The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen

Slegr

He is a "swiss army knife", pretty much do what ever he is asked to do and with a very small cap hit. A very valuable trade asset either now or as a sign and trade before the draft, but better to do so a the TDL.

Packaged, he could get a late round first pick or a couple of 2nds easily, I just hope Benning etal think of the 2018 and 2019 draft more than this year.

Load up picks for those two drafts.

28 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If the return doesn't knock socks off, keep & protect him. Due to his skating & versatility, he'll probably be more key than the twins(from this point fwd) for the team's future.

None of hank , danny or hansen will play much of a role in our clubs future actually 

move all 3 

23 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

None of hank , danny or hansen will play much of a role in our clubs future actually 

move all 3 

The only way 22 and 33 get moved is if they go full Iginla and say they want to be moved to a contender at next years tdl. It appears they are more likely to Sundin and decline being away from their families for several months.

Although it sucks to see a 2nd and  3rd overall pick reap 0 in return, after over combined 35 years combined service they deserve that right.

1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

The only way 22 and 33 get moved is if they go full Iginla and say they want to be moved to a contender at next years tdl. It appears they are more likely to Sundin and decline being away from their families for several months.

Although it sucks to see a 2nd and  3rd overall pick reap 0 in return, after over combined 35 years combined service they deserve that right.

Yes, of course.  It will be their call for the next 2 years..

Trickier though as UFA's.      Then it  will all come down to dollars and term. ....

I don't see them signing here again after their current contract. I  think retirement is likely.  

On 1/24/2016 at 0:07 PM, GoLions said:

Every draft there are players picked in the 1st round that don't turn into half the player Hansen is. If the Canucks would have drafted him bottom 1st or high 2nd round, he would be considered a successful pick. So what would be bring back? A  2nd round pick and/or prospect which may, or may not, turn into NHL roster players. He's 29 so has a few years left, and is still getting better.

On 1/24/2016 at 5:55 PM, canucklehead44 said:

His value is high right now, but at the same time we need a player like him. 

At 29 he is a good bridge between the young players and the older vets. He has shown (both this year and the lockout year) he can hold his own on the first line offensively. Sitting 44th in the league in goals. 30 teams, 3 first liners per team = he is middle of the pack. I would classify him as a "middle six", but he is doing a great job in a valuable roll for 2.5 million with two more years remaining.

Trading him for picks leaves a bit of a gap. We will have a lot of young guys challenging for spots, and not enough veteran presence. JB has done an alright job acquiring players to fill the gap of the drafts between 2006 - 2011 where we had a grand total of ZERO picks pan out onto our current roster. 

2011 - Baertschi 
2010 - Etem ?
2009 - Vey ?
2008 - Sbisa
2007 - Sutter
2006 - Dorsett

I'm not disagreeing with what you say.  I'm torn.  It's a matter of exposure to the expansion draft that weighs most heavily for me.  Who gets exposed?  1 of Hansen, Baertschi and Granlund.  Do you move him rather than lose him for nothing?  The same goes for whoever they decide to expose.  

Was it Craig Button who ran a simulator program for the expansion draft last fall and came up with Vegas selecting Gaunce?  Would they really?  I think this thing is going to get damn complicated.  You can have the best intelligence on the ED and you are going to get it wrong guaranteed!  

Maybe they want Miller?  But he's on an expiring contract.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Fact checker.  Hansen was born on Mar 15, 1986.  That would make him 30.  31 in 1 month.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say.  I'm torn.  It's a matter of exposure to the expansion draft that weighs most heavily for me.  Who gets exposed?  1 of Hansen, Baertschi and Granlund.  Do you move him rather than lose him for nothing?  The same goes for whoever they decide to expose.  

Was it Craig Button who ran a simulator program for the expansion draft last fall and came up with Vegas selecting Gaunce?  Would they really?  I think this thing is going to get damn complicated.  You can have the best intelligence on the ED and you are going to get it wrong guaranteed!  

Maybe they want Miller?  But he's on an expiring contract.

Comments are over a year old (January 2016). Hansen was 29 at the time.

I would be fine with trading Hansen so we can protect Granlund & Baertschi. Sbisa gets picked up. Sbisa could also be traded at the deadline, which would mean we lose Gaunce in the expansion draft.

46 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I would be fine with trading Hansen so we can protect Granlund & Baertschi. Sbisa gets picked up. Sbisa could also be traded at the deadline, which would mean we lose Gaunce in the expansion draft.

LOL,  I retract my comment with apologies.  :)

5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

2 art ross winners is nothing in return? This new dump em when they're old mentality the hockey world has developed has saddened me. I miss the days when it would have been an honor to have guys like the Sedins retire as Canucks.

On 1/23/2016 at 5:05 PM, McCannon said:

I find some of the views on this site honestly absurd or perhaps its just lack of understanding how hard it is to play at a high level in a pro sport - not sure if it ignorance or just well who knows but.....

1. I often see people say  trade this guy, trade that guy his value is high! Like this is a video game and just because you have a player rated 80 below him he's movable - life is not a video game nor is pro sports.

2. A TEAM is built with a multitude of different type of players, different roles, different strengths and weaknesses

3. The Canucks are a team in transition and through that transition it takes young players a long time to learn how to compete day in day out, learn how hard they have to work, prepare during the season and offseason. Moreover, placing players who are young in roles they are not ready for for 82 games is the easiest way to bust them. Sure a player may look great in a role for 2-4 games, but then maybe he has to go up against an Ovechkin and his role is to shut him down, the next night, he has to shut down Malkin, then Kane....kids will get schooled, lose their confidence, and then bust.

4. The value of a player like Hansen is

A. He's a burner - he'll never lose those wheels

B. His role on this team has never been to score goals, it has been as forechecker, a pk'er, a tough guy to play against, so his goals are a plus and as he ages this means, his value to the team will not decline very much.

C. Much like a player like Burrows - this guy embodies what it is to be a LEADER on and off the ice. The man is a PRO, he works his tail off, is pure Canuck through and through, he comes to play 110% EVERY night, when has anyone ever said 'Man that Hansen is dogging it" - NEVER. Complaints have only been, damn I wish he could finish. That is the type of player this team NEEDS in this transition phase. He shelters the young guys, teaches them how to play the PRO game, and contributes all he has every night.

5. People here seem to think you can just plug in these young guys because they were drafted high and hey in NHL 16 if you have a first round draft pick they can play right! No..not how it works sorry. Look at Cassells, not a first rounder but many thought he was ready, the AHL is showing he's not yet. Guance, Shinkaruk, are just 'starting' to show they  MIGHT be ready for a look. Does that mean they can come in and play 82 games and not get worn down, contribute as much or more AND be able to lead??? No

Hansen like Burrows should retire a Canuck. In 3-4 years when we have a hopefully another shot at a Cup, the twins will hopefully be around as third liners / 2b. Burr will be the depth guy you bring in during the playoffs if there are injuries and Hansen and Dorsett bookend the 4th line.

Guys who have battled, who have been there are always needed, that's why every team that goes to the cup searches for those types of players desperately when they are making their run....we have a few that will be in the 'right' spot when he have our next shot - why would we get rid of some of our best leaders?

Anyone suggesting this type of stuff doesn't really have much knowledge of what it takes to create a winner, and to win - IMHO

McCannon has my vote for the post of the ...  month, at least! 

Don't forget that good teams need veterans for the Stanley Cup runs.  Lest we forget, that there are lazy veterans around the NHL that end up being bad contracts ...

Hansen is the perfect kind of a player that will give us another top notch 5 years, so trading him would be shooting ourselves in the foot.  

On 2/13/2017 at 5:47 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Granlund is really hoping to be a poor man's Hansen.  Nothing against him, love his game but ultimately he will never be as hard to play against as Hansen due to the physical component of it.  

Just my opinion, and in no way a knock on Granlund.

On February 13, 2017 at 9:36 PM, MikeyBoy44 said:

2 art ross winners is nothing in return? This new dump em when they're old mentality the hockey world has developed has saddened me. I miss the days when it would have been an honor to have guys like the Sedins retire as Canucks.

Yes but back in the day the retired in their early 30s instead of 40

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Granlund is really hoping to be a poor man's Hansen.  Nothing against him, love his game but ultimately he will never be as hard to play against as Hansen due to the physical component of it.  

Just my opinion, and in no way a knock on Granlund.

He already is a poor man's Hansen. But think back to Hansen when he was Granlund's age. Granlund has significantly better hands/scoring touch than Hansen had at that point. Hansen always had the speed and motor though. So I think they're slightly different players but Granlund could very well end up being a more skilled yet slower version of Hansen with less of an edge. Still a very valuable player. 

Hansen is 31 yrs old and his production is now starting to trend down.

Have we not learned anything by keeping vets too long and eventually getting zero value  by potentially moving them.

Hansen is at peak or close to peak value right now.  NOW is the time to move him for younger prospect or pick.

His production will trend down again next year and his value will be further reduced.

He is 31 next month.  Next year almost  32 at the TDL

It is 100 % time to trade Hansen  right now.....   Jim Benning it is time to put on your big boy pants and do your job.  Trade Hansen. 

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Have we not learned anything by keeping vets too long and eventually getting zero value  by potentially moving them.

Hansen is at peak or close to peak value right now.  NOW is the time to move him for younger prospect or pick.

His production will trend down again next year and his value will be further reduced.

It is 100 % time to trade Hansen  right now.....   Jim Benning it is time to put on your big boy pants and do your job.  Trade Hansen. 

I agree. But with provisions that he is your best tradeable asset and only if there is a first round pick coming back and/or a good young player/prospect.

Miller

Burrows

Guance

Subban

Sbisa

Hutton

Tanev

Any combination of these guys could be trade bait to try to get a good young top six forward who is prospect or ascending young player.

Benning needs to make a bold move. Maybe it's trading Tanev or Hutton?

34 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

This, not sure why some people think he's going to have another 5 prime years. I think even next season he'll start to decline. The league is getting younger.

Archived