The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

By the way: Brazil's out of the Copa already. When I was a kid you could let them have 2 teams at the World Cup and both of them would make it at least to the quarter finals. Nowadays the first team gets embarassed by us and their second team by Peru and Ecuador.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ooops didn't mean to include him  Asian and Africa. You get the point though. It's late.-_-

Belgium vs Italy tomorrow biggest match of Euro so far. 2 legit teams going at it.

Naingollan will destroy the divers with his sith lightning.  

_89906489_gettyimages-538379694.jpg

Just look at that.  He is possessed by the dark side.  

• Upvote 1

I can't believe I have to bring this up at yet another tournament in this thread but why do people still use the diving narrative when talking Italy?

This isn't the late 90s/early 00s where it was evident that some players embellished way more than others.  I can't promise that Italians have stopped diving, nor could I any team or players, but seriously, watch them play and see that the team has changed the way they approach the game.  At least that's a changed I've noticed.

I don't care if you want to say that some Italian players dive, but if you are, you have to recognize that's the case with every other team.

Again, opinions and feelings are fine but passing them off as fact is ridiculous.

Sorry if I'm sounding overly sensitive but its frustrating to see people constantly disrespect a team that's accomplished so much in international football, simply because of a few players they've employed over the years.

33 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

I think we can all agree most teams will have divers on them.

Yeah, that's a fair assumption or claim to make.

Some people here think its exclusive to Italy and quite frankly, its annoying to see them constantly painted as such.

Edited by Alain Vigneault

5 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I can't believe I have to bring this up at yet another tournament in this thread but why do people still use the diving narrative when talking Italy?

This isn't the late 90s/early 00s where it was evident that some players embellished way more than others.  I can't promise that Italians have stopped diving, nor could I any team or players, but seriously, watch them play and see that the team has changed the way they approach the game.  At least that's a changed I've noticed.

I don't care if you want to say that some Italian players dive, but if you are, you have to recognize that's the case with every other team.

Again, opinions and feelings are fine but passing them off as fact is ridiculous.

Sorry if I'm sounding overly sensitive but its frustrating to see people constantly disrespect a team that's accomplished so much in international football, simply because of a few players they've employed over the years.

Time for someone to post that video of the Italian injury faking practice...B)

You're probably correct. I haven't followed it closely enough lately and I certainly see a lot of embellishing by other national sides, but for me, it's far too late. After years of watching the Azzurri acting team rolling around like they were just clubbed by Tonya Harding, I always cheer for their abject failure in any international competition. Same for Brazil and Portugal.

Go Belgium!

14 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

I've said for years, Eden Hazard is the most over-rated footballer since Luis Figo. He has zero bottle.

Same could be said for Romelu Lukaku. Haven't seen a good match from him not wearing an Everton shirt.

This was one game where I wanted a tie, as I had Belgium group winner and Italy second for my pool.

But...ITALY! My heart is still with you....even though I really doubted this team before the tournament.

Belgium....bit of a disappointment with all the hype they had. Hope they'll tidy up their play next game.

7 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I disrespect all teams.  And when it comes to Japan and Korea, it's personal.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

Same could be said for Romelu Lukaku. Haven't seen a good match from him not wearing an Everton shirt.

You should have seen him play for West Brom, he was even better then :(