The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

John Hartson not too long ago about the transfer of Oliver Burke to RB Leipzig:

Crvn2MnWYAAclCJ.jpg

It's even funnier now because he will play Champions League next year with Leipzig. As much as I admired Hartson when playing for Celtic, he's become the stereotypical British pundit now. Oblivious to everything going on outside his comfort zone.

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2017 at 2:37 AM, spook007 said:

Ibra is finish at Utd Beary...

Hopefully not. He's not going to be back until next season after suffering the horrendous injury vs Anderlecht in EL 2nd leg. After today's loss vs the Gunners, Mourinho is focused on winning EL and it is our only shot at getting CL unless we miraculously win our final 3 PL matches and Liverpool or City slow down but that isn't the case now. About Ibra, I really believe he loves United and he wants to stay. Having CL next year will want him to stay even more but firstly, he needs to get healthy so he can be the player he was this past year for another season. The idea of adding Mbappe, Griezmann is tantilizing but I'd rather go after one of the two or seek other options from other leagues but those two are certainly on United's radar

On 5/5/2017 at 10:12 PM, CaptainCanuck001 said:

IMO a perfect summer window for United would be getting Belotti, Fabinho, Mendy, and a decent CB. Rojo has proven all his critics wrong this season, so I don't see why we should go for a a big time CB when Bailly/Rojo will be a perfect partnership. 

Don't want us to go for Griezmann at all, him and Pogba just don't work together as proven by this past summers Euros. Griezmann is at his best as a second striker or #10 and Pogba is at his best in a midfield 3. I'd rather us build our team around Pogba. Fabinho would be the perfect player to compliment Herrera and Pogba in the midfield. 

Mendy has been an absolute beast for Monaco this season, which is why I don't think they will sell him, and I think Shaw is on his way out this summer anyway so he would needed to be replaced. 

As for up top, I don't know if Zlatan will be back but we need to move into this summer assuming he won't. Belotti has probably been my favourite striker to watch this season in Europe, our fellow Italians can attest to his potential. He's good with both feet, can run with the ball, great in the air, the only question I would have would be his hold up play. 

And if De Gea leaves, which he won't, I would like to see us go for Donnarumma or Oblak.

Reveal hidden contents

De Gea isn't leaving. Period lol. We need him for CL next year. Hopefully Madrid $&@? Off and go after Courtois, Lloris or whoever else they want. Belotti is a good option. I like him also. He's a solid striker who just loves to score goals. Pretty young as well so I'd go after him but i doubt  he leaves Serie A. Morata is an option Mourinho and United have apparently identified as a target. He could be tempted to leave Madrid for more minutes. He's the perfect complimentary #10 alongside Rashford that I'd love to see happen but it's good we have a backup in case we don't get Griezmann or Mbappe. Either way, it's going to be a busy summer.

11 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Hopefully not. He's not going to be back until next season after suffering the horrendous injury vs Anderlecht in EL 2nd leg. After today's loss vs the Gunners, Mourinho is focused on winning EL and it is our only shot at getting CL unless we miraculously win our final 3 PL matches and Liverpool or City slow down but that isn't the case now. About Ibra, I really believe he loves United and he wants to stay. Having CL next year will want him to stay even more but firstly, he needs to get healthy so he can be the player he was this past year for another season. The idea of adding Mbappe, Griezmann is tantilizing but I'd rather go after one of the two or seek other options from other leagues but those two are certainly on United's radar

De Gea isn't leaving. Period lol. We need him for CL next year. Hopefully Madrid $&@? Off and go after Courtois, Lloris or whoever else they want. Belotti is a good option. I like him also. He's a solid striker who just loves to score goals. Pretty young as well so I'd go after him but i doubt  he leaves Serie A. Morata is an option Mourinho and United have apparently identified as a target. He could be tempted to leave Madrid for more minutes. He's the perfect complimentary #10 alongside Rashford that I'd love to see happen but it's good we have a backup in case we don't get Griezmann or Mbappe. Either way, it's going to be a busy summer.

I don't expect Zlatan to get a new contract. He'll likely be out for most of next season, and even though he stated, he wouldn't take any salary while out injured, I don't expect him to be back.

Regarding the defeat yesterday, Mourinho had his eyes set on the Europa league already before yesterdays match. As he stated to Sky sports ' It takes 4 wins to qualify to C/L via the league, and 2 wins to qualify via E/L so he has put all his eggs in that basket. And rightfully so. Wouldn't want Pogba or Bailly to get an injury before the return game. Actually surprised he risked Rashford.

According to newspapers all over Europe M'bappe will reject Utd advances.

Fully expect Griezmann to be there next season, together with another top striker. A new c/b and maybe a left back (Mourinho doesn't fancy Shaw), and then there is still talk of Rodriguez or Bale or Kroos ( although it remains to be seen).

Finally the De Gea saga... Hope you are right, but could see him in a deal for one of the above mentioned 3. But Utd will open the purse again this summer. They need C/L football and a winning team.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

On 5/7/2017 at 11:10 AM, Lateralus91 said:

John Hartson not too long ago about the transfer of Oliver Burke to RB Leipzig:

It's even funnier now because he will play Champions League next year with Leipzig. As much as I admired Hartson when playing for Celtic, he's become the stereotypical British pundit now. Oblivious to everything going on outside his comfort zone.

Surprised to read that. He usually stands up for the Scottish league when the English are slating it.

He obviously has no idea about German football.

Juve a great team, but amazing Mandzukic still lives... every single 50/50 or slight touch, he is rolling around as if he has been shot. Was bad at Bayern and still the same crap...

I saying that Juventus are on another level than Monaco... Men against Boys

Edited by spook007

I have to say this tie looks like it's wrapped up and Juve continue their climb for CL title. Monaco have had decent chances and couple close calls but Juve's strong D continue to hold its ground. It's going to take a crazy comeback similar to Barca's vs PSG, but don't see it happening

Kudos to Juve for another sensational performance. They dropped points this past weekend vs Torino in Serie A but they were focusing on today's 2nd leg and didn't miss a beat. Alves with a stunning volley off Subasic's clearance was world class. Wasted no time putting it in the back of the net. Hopefully they take it to either Madrid team in the Final! Go Juve!

• Upvote 3

Things got testy near the end of the 2nd leg with Bailly getting sent off though it could've been Valencia for pushing a Celta player but I don't think a ref caught it. Fellaini sealed the win with the header in the 1st half off Rashford's cross and ends up being the difference. Celta had so many chances in the 2nd half that got me nervous but thankfully we held strong and kept the advantage we had. Hopefully we seal the deal in the final! Go United

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tanev said:

Bailly out for the final will make things more interesting, but really Man Utd should be winning the final convincingly against Ajax

Utd v Ajax has a certain sound to it.

However, I think it'll be anything but convincing. The loss of Bailly on top of Rojo is massive. Don't trust smalling or Jones...

Utd has shown, that without Zlatan up front they struggle to score goals.

I think it'll be a tight game, but Ajax likes to go forward, and I can easily see us play a defensive game, and hit them on the break. 

Either way can't wait. Utd for the win.