The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

3 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Europa League:

Braga - Shakhtar

Villarreal - Sparta Praha

Athletic Bilbao - Sevilla

Dortmund - Liverpool

It just had to be :rolleyes:

Liverpool and Dortmund can't catch a break. Dortmund facing the strongest opposition remaining two rounds in a row. 

Do do you live in Dortmund? What's the easiest way to get tickets for a match if so? 

1 hour ago, Bizarre said:

Liverpool and Dortmund can't catch a break. Dortmund facing the strongest opposition remaining two rounds in a row.

Do do you live in Dortmund? What's the easiest way to get tickets for a match if so? 

Dortmund aren't playing Sevilla.

I would say Liverpool are 4th favourites to win the Europa League behind Dortmund, Sevilla, and Villareal.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Dortmund aren't playing Sevilla.

I would say Liverpool are 4th favourites to win the Europa League behind Dortmund, Sevilla, and Villareal.

The betting odds disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Dortmund 7/4

Sevilla 6/1

lfc/villareal 7/1 

not sure what the odds were before the draw however I suspect Liverpool took a hit after drawing Dortmund. 

3 hours ago, Bizarre said:

Maybe Sevilla would have been worse because they play nasty football with fangs and claws so to speak. Doesn't suit us.

I live about an hour east of Dortmund. The club's ticket distribution system favours club members. They can purchase tickets around 2-3 days earlier than everybody else. If there are tickets left, you can look for them in the club's ticket shop online: https://www.eventimsports.de/ols/bvb/en   (no tickets on sale right now)

5 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Maybe Sevilla would have been worse because they play nasty football with fangs and claws so to speak. Doesn't suit us.

I live about an hour east of Dortmund. The club's ticket distribution system favours club members. They can purchase tickets around 2-3 days earlier than everybody else. If there are tickets left, you can look for them in the club's ticket shop online: https://www.eventimsports.de/ols/bvb/en   (no tickets on sale right now)

Thanks! Sounds good, I'm going to rent a car or train to Dortmund for the match. I think I may know a couple of season ticket members from work hopefully they're not going. 

Generally I have nothing but disdain for Italian football, but I have to give props to Gigi Buffon for breaking a 22 year old record for shutout minutes, by going 930 consecutive minutes without conceding. (and he didn't face the Canucks once)

One of the greatest Keepers of all time, IMHO.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Generally I have nothing but disdain for Italian football, but I have to give props to Gigi Buffon for breaking a 22 year old record for shutout minutes, by going 930 consecutive minutes without conceding. (and he didn't face the Canucks once)

One of the greatest Keepers of all time, IMHO.

Nobody really talks Italian football here on here so I really appreciate someone bringing it up! Not a Juve fan, but an Italian supporter, but personally his performance in the 2006 World Cup. Is the most impressive of all time. 2 goals allowed in the tournament (1 OG, 1 PK) facing powerhouses in Germany, France, and very good offensive teams in the Czechs and the Ukraine. Fantastic player. I am ashamed I was never able to see him live. It will be interesting to see if the "next ones" in Italian goalkeepers(perin, bardi, scuffet, donarumma) will become anything near to Buffon or zoff. 

• Upvote 1

you'd think in a season where chelsea's going to finish 5-10th that all these other teams would manage to have less disappointing seasons

but nope, of the normal "top 6", only tottenham has exceeded or even met expectations.

everyone else has failed. gotta wonder how chelsea missing the champions league will limit their spending.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

you'd think in a season where chelsea's going to finish 5-10th that all these other teams would manage to have less disappointing seasons

but nope, of the normal "top 6", only tottenham has exceeded or even met expectations.

everyone else has failed. gotta wonder how chelsea missing the champions league will limit their spending.

Lol up until like 3 weeks ago, Arsenal was very much in the race and City too.

Also, how does Cheslea being out of it have anything to do with the performance of other teams?

22 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Lol up until like 3 weeks ago, Arsenal was very much in the race and City too.

Also, how does Cheslea being out of it have anything to do with the performance of other teams?

when you looked at the league at the start of the season, everyone thought it'd be super close b/w chelsea/city/arsenal at the top three, followed by united/tottenham/liverpool.

How does chelsea being out of it NOT have anything to do with the disappointment of other clubs? Former champions were out of it after the first ten games. The major competitors should have had a dogfight, both flopped as well.

arsenal is out of every competition, in fourth place. they didn't buy players, they lose league. it was predictable and a failure.

city made major purchases in sterling, de bruyne, and otamendi and really should have been the ones to win the league after we flopped.

chelsea's season is still a moyes level joke, but these teams around should have done better.

• Upvote 1