The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

I looked for a World Cup Soccer thread but I couldn't find one so I'll ask here.

The only chance Canada has now is to win on Tuesday, have Honduras lose to Mexico, and somehow make up the five goal +/- differential between them and Honduras. So if Canada was to win 3-0 and Honduras was to lose 3-0, Canada would be in the next round.  Right?

I have no issues with Lenarduzzi as a person. I just feel the team needs some new management. The team can't just be spinning it's wheels. I know there's only so many marquee MLS players we can pick up. It just seems the team isn't trying to improve itself. 

It's like we're in a tailspin and can't recover. 

Love Hurtado's effort, but will end up being just another one in the line of super fast draft picks with no ability to finish:

• Mattocks
  • Hurtado
  • Manneh 

We're now back to playing the same game we were playing two or three seasons ago...kick the ball 40 yards down field past everyone on the counter attack to try to take advantage of our speedsters. Problem was and still is that nobody can FINISH. Also just awful, boring soccer with no flow and interplay between defenders, midfielders and forwards. Just constantly giving the ball away by trying to lob balls over defenders heads. It actually led to a couple of chances tonight but in general it's just awful soccer.  I just have a hard time watching how we play.

And before someone uses the excuse that we had a bunch of players away on Champions League play, we've played the same way with all those guys in the lineup. 

On the other hand, I enjoyed the interplay the Red Bulls showed with some neat little passes and flicks to get guys open.

Looking forward to major player and coaching changes this offseason. Bye Bye Pedro, you were fun to watch for a few games.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Yep...and Willie Johnson.

drinking a swig of beer before  his corner kick sets up a goal....

I remember that game.

There were a lot more characters in those days. A lot like hockey in that regards I guess.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

and you knew who was playing   not like every game is a new lineup with names you have never heard of.

Maybe the players were better in that league too, so the games were better?  We had Camillo, and just didn't want to pay him.  He was like Kevin Hecter.  Some guys just have the ability to score goals.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

and you knew who was playing   not like every game is a new lineup with names you have never heard of.

This is one of the major problems of MLS, teams lose players to qualifiers, etc., and those are usually all the starters. However, this is minor as the Caps since their existence has never fielded the same lineup twice in a row. Time to open the wallet management, and bring in a finisher. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

This is one of the major problems of MLS, teams lose players to qualifiers, etc., and those are usually all the starters. However, this is minor as the Caps since their existence has never fielded the same lineup twice in a row. Time to open the wallet management, and bring in a finisher. 

They need more than a finisher. 

Let's start with a number 10 that can actually impact a game more than once or twice a season.

Then surround him with some midfielder's that are hard to play against and know how to link up with the forwards and defender's. 

Add in a defender or two who can push up and be a threat to score.

Add in some hard asses and get rid of the whiners on this team to change the team mindset.

Finally, a new coach? Maybe. Robbo doesn't seem to be able to adjust very well to what other teams do during games. I don't know. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for another year. 

I'm looking forward to the changes that are hopefully coming.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

They need more than a finisher. 

Let's start with a number 10 that can actually impact a game more than once or twice a season.

Then surround him with some midfielder's that are hard to play against and know how to link up with the forwards and defender's. 

Add in a defender or two who can push up and be a threat to score.

Add in some hard asses and get rid of the whiners on this team to change the team mindset.

Finally, a new coach? Maybe. Robbo doesn't seem to be able to adjust very well to what other teams do during games. I don't know. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for another year. 

I'm looking forward to the changes that are hopefully coming.

I'd say the South American experiment has failed. This team hasn't got a "leader", at all. I agree with all of your points above.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As a fan of Notts Forest (Don't ask why) I thought Earnshaw was great for Vancouver. 

His goal per minutes of play was like very high.  His athleticism was still there and he's very experienced... not sure why the Whitecaps never played him more when he was here and why they didn't re-sign him (although he did retire).

Perhaps a reason why the Whitecaps can't land some elite DP is maybe because they are unwilling to come to Vancouver?  Thierry Henry never played in BC Place.  Beckham rather get suspended than to make the trip North.  Kaka didn't play against the Whitecaps in Vancouver either.  

The artificial turf might me turning star players away from the Caps.... so until Vancouver is able to get an outdoor stadium or some real retractable roof stadium.... maybe this is the best they're able to get.

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

His goal per minutes of play was like very high.  His athleticism was still there and he's very experienced... not sure why the Whitecaps never played him more when he was here and why they didn't re-sign him (although he did retire).

Perhaps a reason why the Whitecaps can't land some elite DP is maybe because they are unwilling to come to Vancouver?  Thierry Henry never played in BC Place.  Beckham rather get suspended than to make the trip North.  Kaka didn't play against the Whitecaps in Vancouver either.  

The artificial turf might me turning star players away from the Caps.... so until Vancouver is able to get an outdoor stadium or some real retractable roof stadium.... maybe this is the best they're able to get.

I still think the Waterfront Stadium was a great idea. Real grass, expandable. It would have been privately funded so less

tax dollars would have been spent. Oh well. 

http://www.pnwarchitecture.com/Building/4558/Vancouver-Whitecaps-Waterfront-Stadium.php

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I still think the Waterfront Stadium was a great idea. Real grass, expandable. It would have been privately funded so less

tax dollars would have been spent. Oh well. 

http://www.pnwarchitecture.com/Building/4558/Vancouver-Whitecaps-Waterfront-Stadium.php

With all the dough spent on BC Place, this unfortunately will never happen.

50 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Hadn't thought about this before but there may be something to it. Thing is that I'm not convinced a DP striker will turn this outfit around. We have a lot of issues, not the least of which is this whole Central and South American experiment they've had going since Robbo became the manager.

Whitecaps are 10th in the league in spending, so we can't say they are cheap. But this is so much an indictment of management and signing the wrong players and wrong types of players. For instance, our DP's this season were Rivero, Morales and Laba. Pedro has 6 goals. Rivero had 2 goals. And that goal scoring machine Laba has 0 goals and 0 assists. He has to be the only DP in the league with 0 points. If one wants an easy answer to how we got here, it's been the poor spending on these DP's, surrounded by some questionable depth.

Compare us to FC Dallas, who is 20th in the league in salary compensation, yet first overall in the league, have scored the most goals in the league, and don't have any real stars. They also have 7 homegrown players on their roster and no player making a 7 figure salary.  And therein also lies another part of the issue...our academy has produced squat in terms of regular players to date. 

This is just getting bloody depressing now and I'm really not sure if there's a light at the end of the tunnel with this management group leading this team.

• Upvote 2