The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breaking Bad

G.K. Chesterton

Jesse has got to go. His character has been pissing me off since after he killed Gale. I mean you're in the drug business! Suck it up! And what's with all these assumptions he makes about Walt (assuming he poisened Brock in season 4 and again in season 5, assuming he killed Mike etc) without any actual evidence. Even though Walt did do those things, you can't just go around waving a gun in his face almost killing the guy without evidence. As much as Walt is evil I still hope he wins this battle or whatever you wanna call it, because he's the only character at this point making rational decisions (even though everything up until now could have been avoided had he just swallowed his pride and accepted the money back in season 1, but regardless).

Was kind of surprised to learn he going to team up with Todd. Thought the whole story behind him and Lydia still being around was to tie up loose ends which is kind of true because Lydia probably wants Jesse dead now for going to the cops, but I would have thought Walt would be on her list as well.

Yeah, but I think Jesse just wanted to be a small time guy like he was at the beginning then he obviously hooked up with Walt and things ultimately got out of hand. As Hank pointed out tonight, Walt is always encouraging Jesse to stay with him and get into even deeper sh1t when he doesn't want to -- offering him 50% of the business for example, forcing him to kill Gale due to business deals and internal business conflicts that Walt himself created, not Jesse. Once you're in, you're in. Nobody ever leaves alive and that is true right from Crazy 8 till now.

Yeah, but I think Jesse just wanted to be a small time guy like he was at the beginning then he obviously hooked up with Walt and things ultimately got out of hand. As Hank pointed out tonight, Walt is always encouraging Jesse to stay with him and get into even deeper sh1t when he doesn't want to -- offering him 50% of the business for example, forcing him to kill Gale due to business deals and internal business conflicts that Walt himself created, not Jesse. Once you're in, you're in. Nobody ever leaves alive and that is true right from Crazy 8 till now.

Jesse's a big boy. He should be able to make his own decisions regardless of how good of a manipulator Walt is.

The Wire vs. Breaking Bad is apples/oranges, The Wire was all about threaded scripting and reality!reality!reality! whereas BB excels through acting, cinematography and slow burning character development. They're the twin towers of television IMO, but they can't really be compared directly.

And F That to the Inception comparison, that movie only holds up on one viewing whereas this shows yields more and more when repeated. Colours? Inception was blue,blue,blue, BB has an entire palette to work through. Props? Inception has a... some kind of spinning thing. BB has one-eyed teddy bears, wheelchairs with bells, tortoises, poison cigarettes, flip phones, laser tag and poetry books.

The Wire vs. Breaking Bad is apples/oranges, The Wire was all about threaded scripting and reality!reality!reality! whereas BB excels through acting, cinematography and slow burning character development. They're the twin towers of television IMO, but they can't really be compared directly.

And F That to the Inception comparison, that movie only holds up on one viewing whereas this shows yields more and more when repeated. Colours? Inception was blue,blue,blue, BB has an entire palette to work through. Props? Inception has a... some kind of spinning thing. BB has one-eyed teddy bears, wheelchairs with bells, tortoises, poison cigarettes, flip phones, laser tag and poetry books.

I just sort of disagree. And I really want to emphasize 'sort of' because I really do enjoy the show.

I think the show revolves entirely around plot development, not character. And I'm not really sold on the camera work either. I find a lot of it to be super tacky, like in that recent EP when Jesse was throwing gasoline all over the camera? Small thing, but a dumb decision IMO. The episode opener from a few seasons back when the camera is super lame:

Like, when you watch that, do you think it's going to age well? Will people watch this in 5, 6, 10 years and think it's as "cool" as (presumably) some people did this time around? For me, it's over-the-top cheesy and another (in a long line of) examples of the show's fetishistic approach to product placement, using camera techniques you'll find in forgettable blockbuster movies.

Here's an article that kind of makes a couple of good points (I don't agree with a few of them though). www.avclub.com/articles/the-case-against-breaking-bad,101439/ -- but as one commenter points out, the show is for me (and him), "really good shlock." It gives off the image of having depth and intelligence, but when you really think about it, there isn't much to the show beyond a couple of good actors, an over-the-top and frequently cyclical plot, and a lot of cheesy stuff in between. But like I said, I enjoy it, and have seen every episode (most of them twice, maybe three times over), and am glued to the tv when it's on. But I think that's a testament to the shows ability to use hooks.

I started a BB marathon the last few days. up to season 4 ep 3 I think. it's a good series but I like the Sopranos better as all time best. I rank this along with Dexter with slight edge to Dexter.

I hope one day in the future I will not remember Dexter for this last season. :sick: Still about five episodes behind with no motivation to watch any of it.

This show is entertaining and gripping. Some of the plot lines are brilliant, some are too farfetched for me. This show is nowhere near as good as all the hype it gets. Best show on TV today? no.

Best show ever? Laughable.

Wire>>>>Breaking Bad. I will still watch the remaining episodes in anticipation, but I am dumbfounded at how the internet grovels over it.

Didn't you guys say there used to be a 'negative rep' button ? :rolleyes:

I predict Jesse turns on Hank because he wants to do it illegally and Hank needs it done legally to clear his name with Skyler who will be out for revenge.

Jesse probably teams up with Todd and Lydia chasing Walt out of town.

The final episode walter has a full head of hair which means he went into hiding for quite a while. It also means he stopped his chemo.

I still cant figure out who he is going to waste with the gun or whatever it is. :frantic:

I could see finding this show underwhelming if you look at it as primarily about plot development, but I don't. The slow character development, lengthy moody cinematic sequences, drawn out tension are what I watch for. Despite the cliffhanger endings I'm rarely anxious to find out what happens next.

I'm confident it will hold up long-term, at least for me personally. I've rewatched early seasons which are now 5 years on and they've just gotten better.

One thing I like to do as these new episodes come out is rewatch each one later in the week, where I find it easier to take in a lot of the small details like the symbolism and the colours.

Yeah its been a slow season, really not living up to the quality it used to run at, hopefully the show has a good ending.

I think I fell asleep during at least three of the first four episodes.

To stay on topic, I hope that Hank survives all of this. Despite many of his faults, he probably has the best moral compass of any of the main characters, and I'm a sucker for happy endings.

As for Anna Gunn's article, I think she has mistaken being a strong female lead with independence and determination for a person whose breaking bad trajectory unravelled a little slower than Walt's (but became more clear in last Sunday's episode). She isn't a good person; but Gunn seems to equate taking a stand and not being submissive as synonymous with virtue. Not something I agree with. It's really too bad about the threats she has received, but I don't think the issue was related to sexism. I've always found her fairly unlikeable, and I think the show-writers intended to make her that way so that they could get the audience to side with Walt before trying to sway opinion of Walt once more.

I think I fell asleep during at least three of the first four episodes.

To stay on topic, I hope that Hank survives all of this. Despite many of his faults, he probably has the best moral compass of any of the main characters, and I'm a sucker for happy endings.

As for Anna Gunn's article, I think she has mistaken being a strong female lead with independence and determination for a person whose breaking bad trajectory unravelled a little slower than Walt's (but became more clear in last Sunday's episode). She isn't a good person; but Gunn seems to equate taking a stand and not being submissive as synonymous with virtue. Not something I agree with. It's really too bad about the threats she has received, but I don't think the issue was related to sexism. I've always found her fairly unlikeable, and I think the show-writers intended to make her that way so that they could get the audience to side with Walt before trying to sway opinion of Walt once more.

I never mistook Skyler for a 'good person' . She wasn't a bad person but she wasn't very nice. She was very controlling. She picked a husband she could control and raised her son the same way. She wore the pants until one day her impish husband got cancer.

The rest they say......is history. She tried every trick in the book to get rid of him and control the situation. In the end she gave up. Even when she gave up, she couldnt live with it and tried to commit suicide.

Archived