The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

4 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

SMD, Portland, SMD.

Where were these Whitecaps all year? Cascadia Cup is theirs if they don't give up 2.

It's easy to play free when there's no pressure and you know big changes are coming.

This performance means nothing and hopefully does not change the committee's minds on certain players.

47 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

It's easy to play free when there's no pressure and you know big changes are coming.

This performance means nothing and hopefully does not change the committee's minds on certain players.

I'm pretty sure it won't. Morales, for one, should be on his way out the door even though he scored today.

• Upvote 1

Get ready for more of the same....:picard:

The Vancouver Whitecaps have extended the contract of head coach Carl Robinson as well as assistant coaches Martyn Pert and Gordon Forrest, the team announced on Wednesday.

“The 2017 season started for us as soon as the final whistle went on Sunday,” said Whitecaps FC president Bob Lenarduzzi. “Today’s announcement is a statement that everyone is committed to the vision of our club.”

In three seasons as head coach of the Whitecaps, Robinson has earned two playoff berths and one Canadian Championship.

“Carl’s body of work over the course of his five years at the club has shown that he is one of the top up-and-coming head coaches in North America,” said Lenarduzzi. “While this past season was certainly a learning experience for everyone involved within the club, we have complete faith in Carl’s continued vision in acquiring the necessary players to build a team that will compete with the best in MLS.”

Robinson has been signed through 2020, while his assistants have been given multi-year deals.

8 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Get ready for more of the same....:picard:

The Vancouver Whitecaps have extended the contract of head coach Carl Robinson as well as assistant coaches Martyn Pert and Gordon Forrest, the team announced on Wednesday.

“The 2017 season started for us as soon as the final whistle went on Sunday,” said Whitecaps FC president Bob Lenarduzzi. “Today’s announcement is a statement that everyone is committed to the vision of our club.”

In three seasons as head coach of the Whitecaps, Robinson has earned two playoff berths and one Canadian Championship.

“Carl’s body of work over the course of his five years at the club has shown that he is one of the top up-and-coming head coaches in North America,” said Lenarduzzi. “While this past season was certainly a learning experience for everyone involved within the club, we have complete faith in Carl’s continued vision in acquiring the necessary players to build a team that will compete with the best in MLS.”

Robinson has been signed through 2020, while his assistants have been given multi-year deals.

i think it is a good signing

the whitecaps do not have enough leaders

robinson is one of the leaders

i see ousted and harvey as the only other consistent leaders

laba fell off a bit this year

and the rest really fell off (morales flailed, waston became a card machine, tiebert did not play much)

the team really needs a top flight central midfielder and a dp striker

otherwise i think the core just needs to develop better and play more together

i'd like to see a couple of tough europeans brought in (perhaps a couple of strong willed german players)

this team just lacks that strong motor required for consistency

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

and the rest really fell off (morales flailed, waston became a card machine, tiebert did not play much)

i'd like to see a couple of tough europeans brought in (perhaps a couple of strong willed german players)

I honestly believe that the 'Caps are just a true finisher away from being a contender.

Laba, Watson and Ousted all had down seasons, but I believe all of them have what it takes to return to form. What the team lacks is a guy like Giovinco or Altidore. I look back at all the missed opportunities over the course of the season and wonder where this team would be if they had a guy who could finish.

I'm okay with bringing Robbo back. It's Lenarduzzi who is the real problem. We need someone who is willing to spend on a DP and if ownership balks, we need someone willing to stand up to them and demand what the team has been sorely lacking since Camillo left.

On 26/10/2016 at 7:16 PM, coastal.view said:

I agree. The team needs a few signings. Someone like Schweinsteiger pops into my mind but it might be tough to lure him away from United and he might be looking for a big wage. I'd go after Camilo again if we can since Martin Rennie and Lenarduzzi made a mess of the situation and cheaped out on him signing to an extension. 

16 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I agree. The team needs a few signings. Someone like Schweinsteiger pops into my mind but it might be tough to lure him away from United and he might be looking for a big wage. I'd go after Camilo again if we can since Martin Rennie and Lenarduzzi made a mess of the situation and cheaped out on him signing to an extension. 

the history on Camillo is a bit different

he breached his contract and signed with another team

because he wanted a raise before his existing contract was up

fifa got involved and required the caps be given compensation.. which it seems the were . about 2 million if the rumours are true

but i do agree he is worth considering

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:01 PM, coastal.view said:

the history on Camillo is a bit different

he breached his contract and signed with another team

because he wanted a raise before his existing contract was up

fifa got involved and required the caps be given compensation.. which it seems the were . about 2 million if the rumours are true

but i do agree he is worth considering

As much as I miss Camillo, I believe there's too much bad blood between the two parties for it to work. The last thing you need is your star striker pouting about every real. or imagined slight. If you look at Montreal, they seem to be better since benching Drogba.

I think the real challenge would be finding a finisher who would be happy to play in Vancouver, instead of pining for the past glory of the EPL, or whatever better league that he is no longer a star in. Toronto appears to have found on in Giovinco, so we know it's possible.

Problem is the word "possible" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when one is talking about Bob Lenarduzzi.

50 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As much as I miss Camillo, I believe there's too much bad blood between the two parties for it to work. The last thing you need is your star striker pouting about every real. or imagined slight. If you look at Montreal, they seem to be better since benching Drogba.

I think the real challenge would be finding a finisher who would be happy to play in Vancouver, instead of pining for the past glory of the EPL, or whatever better league that he is no longer a star in. Toronto appears to have found on in Giovinco, so we know it's possible.

Problem is the word "possible" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when one is talking about Bob Lenarduzzi.

the caps i think understand that they are not toronto or some other well heeled team

nor are they a team that has a natural grass surface suitable to any high end player

i cannot see the caps paying more than 2 million for a striker

and who are we going to find who is worth that or more who is willing to play on artificial turf

even designated players on other mls teams sit out games against the caps in Vancouver

we know Camillo flourished here and never complained about the turf

i think everyone needs to take a step back, the player, management/coach, and do what is best for the team

Camillo did not complain about every little thing

he did not devise the tactic of his departure, his agent did

i think the fans will accept him back, and i believe the players will too

it's really whether management is prepared to eat crow and recognize that they handled unwisely

a very messy and muddy negotiation when they had far less leverage than they realized

it was surprising news to everyone that Camillo could in fact breach his valid contract and be permitted by fifa to play for another team

and that the caps remedy was only compensation

now that we know this, and that Camillo's agent was in fact smarter about this, let's accept it and move forward

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I heard on 1040 the other day after Robbo signed his new contract he was off to South America looking for talent..basically more bargain basement SA players.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Very disappointing to see TFC or the Impact being in the MLS finals.  Both teams that really opened their coin purse for talent and are now reaping the dividends of their investment.

With the Lions and Canucks in a lull.... if the Whitecaps signed some major international(s), goes deep in CONCACAF Champions League and then use that momentum and win the MLS Championship.... you can expect a major bandwagon effect in this city, a la Canucks 10/11.  More success means more ticket sales, more merchandising... thus more money to be reinvesting into the team.... rinse/repeat.  

Maybe they can somehow parley that into a brand new waterfront stadium.  

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Very disappointing to see TFC or the Impact being in the MLS finals.  Both teams that really opened their coin purse for talent and are now reaping the dividends of their investment.

With the Lions and Canucks in a lull.... if the Whitecaps signed some major international(s), goes deep in CONCACAF Champions League and then use that momentum and win the MLS Championship.... you can expect a major bandwagon effect in this city, a la Canucks 10/11.  More success means more ticket sales, more merchandising... thus more money to be reinvesting into the team.... rinse/repeat.  

Maybe they can somehow parley that into a brand new waterfront stadium.  

Not with Lenarduzzi running the show..bargain bin players and cheapness....he has even said he wont spend big on players....frankly...he needs to go.

• Upvote 1