The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

13 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Haha Bale played bench warmer again due to the continued rise of Asensio. Now this kid has been money and is living his dream. Barca made a offer back when he was playing with Espanyol but rejected to play for Madrid. He's the next star in the making no one knows about yet. His goal today was world class and he's making a statement on why even without CR7 they have him around. Sealed Barca's fate in the Cup tie as well. They had nothing going right. Well deserved Spanish Cup victory!

If this continues I would push for a transfer to Man U as his agent.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

La Liga is already over. They could suspend Ronaldo for half the year and Madrid will still win the league. I see Barca going into major decline. Their best young player is gone and Messi is north of 30 now. I don't see a lot of fun times ahead for Barca. Madrid should walk the league. 

Barcelona certainly was outplayed on Wednesday.

But they have that $263 million (!!!) from the Neymar transfer burning a hole in their pockets.  That should be able to buy some relief. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I was indeed.

Astana were well organised in the first half but totally collapsed in the second. Eases the pressure for next week.

The place was bouncing big time... Should be a done deal. Could have scored double of that. At least it means a few glamour games coming up to Glasgow. Good luck with the draw.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Barcelona certainly was outplayed on Wednesday.

But they have that $263 million (!!!) from the Neymar transfer burning a hole in their pockets.  That should be able to buy some relief. 

Barcelona are in real trouble, they just upped their Coutinho bid to 129 million euros, which FSG immediately turned down. This has to be an act of desperation on Barcelona's part. Coutinho is good, but not that good. I think they have a lot of rebuilding ahead of them.

4 minutes ago, ynwa said:

Barcelona are in real trouble, they just upped their Coutinho bid to 129 million euros, which FSG immediately turned down. This has to be an act of desperation on Barcelona's part. Coutinho is good, but not that good. I think they have a lot of rebuilding ahead of them.

After the Super Cup on Wednesday a Barca official told the press, they would be close to signing both Coutinho and Dembélé. While I think that there's absolutely zero chance of signing Coutinho now that the FSG group openly told the press that Coutinho will stay, Barca also don't seem to driven to sign Dembélé. Our CEO Watzke said a day later that Barca have not updated their offer from a week ago and that the statement of the Barca official is thereby completely false.

I think Barca is trying to lowball both clubs and I think they're underestimating the importance of those players and the time within the transfer window. Liverpool probably won't sell at all and Dortmund will only say yes when they get the money they're aiming for (allegedly € 150m).

I also still think Barca is behind Dembélé's strike and Coutinho's "transfer request". Barca is losing their hard earned reputation by the day.

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

anyone have any strong opinions on this?

Think its about time this is being introduced... Has been discussed for years.

With so much focus on every decision, the refs been needing all the help they can get for ages.

The issue was always the flow of the game, and how much the video ref should be involved. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

How much is winning the Champions League worth?  Quite a bit, as it turns out:

http://www.cityam.com/270504/much-winning-champions-league-worth-prize-money-stake

See how much money there is involved in the premiership. Sunderland was the worst team and got relegated, and yet made close to  £100million...

Premier-League-Prize-Money-distribution-explained.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

See how much money there is involved in the premiership. Sunderland was the worst team and got relegated, and yet made close to  £100million...

Premier-League-Prize-Money-distribution-explained.jpg

I was wondering what the Facility Fee was, so I googled it.  Apparently, "...It is based on the number of TV appearances each club makes during the domestic football season."

So this would seem to mean that not every EPL game is televised.  If so, I find that surprising.

9 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I was wondering what the Facility Fee was, so I googled it.  Apparently, "...It is based on the number of TV appearances each club makes during the domestic football season."

So this would seem to mean that not every EPL game is televised.  If so, I find that surprising.

TV appearances in UK..... Sky sports and BT sports have paid to show a certain numbers of games, and those are the games the teams gets paid for.

All the games played at 3pm UK time are not shown in the UK. However if you are other places in Europe or Overseas, all the games are available to be seen. 

This is in order to ensure the other teams that plays will be generating gate revenue.

Edited by spook007

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Think its about time this is being introduced... Has been discussed for years.

With so much focus on every decision, the refs been needing all the help they can get for ages.

The issue was always the flow of the game, and how much the video ref should be involved. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Agree, it might take some time for all involved to run efficiently as seen in the Confed Cup. But if it reduces wrong decisions by only 1% it's better than before and should be implemented into the game. Bundesliga taking modern approaches the last couple of seasons. They renewed dialogue with the ultras for the first time after 6 years and seem to get rid of collective punishment. I like it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

TV appearances in UK..... Sky sports and BT sports have paid to show a certain numbers of games, and those are the games the teams gets paid for.

All the games played at 3pm UK time are not shown in the UK. However if you are other places in Europe or Overseas, all the games are available to be seen. 

This is in order to ensure the other teams that plays will be generating gate revenue.

So in the case of the games that aren't shown in the UK, this is like the home blackouts we used to have here for Canucks and Lions games, only in this case "home" is all of England?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

So in the case of the games that aren't shown in the UK, this is like the home blackouts we used to have here for Canucks and Lions games, only in this case "home" is all of England?

Yes exactly... except its all of UK.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Agree, it might take some time for all involved to run efficiently as seen in the Confed Cup. But if it reduces wrong decisions by only 1% it's better than before and should be implemented into the game. Bundesliga taking modern approaches the last couple of seasons. They renewed dialogue with the ultras for the first time after 6 years and seem to get rid of collective punishment. I like it.

Football needs to follow the times. You are absolutely right. The fear has always been the stoppages that it could cause v what kind of incident. But with easy things, like offside, ball over the lines, mistaken identity, clear cut dives as well as dirty tackles, raised arms, penalty decisions (where ref has been blind sided) etc. calls can be made within a few seconds, and more importantly, it takes the heat off the referee. The players will always protest any decision and often ends up getting a call at a later stage...

The ref needs to get all the help he can to make it a fair contest... 

Phenomenal performance by Man U. Bailly gets his 1st goal as a Red Devil off a initial header hitting the bar. Lukaku continues his torrid start in his MU career with another nifty finish into the bottom corner from Mickey's 1st assist. Pogba did great off a interception going on the counter right away and capitalizing off another nice play set up Mickey. Then Martial sealed  the deal with another goal as he's another player that's had a solid start to the season as well. Incredible how Matic takes this team to another level and elevates the team's play and structure. He's starting to become a favourite of mine quite quickly.

• Upvote 1