The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen

Slegr

19 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am a Hansen fan.   The guy has been a loyal soldier for our club....  but this is a business.    

Buy low and sell high.  Sell high and buy low.

I am not sure why Canuck fans are so against moving older players that are entering into declining years of production.

Hansen has been paid well for his great play on our club. 

Loyalty doesn't exist , it's just business.  

Maybe not, but respect does. Benning treats his guys with respect, thats for sure. He doesn't play games with them and I think the players appreciate it. 

Canucks fans aren't "against" moving players I just think many are more realistic about it. Its easy to say "sell high" but there are only 29 other potential buyers and most of them are pretty smart folks. Its never going to be easy to make a good trade. 

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Maybe not, but respect does. Benning treats his guys with respect, thats for sure. He doesn't play games with them and I think the players appreciate it. 

Canucks fans aren't "against" moving players I just think many are more realistic about it. Its easy to say "sell high" but there are only 29 other potential buyers and most of them are pretty smart folks. Its never going to be easy to make a good trade. 

Hindsight's 20/20 (most of the time) and while I wouldn't call anyone working in the NHL "stupid" there have definitely been extreme examples of both amazing trades and colossal failures here due to "loyalty"

In 1991 Quinn snagged us Cournall, Ronning, Momesso, Dirk AND Futures, for Quinn and Butcher. I don't have to tell anyone here what that single trade set up just 3 years later. Simply amazing, even in that era, to pull that off.

But all good things come to an end right? But should they? In 1996 Boston offered us Adam Oates for Linden straight up and Quinn said no. :o

I was a massive Linden fan as everybody was, but we're talking about Adam Freakin Oates. 1400 points in 1300 games and one of the best playmaking centers in the history of hockey.
How good do you think he would have looked between Bure and Mogilny !? That would have been SICK
But it never happened and you have to think Quinns loyalty to Linden had a lot to do with it because not much else makes any sense. 

I just hope that's not what's happening here now with regards to certain players. 

2 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Hindsight's 20/20 (most of the time) and while I wouldn't call anyone working in the NHL "stupid" there have definitely been extreme examples of both amazing trades and colossal failures here due to "loyalty"

In 1991 Quinn snagged us Cournall, Ronning, Momesso, Dirk AND Futures, for Quinn and Butcher. I don't have to tell anyone here what that single trade set up just 3 years later. Simply amazing, even in that era, to pull that off.

But all good things come to an end right? But should they? In 1996 Boston offered us Adam Oates for Linden straight up and Quinn said no. :o

I was a massive Linden fan as everybody was, but we're talking about Adam Freakin Oates. 1400 points in 1300 games and one of the best playmaking centers in the history of hockey.
How good do you think he would have looked between Bure and Mogilny !? That would have been SICK
But it never happened and you have to think Quinns loyalty to Linden had a lot to do with it because not much else makes any sense. 

I just hope that's not what's happening here now with regards to certain players. 

Probably a cup, Bure probably stays.  

There's so much more tracking and info on players now though compared to Quinn's time, its even harder to make deals. The PK deal still blows me away, but it took a guy like Bergevin who could crap on PKs community service and donations to pull it off. Not sure too many GMs would do that. 

22 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Granlund is really hoping to be a poor man's Hansen.  Nothing against him, love his game but ultimately he will never be as hard to play against as Hansen due to the physical component of it.  

Just my opinion, and in no way a knock on Granlund.

Fair enough. I agree that he will never be as physical or hard to play against as Hansen. But I wouldn't say he is a poor man's Hansen as they are different types of players. 

Granlund is on pace for 20 goals at 23 years old. Hansen has scored 20 goals once, and that was playing mostly with the Sedins. Hansen plays way harder and seems to have a gear that Granlund doesn't have - but Granlund has more natural talent. 

I am unsure if Granlund can take the next step and be a consistent 20 goal / 50 point player. Hansen is also the type of player who seems great on any line, whereas Granlund is sort of a mis-matched tweener. He doesn't seem quite good enough offensively to be a reliable top 6 scorer, but lacks the size and grit to be an effective bottom six player. He is doing well this year so it will be interesting to see how he pans out. 

28 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Probably a cup, Bure probably stays.  

There's so much more tracking and info on players now though compared to Quinn's time, its even harder to make deals. The PK deal still blows me away, but it took a guy like Bergevin who could crap on PKs community service and donations to pull it off. Not sure too many GMs would do that. 

1. I know. It's painful to imagine.

2. That is a classic straight up business-deal. And a great example of not being hamstrung by fan opinion or organizational loyalty.

29 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Instead we ended up with bertuzzi and McCabe (also ruttu)....

They became Henrik and Luongo :o

True enough but just imagine it.... Bure and Mogilny with Oates in the middle. I mean we're talking 80's era epic right there. Those guys were scoring 60 goals a season with Richard Loney in the middle......

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup, the Hawks collect picks.  JB trades 12 of our away:(

Shows you what an experienced  GM  ( Hawks  ) can do compared to a Rookie  inexperienced GM like Benning.

I wonder if FA hires rookies / newbies  primarily so he can more easily manipulate them........

Archived