the waterworks start when a wolf dies

True dat.

Edited by Gumballthechewy
  • Upvote 1

I hadn't read the books - but had a inclination of what was going to happen. Was still shocked by how 'quick' it happened.

My wife fell asleep, about 10 minutes into the episode, so going to watch it again to fully digest it, and to see her reaction..... as she has NO idea.

I hadn't read the books - but had a inclination of what was going to happen. Was still shocked by how 'quick' it happened.

My wife fell asleep, about 10 minutes into the episode, so going to watch it again to fully digest it, and to see her reaction..... as she has NO idea.

I'd tell her to get ready for a big "revealing" scene with Edmure and Rosalyn...

Who doesn't root for the topless chick with pet dragons?

Me. Can't stand her.

Also, I've seen a lot of reactions of people who have decided to stop watching the show or requesting they change the storyline from the books because of the Red Wedding. Come on. You should know by now this isn't your stereotypical Disney bs. There are plenty of shows you can watch that will follow the played out 'Hero goes on journey, gets the girl, defeats the villain, etc' formula.

Edited by Bitter Melon

Guest Gumballthechewy

Me. Can't stand her.

:P

Also, I've seen a lot of reactions of people who have decided to stop watching the show or requesting they change the storyline from the books because of the Red Wedding. Come on. You should know by now this isn't your stereotypical Disney bs. There are plenty of shows you can watch that will follow the played out 'Hero goes on journey, gets the girl, defeats the villain, etc' formula.

Pffft... Honestly, I'm getting tired of that formula, GoT is a much more realistic view on the fantasy genere. It's basically how s*** went down back in the day, only with less magic and dragons and all that. :lol:

Besides, if people don't like it they can piss off and watch something else... <_<

Edited by Gumballthechewy

Danerys Stormborn Targaryan, Rightful Queen of Westeros, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi of the Khalesaar, Freer of Slaves, Blood of Old Valeryia doesn't do it for you eh?

Nope. I suppose if I don't like her though she'll have no choice but to burn me to ash with fire and blood.

Don't know how to do spoiler option, so just in case: SPOILER!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I was on a plane when reading the chapter. Obviously, I couldn't do a very verbal outburst at the time, but I remember wanting to chuck the book. I simply looked helplessly at my questioning hubby and kept reading, only to become more and more overwhelmed.

SOOOOOOOO amazingly written. REALLY glad I read it before watching it - George RR Martin's account could NEVER be as dramatically captured on the screen as in writing. Arya riding up to the gates - not very often I had such a feeling of utter despair when reading a book. Brilliant.

Don't know how to do spoiler option, so just in case: SPOILER!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I was on a plane when reading the chapter. Obviously, I couldn't do a very verbal outburst at the time, but I remember wanting to chuck the book. I simply looked helplessly at my questioning hubby and kept reading, only to become more and more overwhelmed.

SOOOOOOOO amazingly written. REALLY glad I read it before watching it - George RR Martin's account could NEVER be as dramatically captured on the screen as in writing. Arya riding up to the gates - not very often I had such a feeling of utter despair when reading a book. Brilliant.

you wont be disappointed when you watch it

Danerys Stormborn Targaryan, Rightful Queen of Westeros, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi of the Khalesaar, Freer of Slaves, Blood of Old Valeryia doesn't do it for you eh?

I support her for other reasons. :bigblush: