The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

On 8/16/2018 at 9:41 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

Raonic defeats shapovalov in their second career meeting.

There have been a lot of CAN vs CAN matches this year in tournaments outside of Canada.

Raonic vs Shap twice

Raonic vs Auger Aliassime

Auger Aliassime vs Pospisil

Pospisil vs Shap

and now after qualifying for his first grand slam main draw, Auger Aliassime will play Shapovalov in round 1!

13 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

and now after qualifying for his first grand slam main draw, Auger Aliassime will play Shapovalov in round 1!

Saw that yesterday and immediately thought to myself that there's something fishy with the qualifiers' draw.

Also, Peter Polansky should retire right now because he'll never accomplish anything greater than this:

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Toews said:

A big &^@# you to the douchebag who ruined the US Open women's final. 

IMO both the umpire and Serena share responsibility for what happened.

The code violation for coaching was harsh given how often it happens at the tour level, but Mouratoglou's actions were technically illegal. Smashing your racquet is almost always called a code violation and two of those is by rule a point penalty. The game penalty for the third code violation was also harsh if you consider what other players have been allowed to say to umpires in the past, but it was still Serena's choice to continue arguing with him. Better discretion from both of them probably would have prevented this from happening in the first place.

The crowd booing throughout the ceremony until Serena told them to stop was disgraceful. Osaka deserved much better than to have her victory tarnished like that.

10 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

IMO both the umpire and Serena share responsibility for what happened.

The code violation for coaching was harsh given how often it happens at the tour level, but Mouratoglou's actions were technically illegal. Smashing your racquet is almost always called a code violation and two of those is by rule a point penalty. The game penalty for the third code violation was also harsh if you consider what other players have been allowed to say to umpires in the past, but it was still Serena's choice to continue arguing with him. Better discretion from both of them probably would have prevented this from happening in the first place.

The crowd booing throughout the ceremony until Serena told them to stop was disgraceful. Osaka deserved much better than to have her victory tarnished like that.

I didn't have much of an issue with the other penalties but the last one was ridiculous. It was a complete lack of awareness by the umpire. It effectively killed the match. As an umpire you don't make such a huge occasion about yourself. You simply have to be the bigger person in that situation and realize that people didn't come there to see you. They came there to see the competition.

22 minutes ago, gurn said:

?

Three successive penalties led to a game penalty which effectively killed a US Open Final robbing the victor the satisfaction of her first Grand Slam while leaving the loser feeling unjustly persecuted because of one small person's ego. 

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

I didn't have much of an issue with the other penalties but the last one was ridiculous. It was a complete lack of awareness by the umpire. It effectively killed the match. As an umpire you don't make such a huge occasion about yourself. You simply have to be the bigger person in that situation and realize that people didn't come there to see you. They came there to see the competition.

I generally agree with the idea that the umpire should just eat some of the players' words and move on with it. It's still not normal for someone to repeatedly demand an apology from the umpire, call him a thief, and insinuate that she was going to prevent him from ever working another one of her matches. As much as I agree she was hard done by with the third code violation, it's still her responsiblity to conduct herself in a professional manner. This kind of behaviour shouldn't be encouraged.

At the end of the day, the coaching rules need to be enforced more strictly or done away with entirely. This gray area is confusing for everyone involved and something like this was bound to happen sooner or later.

• Upvote 2

The stadium was full of Americans rooting for Serena. They continued to boo during the trophy ceremony. Disgusting fans. Glad Serena told them to stfu. Regarding the first warning Serena got, her coach admitted he was coaching from the box! It was a good call from the ump. Serena was behaving like a diva, calling him a liar and thief. Pathetic. She should have taken the warning call and carried on but noooooo she has a tantrum and breaks her racket. 2nd violation justified. Serena is a poor loser, in my opinion. Poor Naomi was apologizing  to the crowd when she should've been enjoying the moment...meanwhile she was in tears and had her head down all because of what went down.

7 hours ago, infinitecarnage said:

look at all the social justice nazis on twitter playing the racism and sexism card to justify serena's disgusting behavior. low-life buffoons.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/tennis/ex-tennis-pros-criticize-us-open-final-refereeing/ar-BBN3Rqt?ocid=spartandhp

In her post-match press conference, Williams pointed out that it was “sexist” to be punished for her actions.

Billie Jean King, former world No. 1 and winner of 39 grand slams, pushed for the implementation of coaching between points and slammed the “double standards” of refereeing in the WTA and ATP.

Former professional Mardy Fish criticized the decision as well, claiming that other players are also guilty of similar offences.

Ex-Canadian player and current tennis analyst Jesse Levine took a similar stance, too.

Another ex-pro in Andy Roddick really laid into the umpires, saying that it’s the “worst refereeing” he’s ever seen.

Roddick eventually backtracked on his “worst refereeing” take, but went on to mention similar incidents that went unpunished, including umpires who’ve actually “coached” players on court.

There was a controversy that occurred during the early rounds of the U.S. Open when a chair umpire was seen chatting with Nick Kyrgios between games. Despite dropping the first set, Kyrgios recovered and won 4-6, 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-0 after that quick pep talk."

The actual tweets of these folks didn't cut and paste but are on the linked page.

This situation has created quite the stir as it has gotten someone like myself interested, and I haven't really watched Tennis since Martina Hingis/Anna Kournikova days.

So first I wanted some clarification on her first warning for coaching, this rule makes absolutely no sense to me as sports fan and someone who has played all kinds of sports through out my life. Why would a coach who's trying to help position a player better be considered cheating in a sport? The whole point of a coach is to help someone who's struggling or needs a tip to improve, I'm sorry but this rule is a joke imo it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Second, because this weird rule exists why does the player get penalized for it if it's the coach who's breaking the rule? Why not eject the coach from the match to prevent it from happening... Then if the player isn't even looking at the coach for signs even if he's trying to do something, how is it still her fault? 

That last part leads into this part, so I could see Serena's frustration if she wasn't looking at her coach for signs but is accused of cheating anyways, I would be upset to if I was in her shoes. Then you have this one smash on the ground of a racquet is enough to give another type of weird penalty? Sports is an emotional game you can't always be happy when things aren't going your way, it's actually worse to hold it in then express it. Now if she was throwing a tantrum and throwing a racquet around and smashing it continuously all over the place, well then that's a different story and I would agree on some type of penalty, but just smashing it once on the ground really?

Then the last one calling him a thief, really that's the word that finally pushed his button? Anyways chances were high Serena was going to lose anyways so I don't believe any of these situations were going to change the outcome of the match, but the fact this all started from a rule that imo makes no sense at all should be changed, a coach should be able to be on the court with their player to talk with in between sets.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

15 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This situation has created quite the stir as it has gotten someone like myself interested, and I haven't really watched Tennis since Martina Hingis/Anna Kournikova days.

So first I wanted some clarification on her first warning for coaching, this rule makes absolutely no sense to me as sports fan and someone who has played all kinds of sports through out my life. Why would a coach who's trying to help position a player better be considered cheating in a sport? The whole point of a coach is to help someone who's struggling or needs a tip to improve, I'm sorry but this rule is a joke imo it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Second, because this weird rule exists why does the player get penalized for it if it's the coach who's breaking the rule? Why not eject the coach from the match to prevent it from happening... Then if the player isn't even looking at the coach for signs even if he's trying to do something, how is it still her fault? 

That last part leads into this part, so I could see Serena's frustration if she wasn't looking at her coach for signs but is accused of cheating anyways, I would be upset to if I was in her shoes. Then you have this one smash on the ground of a racket is enough to give another type of weird penalty? Sports is an emotional game you can't always be happy when things aren't going your way, it's actually worse to hold it in then express it. Now if she was throwing a tantrum and throwing a racket around and smashing it continuously all over the place, well then that's a different story and I would agree on some type of penalty, but just smashing it once on the ground really?

Then the last one calling him a thief, really that's the word that finally pushed his button? Anyways chances were high Serena was going to lose anyways so I don't believe any of these situations were going to change the outcome of the match, but the fact this all started from a rule that imo makes no sense at all should be changed, a coach should be able to be on the court with their player to talk with in between sets.

We can debate over whether the rules are stupid, but the bottom line is, they are rules and they were broken.

If Serena has a problem with the rules as they are written, she should come out and say so. Instead, she chose to play the sexism/racism card.

Zero sympathy...<_<

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We can debate over whether the rules are stupid, but the bottom line is, they are rules and they were broken.

If Serena has a problem with the rules as they are written, she should come out and say so. Instead, she chose to play the sexism/racism card.

Zero sympathy...<_<

As much as we can hate on her for playing that card, she has a very valid point though, and the fact men in Tennis are backing her up just proves her point more though.