The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Hodgson on the 4th line?

JensenFan2011

AV knows best................I don't think Cody would be complaining and why shouldn't Manny get some time with Raymond and Hansen.

It might be AV showing Manny he has faith in him and rewarding him for his hard work. It might also be a tactic of using Manny's face off prowess with slightly more lively guys around him.

It might even be a wee bit of tough love for Cody. A player like Hodgson would have to work harder on that 4th line. AV reckons it will toughen him up AND give him a chance to learn some new "wrinkles" from Lapierre.

Anyway............it's all good. :rolleyes:

It constantly amazes me on here how many people don't understand that a good/great coach is CONSTANTLY assessing his players every minute he is in their presence. So are his trusted assistants.

AV may have noticed something in Manny OR Coho that we are not privy to. Give the guy a break and some credit and for goodness sake stop bitching like a parent whose favoured child has been demoted by the school hockey coach.

Anyone would think AV went out of his way to ruin the team and the players judging by the constant whining on here.

I think AV is doing something great here. He is showing he has learned from last year.

Injuries aside, we didn't have the personnel or the proof in practice to enable us to change things around and by doing so put the opposition off their game ...............when it looked like they had figured us out.

It seems to me that he has he rightly waited until we are where we want to be and now he is putting in place these options which can be used when things need changed up. That is smart.

Smarter still he is doing it not only to the benefit of our established stars but he is giving these fringe players a real gee up and telling them "this is what I might ask you to do and look, you are very capable of doing it."

All this while staying apace with the other top teams who are knocking their pans out to stick with us.

AV and MG have as Baldric would say "a cunning plan" :)

He's struggled over these last couple of games and Malhotra has really played well for us. Simple case of playing the better player more.

When Higgins returns I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Bitz

Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - Lapierre - Burrows

Malhotra - Hodgson - Raymond

That's a great top line, a successful 2nd line that hasn't played poorly when together yet, a very gritty, aggravating 3rd line and a skillful 4th line.

Suddenly we have infinite options with Bitz proving he has some serious offensive skill.

He's struggled over these last couple of games and Malhotra has really played well for us. Simple case of playing the better player more. When Higgins returns I'd like to see this: Sedin - Sedin - Bitz Higgins - Kesler - Booth Hansen - Lapierre - Burrows Malhotra - Hodgson - Raymond That's a great top line, a successful 2nd line that hasn't played poorly when together yet, a very gritty, aggravating 3rd line and a skillful 4th line. Suddenly we have infinite options with Bitz proving he has some serious offensive skill.

He's struggled over these last couple of games and Malhotra has really played well for us. Simple case of playing the better player more. When Higgins returns I'd like to see this: Sedin - Sedin - Bitz Higgins - Kesler - Booth Hansen - Lapierre - Burrows Malhotra - Hodgson - Raymond That's a great top line, a successful 2nd line that hasn't played poorly when together yet, a very gritty, aggravating 3rd line and a skillful 4th line. Suddenly we have infinite options with Bitz proving he has some serious offensive skill.

I feel Cody has gone on a bit of a cold streak since being named rookie of the month.

In the month of February he has played four games averaging 13:30 mins. Hes earned 0 points. His faceoffs have been 33.5%.

In January first four games he had 4 points, averaging 13:10, and his faceoffs were 47.25%

My god a bunch of you are just so whinny like a stage mom. Play my kid more play my kid more. I don't care how the team does! I just want the coach to play my kid more. It's not fair! Forget that we are one point behind first in the NHL, the coach is awful and has no idea what he's doing because my kid doesn't play enough! I don't care if we get other players going. I just want to see my kid play!

Who give a sh!t we won 5-2 in the best 60 minutes we've played in a long time.

Cody's line got a goal, and Manny's line got a goal. AV's move got us 2 goals from the bottom 6 and that's all that matters. I don't care how many minutes Cody plays or what line he's on as long as the team keeps winning.

AV got the win and 2 goals from the bottom 6 so why y'all complaining? It clearly worked.

Biggest question is what do you do to a team and fan favorite Malholtra. Who`s eye injury has proven more devestating for a forward that needs to be involved with a play compared to a defenceman with a similiar type of eye injury. His goal was a tip in along the ice while his pass retrival and pass making have been a line killer. Mostly likely why Lappierre production has dissappeared more than normal with Malholtra on his wing. Cody was slotted in on the fourth to give Lappierre a break and someone to play wing.

This question was actually answered by Valk before it was asked here - his opinion was that Henrik's injured ankle encouraged AV to spread out the time more equally and roll all four lines - and that using your top guys to death at this time of the year doesn't make sense. As noted, Cody's ice time wasn't really reduced. All this protesting over AV's decisions is slightly compulsive if you ask me - stop reading the Province already. Should we be protesting because Bitz stepped from the AHL to the top line? That's not fair to Burrows, blah, blah. Most people could figure out what AV is doing if they weren't so busy complaining and doubting. The lines were balanced out more - a good strategy and a timely experiment. A 5-2 win. Minnesota is the league's worst team of late - a pretty good time to try a few different things and not tax the Sedins unnecessarily. Good move AV - a solid victory and some more information about possible alternatives when the matchups aren't great for the forward lines.

Regarding Ballard - he was a last minute scratch - who knows why? Until you do, stop complaining - besides Albert is no slouch and has earned some starts...

Archived