The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

I'm just really disappointed. The amount of UFE's he has is not good. I understand he is playing an aggressive game, but his approach shots just aren't doing him any good. You can't give Nadal a chance to hit a passing shot... The first few games in this match he was doing the right things, but he just fell apart. Oh well, Nadal deserves it. I'll be cheering for Wawrinka in the finals if Fed loses.

That's Federer's best and only shot at beating Nadal. Risking the passing shot (which Nadal is extremely good at due to his topspin) is better than fighting at the baseline. During his prime, Federer could pin Rafa down with his forehand and eventually one of them would take the chance at scoring a winner. Now Feds will hit UFEs with his forehand, which never used to happen.

Simply put, the only way to beat Nadal (other than Rafa having a bad day, which rarely happens in slams) is to outhit him. Federer can't do that, since his game is completely based on tactics and placement shots. If Wawrinka hits really hard and dictates the game, he could pull off the upset.

^ Props to you guys for staying up to watch! I had to bail. Was way too tired.

Fed's backhand isn't what it used to be. He used to rely on it to provide some winners but not any more. Andy Murray is not at 100% health yet. Would have been interesting to see if Fed would have beaten him in better circumstances. Making a semi is a good result, but it was helped by the fact that Andy in the quarters was struggling.

So with the loss Wawrinka is now the new Swiss #1. Well deserved IMO. He has toiled in Roger's shadow for a long time

All of Federer's weapons have dropped off. His backhand was probably the least out of them all when he was in his prime. His serve painted the corners and his forehand was NASTY. I still think his serve is kinda there, but his baseline game has dropped off quite a bit.

I don't watch a lot of Federer anymore because it makes me sad to think about how much he's dropped off. And he won't win a slam so long as Nadal is healthy.

Li Na's sense of humour is very endearing. Congrats to her. And, in thanking her agent: "thanks for making me rich". Husband: "thanks a lot, you a nice guy". She's great.

That was hilarious. She seems like such a genuine person. It's so much better than someone like Serena who speaks in cliches.

I'm thrilled for Li Na. She is a great ambassador for the sport in China and around the world. She plays the game the right way and with the right attitude. And her game from a technical standpoint is solid too. She's strong, tactical, and utilizes a wide array of shots during her matches.

I root for Serena simply because she's the best in the game, but Li Na was deserving of another Slam. She's a fun and easy person to cheer for.

• Upvote 1

Will be cheering for Wawrinka tonight. Hope he can pull of the upset. I dislike Nadal.

Never heard of this before. The guy is a very hard worker and is extremely well liked by the other players on tour. He also has had his share of tormenting injuries he has had to spend long periods of time rehabbing from.

I admire the guy. He is a true warrior. I wish they were all like him and Federer. :)

Never heard of this before. The guy is a very hard worker and is extremely well liked by the other players on tour. He also has had his share of tormenting injuries he has had to spend long periods of time rehabbing from.

I admire the guy. He is a true warrior. I wish they were all like him and Federer. :)

Mmm, maybe I made it seem like I hated the guy. I'll clear it up and say that I'm a big Djokovic fan and competitively, i'd like to see Nadal lose because my boy is already out. Rather see the underdog take it. Never cheered for Federer and Nadal because of my fanboy-ism of Novak.

Mmm, maybe I made it seem like I hated the guy. I'll clear it up and say that I'm a big Djokovic fan and competitively, i'd like to see Nadal lose because my boy is already out. Rather see the underdog take it. Never cheered for Federer and Nadal because of my fanboy-ism of Novak.

You must have missed out on the early parts of the Rafa - Roger rivalry, when Joker and Murray were just starting to make headway. You picked either or, and then an underdog. I liked Hewitt, my sis liked Safin.

I'm the exact same way. I'll always be for Djokovic so if it can't be him I'll pull for the underdog. Plus Wawrinka deserves one. He's stepped up his game.

You must have missed out on the early parts of the Rafa - Roger rivalry, when Joker and Murray were just starting to make headway. You picked either or, and then an underdog. I liked Hewitt, my sis liked Safin.

I did watch back then. At that time, I'd cheer for Rafa when it came down to the two, as it was infact, always the two at the end of every slam back in the day. However, I still was unhappy Djokovic, or even someone else for that matter couldn't be in the finals instead. I haven't a clue as to why I get this aura of disinterest from Rafa and Feds, but I always have. I enjoy their matches, especially back in the day as they were easily some of the most intense, but I guess them winning all the time, and this was when I was first watching tennis, might truly be the reason why I'm like this.

I always, even with that, cheered for Djokovic when he was the underdog. I remember him being stuck as the 4th seed for ages while Rafa and Federer ruled the court.