Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Neymar: Barcelona forward given permission to discuss £198m PSG move

By Saj Chowdhury

BBC Sport

Sharethis page
Neymar
Neymar arrived for training at Barcelona on Wednesday, and told his team-mates he wanted to leave

Barcelona forward Neymar has been given permission to discuss a world record 222m euro (£198m) transfer with Paris St-Germain.

The Brazil international told his team-mates at training on Wednesday that he wanted to leave the Spanish club.

He was then given permission by Barca manager Ernesto Valverde not to train and to "sort out his future".

The 25-year-old contract has a release clause set at 222m euros, which PSG are understood to be ready to pay.

The latest development comes two days after it emerged Barca were ready to push for a Financial Fair Play investigation if PSG signed Neymar

That came after La Liga president Javier Tebas threatened, in an interview with Mundo Deportivo, a legal response against the former Ligue 1 champions if European football's governing body failed to take action. 

He also said PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi had been made aware of the Spanish league's intentions.

Neymar moved to Barcelona from Brazilian club Santos in 2013 for £48.6m, and signed a new five-year deal with the 24-time Spanish champions in 2016.

His representative Wagner Ribeiro, who on Wednesday tweeted he was in Paris, said last year that his client had been offered a tax-free £650,000 a week to sign for the French club.

He also said the forward "was close to a move to Manchester United".

Rumours of Neymar's potential departure resurfaced recently, but club president Josep Maria Bartomeu told the BBC the player would be staying.

Neymar played for the Catalan side in the recent International Champions Cup in the United States, before travelling to China to fulfil commercial commitments.

He travelled back to Spain on Tuesday and returned to the club's training ground on Wednesday.

The Brazilian has scored 105 goals for Barcelona, helping them to two league titles, three Copas del Rey and a Champions League crown.

wasn't surprised with the transfer. he wants an opportunity to become one of the best footballers and decided it wasn't going to be in Barca playing with the one of best players in Messi. then there's also the factor that Enrique isn't coaching the team anymore which probably played another role into why he didn't want to be with the club no longer. imagine if the United move came to fruition though... then we would arguably have one of the best attacks in all of the football in Neymar, Lukaku and Mkhitaryan. I'm happy with what the Red Devils have done though. Getting Matic for a steal was robbery. read from The Score that this could free Pogba from his defensive duties and enable him to be more aggressive on the attack while Matic takes care of the defensive responsibilities with his stellar tackling, marking and on target passing. Exciting times ahead if you're a United fan!

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

wasn't surprised with the transfer. he wants an opportunity to become one of the best footballers and decided it wasn't going to be in Barca playing with the one of best players in Messi. then there's also the factor that Enrique isn't coaching the team anymore which probably played another role into why he didn't want to be with the club no longer. imagine if the United move came to fruition though... then we would arguably have one of the best attacks in all of the football in Neymar, Lukaku and Mkhitaryan. I'm happy with what the Red Devils have done though. Getting Matic for a steal was robbery. read from The Score that this could free Pogba from his defensive duties and enable him to be more aggressive with the ball while Matic takes care of the defensive responsibilities with his stellar tackling, marking and on target passing. Exciting times ahead if you're a United fan!

Agree regarding Utd. A C/B and a defensive midfielder to let Herera and Pogba play was for me the most important thing until the Zlatan injury.

Very pleased so far. Would love for us to add a winger, but will be fine if this is it.

Regarding Neymar, the move screams of vanity... He wants to be considered as the best in the world and he was always going to be no.2 at Barca. The price is unreal, and it will be interesting to see if that will get PSG to the top of the European football tree... But they do look extremely strong now. The french version of Los Galacticos...

• Upvote 1

Who does Barca buy now? Mbappe? Coutinho? Veratti?

Also Nice wins their tie against Ajax in UCL Qualies. Sets up a potential tie against Liverpool. Man, I am getting visions of Balo scoring a brace at Anfield doing something outrageous

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

anyone seen much of Dybala play? I've read a lot of mixed things about whether he could be a Neymar replacement for Barca

Yes I am a Juventus fan for a long time. Dybala is not a direct replacement for Neymar. He is more similar to Messi than he is to Neymar. He has a devastating left foot and likes to cut in from the right side to the middle. He also likes to play deep and set up his teammates but I believe he is most effective playing as a second striker closer to goal. 

I don't think he would work well playing with Messi unless they played Messi as an attacking midfielder and used Dybala and Suarez up front. Or play Dybala as an attacking midfielder. If they got Dybala they would definitely have to scrap the 4-3-3 as Dybala is not suited to play a wide role as a winger like Neymar. 

Official: Neymar pays his own release clause to leave Barcelona

Conor Laird

By Conor Laird on Thursday, August 3, 2017

La Liga giants Barcelona have this evening confirmed that Brazilian superstar Neymar has paid his own 222 million Euro release clause ahead of signing for Paris Saint-Germain.

Saga

The story surrounding Neymar’s proposed move to the Parc des Princes has been hogging the media spotlight worldwide for several weeks now, with conflicting reports as to whether the transfer would eventually go through having emerged on an almost hourly basis.

Confirmation

However, yesterday marked a turning point in the saga, as Barcelona confirmed that Neymar had opted to join the Ligue 1 giants, with the club’s hands now tied.

A number of the Catalan outfit’s players have since taken to social media to wish their former teammate the best, while an official announcement was expected on the move today.

Although La Liga confirmed that they had rejected the world-record payment from PSG earlier today, this was viewed by most experts as just a minor blip in proceedings.

On the move

And this evening, Barcelona have confirmed via the club’s official website that Neymar has in fact paid his own release clause, meaning he is now officially no longer a Blaugrana player.

‘This afternoon, legal representatives of Neymar Jr. have been appointed to the club’s offices and have made, on behalf of the player, the payment of 222 million euros, as compensation for the unilateral termination and without cause of the contract joining both parties.’

‘Likewise, the club will transfer to UEFA the details of this operation so that they deprive the disciplinary responsibilities that may derive from this case.’

It had been claimed earlier today that the only way La Liga would accept the 222 million Euro payment for Neymar was if it came from his own bank account, meaning the deal is now as good as complete.

Though the funds have come from the Brazilian’s account, it is technically PSG’s money, as they transferred the necessary funds to the Brazilian, who has in turn passed them on to Barcelona.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/top-stories/reports-neymars-release-clause-paid-no-longer-barca-player/

• Upvote 1

On 02/08/2017 at 8:56 PM, ReggieBush said:

Who does Barca buy now? Mbappe? Coutinho? Veratti?

Also Nice wins their tie against Ajax in UCL Qualies. Sets up a potential tie against Liverpool. Man, I am getting visions of Balo scoring a brace at Anfield doing something outrageous

Mbappe is Real Madrid property. Barca should clap back at PSG and go after Veratti or Di Maria.

Big money is ruining pro soccer in Europe. Do we really want to see Europe have a dozen or so contenders who can throw millions of euros around willy nilly and a few hundred also-rans who might get lucky and achieve a little success before the giants steal away the youngsters they've developed? I think it's time for some kind of capping to be introduced on both wages and transfer fees.

Super Cup in a couple days! Looking forward to seeing how Lindelof, Lukaku, Matic, our new signings, do alongside the rest of the team and how they fit in. They seem like they have seamlessly integrated well into the team. It's going to be a tough match against the Kings of Europe in Madrid but they have their flaws. Definitely excited to see how Pogba being free and able to roam more takes his game back to the level he was playing at in Juve. He's going to be much more exciting to watch and frightening to play against.

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony Romo said:

I was having this argument with my parents who grew up in England. 

Would you rather win the champions league or premier league? They both say EPL, but I think it's a no brainer in the champions league. 

Depends on the stature of the club. For example, I support 2 teams with a passion, Udinese, and Arsenal. I think that winning the Serie A (something that we have never done) would be so special and would give us bragging rights for a whole year. I am not saying that CL is not special, but there is something about winning the league that stands out for me. The Arsenal fan in me says that CL is more important because of the magnitude of the event and for the fact that we have never won it. So basically, if you have won the league before and are a team that is consistently in Europe, then CL is more important and is the trophy that you would rather win. If you are a smaller club, winning the league (a la Leicester) would be the trophy I would rather win

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Depends on the stature of the club. For example, I support 2 teams with a passion, Udinese, and Arsenal. I think that winning the Serie A (something that we have never done) would be so special and would give us bragging rights for a whole year. I am not saying that CL is not special, but there is something about winning the league that stands out for me. The Arsenal fan in me says that CL is more important because of the magnitude of the event and for the fact that we have never won it. So basically, if you have won the league before and are a team that is consistently in Europe, then CL is more important and is the trophy that you would rather win. If you are a smaller club, winning the league (a la Leicester) would be the trophy I would rather win

• Upvote 1

like the simplistic design of the Tottenham shirts above

5 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

I was having this argument with my parents who grew up in England. 

Would you rather win the champions league or premier league? They both say EPL, but I think it's a no brainer in the champions league. 

no brainer for me that EPL > CL in almost every circumstance. only time CL would be better than domestic title is almost a given, like the current state of Ligue 1