The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

2 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

when you looked at the league at the start of the season, everyone thought it'd be super close b/w chelsea/city/arsenal at the top three, followed by united/tottenham/liverpool.

How does chelsea being out of it NOT have anything to do with the disappointment of other clubs? Former champions were out of it after the first ten games. The major competitors should have had a dogfight, both flopped as well.

arsenal is out of every competition, in fourth place. they didn't buy players, they lose league. it was predictable and a failure.

city made major purchases in sterling, de bruyne, and otamendi and really should have been the ones to win the league after we flopped.

chelsea's season is still a moyes level joke, but these teams around should have done better.

Yes, nobody expected Chelsea to have the season they've had, however, it still doesn't have anything to do with how other teams did poorly.  Are the Southampton's and Everton's of the league just supposed to start sucking too?

I agree that a major opportunity opened up with Chelsea flopping during the first 4 months and even United forgetting how to play football in November/December but up until February, both City and Arsenal were doing fine or at least in proximity with Leicester.  City have been derailed by injuries the whole year and Arsenal haven't been healthy at any point this year + decided to have the annual "fall" - so yes, it can be said more so for Arsenal but relative to Tottenham/Leicester, they've had way more injuries.

Not sure how Chelsea's terrible form is responsible for Leicester losing only 3 games in 31, West Ham competing for top 4/getting wins against all the traditional top 6 sides, and some other feats that nobody could have predicted.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yes, nobody expected Chelsea to have the season they've had, however, it still doesn't have anything to do with how other teams did poorly.  Are the Southampton's and Everton's of the league just supposed to start sucking too?

Not sure how Chelsea's terrible form is responsible for Leicester losing only 3 games in 31, West Ham competing for top 4/getting wins against all the traditional top 6 sides, and some other feats that nobody could have predicted.

lmao my initial post didn't involve any of these teams

it was regarding the top clubs not seizing the opportunity of the underperforming champions

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

lmao my initial post didn't involve any of these teams

it was regarding the top clubs not seizing the opportunity of the underperforming champions

Because everybody was supposed to have seen Leicester suddenly become world-class?

A theoretical hole opened up in the race but it got filled by a team that decided they weren't going to drop any points this year.

25 minutes ago, canucks3322 said:

I was wondering with the terror attacks in France before and now in Belgium would there be a chance it would be cancelled or something like that?

euros this summer? Unless a major threat is made I seriously doubt they would cancelled that big of an event.  Nothing is impossible, but highly unlikely at this point in time.

19 hours ago, milk and honey said:

euros this summer? Unless a major threat is made I seriously doubt they would cancelled that big of an event.  Nothing is impossible, but highly unlikely at this point in time.

Yeah I meant the Euros considering Paris was attacked and now Belgium which I think is near France; would probably at least cause the UEFA to have an alternate place? Hopefully nothing happens and security is tight.

3 hours ago, canucks3322 said:

Yeah I meant the Euros considering Paris was attacked and now Belgium which I think is near France; would probably at least cause the UEFA to have an alternate place? Hopefully nothing happens and security is tight.

Belgium is near France, but the question is, where would be safe? Pretty much anywhere is Europe or Asia is a crapshoot these days.

Better to beef up security and carry on, IMHO...

The great Johan Cruyff died today aged 68 of lung cancer. Probably one of the most influential footballers and managers of the past century. Ajax and Barca wouldn't be the clubs they are now without him. He single-handedly build up both those teams youth academies. They remain two of the most renowned institutions of that kind until today.

Additionally his style Voetbal totaal was introduced to both of the aforementioned clubs. This system inspired lots of managers of later generations. For example, it is the foundation of Pep Guardiola's juego de posición (aka tiki taka).

May he rest in peace.

25 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

The great Johan Cruyff died today aged 68 of lung cancer. Probably one of the most influential footballers and managers of the past century. Ajax and Barca wouldn't be the clubs they are now without him. He single-handedly build up both those teams youth academies. They remain two of the most renowned institutions of that kind until today.

Additionally his style Voetbal totaal was introduced to both of the aforementioned clubs. This system inspired lots of managers of later generations. For example, it is the foundation of Pep Guardiola's juego de posición (aka tiki taka).

May he rest in peace.

What? No! :(

The '74 World Cup was what got me into football and I've been a supporter of the Dutch internationally ever since, mostly because of Johann Cruyff.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What? No! :(

The '74 World Cup was what got me into football and I've been a supporter of the Dutch internationally ever since, mostly because of Johann Cruyff.

He was brought over to play for the White Caps, when all of those teams thought they had money. That team did not jell all season, and they had some great "names" on the roster.