The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

I've been a Whitecaps fan since the Soccer Bowl '79 season. I'm currently a 'Caps season ticket holder and I'm also a Vancouver Southsider. There is nothing like going to games and being in such a great sporting atmosphere. Unfortunately, it stops right there.

I will go on record by saying that everything starts at the very top. Bob Lenarduzzi gets a lot of the blame because he's team president and he has done a lot of spin-doctoring for the team's ownership. Club CEO Rachel Lewis gets her share of blame because she counts the nickels and dimes for ownership. ***Notice the keyword: Ownership. ***

The question begs. Where is the ownership of this club? Jeff Mallet? Is he more focused on his S.F. Giants? Steve Luczo? Again, another absentee American owner. Steve Nash? Why do I get the feeling that he's only a celebrity owner and nothing more?

The guy I want to focus on is majority owner, Greg Kerfoot. Okay, he has invested into the Residency Program. Great. He's invested in practice facilities. Great. What about investing in a designated striker who can score when opportunity arises? What about investing in a scouting staff capable of finding a legitimate striker to replace Camilo's 22 goals? There is always talk about great strikers shying away from non-natural grass.

This brings me to the Waterfront Stadium issue. Did Kerfoot not do his homework regarding Port Metro Vancouver? Did he get his money back? The Waterfront Stadium project now looks like a bold faced lie.

The Whitecaps are only in their 4th season in MLS. However, their chief Cascadian rivals, the Sounders, have been competitive since their first MLS season. They lead the league in average attendance. The Whitecaps?? Forget about the upper bowl. They haven't even created a strong supply and demand to remove the tarps that cover a few sections in the lower bowl. And why is that? Mediocre entertainment from a team that simply lacks finish.

So, where is Kerfoot? Okay, he's extremely private and reclusive. Unfortunately, his money, along with his partners' money, are just as reclusive.

Edited by Tiger-Hearted
  • Upvote 1

I've been a Whitecaps fan since the Soccer Bowl '79 season. I'm currently a 'Caps season ticket holder and I'm also a Vancouver Southsider. There is nothing like going to games and being in such a great sporting atmosphere. Unfortunately, it stops right there.

I will go on record by saying that everything starts at the very top. Bob Lenarduzzi gets a lot of the blame because he's team president and he has done a lot of spin-doctoring for the team's ownership. Club CEO Rachel Lewis gets her share of blame because she counts the nickels and dimes for ownership. ***Notice the keyword: Ownership. ***

The question begs. Where is the ownership of this club? Jeff Mallet? Is he more focused on his S.F. Giants? Steve Luczo? Again, another absentee American owner. Steve Nash? Why do I get the feeling that he's only a celebrity owner and nothing more?

The guy I want to focus on is majority owner, Greg Kerfoot. Okay, he has invested into the Residency Program. Great. He's invested in practice facilities. Great. What about investing in a designated striker who can score when opportunity arises? What about investing in a scouting staff capable of finding a legitimate striker to replace Camilo's 22 goals? There is always talk about great strikers shying away from non-natural grass.

This brings me to the Waterfront Stadium issue. Did Kerfoot not do his homework regarding Port Metro Vancouver? Did he get his money back? The Waterfront Stadium project now looks like a bold faced lie.

The Whitecaps are only in their 4th season in MLS. However, their chief Cascadian rivals, the Sounders, have been competitive since their first MLS season. They lead the league in average attendance. The Whitecaps?? Forget about the upper bowl. They haven't even created a strong supply and demand to remove the tarps that cover a few sections in the lower bowl. And why is that? Mediocre entertainment from a team that simply lacks finish.

So, where is Kerfoot? Okay, he's extremely private and reclusive. Unfortunately, his money, along with his partners' money, are just as reclusive.

Well said, I agree fully with your assessment ,,ownership is invisible and quite content to flounder in mediocrity . not only didnt they replace Camillos 22 goals...they didnt replace Kenny Miller either...this team is seemingly doing all they can to turn people off.

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 1

They won't be making much more money without getting some great DP talent in to show that they mean business to the casual Vancouver fans. 0-0 does nothing for me. I'm getting tired of Robinson's gushing over great defensive play, if you don't have the horses up front, go find them, or at least hire a scouting department to do so.

Great post, and very good insight.

from today's report:

In response to a question about potentially acquiring a player via trade before Major League Soccer’s September 15 roster freeze, Robinson said: “The amount of conversations you have about trades is phenomenal. You probably talk about 10 to 12 different players a week. And maybe once gets done every month. It’s a chess game with managers and GMs, it really is. Will we look to do it within the league? Yes. Maybe. There are certain players that I do like. But if I have to give up one of my core pieces and I don’t think it’s worthwhile, then I won’t do it. It’s not just about the short term, it’s about the medium and long term as well.”

Ugh. This feels like "it's a process" all over again.

from today's report:

Ugh. This feels like "it's a process" all over again.

"But if I have to give up one of my core pieces and I don’t think it’s worthwhile, then I won’t do it"

What the f is a core piece for them? Just who exactly on their team outside a small group of players deserves to be an untradeable core member? The 2 DPs, Koffie, Tiebert... who else? Who else brings so much to the field that they can't be parted with? Sure it's not fun giving up a young striker who has room to improve, but when you have 4 of those, and absolutely no veterans up front, with little consistency, and little scoring altogether, then you're just straight BS'ing. Just what do you think is going to keep happening when you keep playing these types of forwards in a single striker system? The answer is not goal scoring.

That is some fairly lazy spin from them. Expected better excuses to be honest.

"But if I have to give up one of my core pieces and I don’t think it’s worthwhile, then I won’t do it"

What the f is a core piece for them? Just who exactly on their team outside a small group of players deserves to be an untradeable core member? The 2 DPs, Koffie, Tiebert... who else? Who else brings so much to the field that they can't be parted with? Sure it's not fun giving up a young striker who has room to improve, but when you have 4 of those, and absolutely no veterans up front, with little consistency, and little scoring altogether, then you're just straight BS'ing. Just what do you think is going to keep happening when you keep playing these types of forwards in a single striker system? The answer is not goal scoring.

That is some fairly lazy spin from them. Expected better excuses to be honest.

In my opinion, I interpreted that quote a little differently. To me, the and I don't think it's worthwhile is meant in a way that if it's down to trading a young, early 20's year old for a 30+ year old who will be here for a couple seasons, he won't do it.

However, if the quote had just been, "If I have to give up one of my core pieces, then I won't do it," that'd be trouble

I've been calling for Lenarduzzi to step down or get fired for about 3 years now.

I've also been begging for Latin American players for 4 years. Imagine where we'd be without the Latin Americans this year? The one person responsible for bringing them in is Robinson.

It's no secret that Lenarduzzi doesn't like that style of play. FIRE BOB.

I've been calling for Lenarduzzi to step down or get fired for about 3 years now.

I've also been begging for Latin American players for 4 years. Imagine where we'd be without the Latin Americans this year? The one person responsible for bringing them in is Robinson.

It's no secret that Lenarduzzi doesn't like that style of play. FIRE BOB.

I'm no Bob apologist, but if he didn't like that style of play, why would he appoint Robo as the manager? Edited by IdioticRight

Well at least we got a decent winger... Hurtado, Fernandez, and Manneh do nothing and Teibert never gets to play out wide.

True. I do think he adds something to our lineup. Just as one addition though, it's not near enough. I mean he's still going to be playing alongside Fernandez, who will likely continue to see consistent starts. Our attacking core remains so bleh.

And his play will help tick the quotient of this stuff up on the team:

Which will suck to see.

Can we trade Bob to Chivas too?

It's very easy to blame Bob Lenarduzzi because he's club president. His constant spin-doctoring for the 'Caps mediocrity covers up the real problem....the guys signing Bobby's paycheque. Their unwillingness to give the club financial freedom to get a couple of higher quality striker DP's plus their own absenteeism is hurting the 'Caps's credibility.