The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Henrik Sedin Comments On Referees

yeah, and you try winning any type of game when someone else is given an unfair advantage. it's ???? ridiculous that it is going on. it pisses people off and it should. Teams are close enough in skill that if the refs decide to give one a tiny bit of an advantage that it can decide the outcome of a series.

Game management makes me sick. Stats have no meaning if they are not going to call games fairly.

I think its a smart move by Hank, considering this is more of a league-wide problem and many players will probably agree with his sentiment.

What annoys me the most is that there has been no explanation for the change, which I think is owed and long overdue.

I greatly appreciate Brandan Shanahan's explanations, even though I still dont agree with one man handing out all the suspensions.

The least they could do is explain this mid-season revision of the rule book which has been so completely bush league.

i watched every playoff game tyvm. the NHL goes with the best of the best to ref for the playoffs AKA no chris lee or stephen auger. the refs did a fine job for the most part. take off the goggles and the tinfoil hat and grow up. there is no conspiracy against the canucks

May as well say - it does not explain the Canucks mediocre play of late - but the obvious, quantifiable difference in penalty calls from one month to the next is pretty obvious.

Aside from letting alot of interference etc go (judgement calls) and allowing the game to deteriorate there are also simple errors - last night Bourque quit on a play where he knew he was obviously offside - the play continued and ended in a Higgins delay of game penalty and then a 5 on 3 goal by Subban. Referees obviously make mistakes like everyone else, and the odd missed call like that is going to cost a team - and those are different than the overall lack of consistency - officials like players have off nights.

But there are certain officials that you just know when they are doing a game, that you are in for a rough night - last night when I saw Kevin Pollock and Dave Jackson, I just had that feeling... similar to when I see Kelly Sutherland - these are a few of the guys who have a style of officiating that lets games get out of hand - and watching a game like last night, I somewhat lose interest or concern with a win, and find myself just hoping the Canucks can get out of the relatively unimportant game without any serious injuries. From one official to the next there is nowhere near enough consistency - it is almost as though they all feel they are entitled to exercise whatever kind of influence they want on the game, and it is impossible not to notice the vast discrepancies and call into question the credibility of NHL officials. And when calls accross the league drop off so noticeably, you have to be concerned about the quality of the product, and the likelihood that a bunch more players are going to join the long list of guys already injured.

I watch a lot of other sports and I have to agree entirely with Henrik - I have favorites in those other sports as well, that I pull for, but very rarely find myself frustrated with the consistency and negative impact of officiating. The only comparable thing I can think of is the strike zone in baseball, where umpires have their own 'styles' or ideas of what a strike consists of - I find that similarly ludicrous and failing to realize that there is actually a universal and objective standard, and that their job is to take themselves out of the equation as much as possible, and simply apply those standards as fairly and consistently as possible. Officials with egos or personalized standards/agendas in my mind lack professionalism, acting more like bureaucrats than neutral and objective third parties.

It needs to be done. They need to be exposed for what they really are. So just sit there and let the refs cheat? Yes, ill pass on just accepting cheating. If someone is taking advantage of you at work, you dont just sit there and let it happen. you stick up for yourself. There's absolutely no reason to play any sort of professional sport if the only neutral party is actively trying to prevent you from winning hockey games.

Refereeing is at an all-time high in inconsistency right now in the NHL. It's a freaking joke. No one knows what's a penalty anymore. Hell the referees don't even know; just ask the idiot who called Higgins for delay of game where hitting the puck out in mid-air is clearly not a penalty according to the rule-book. Maybe these moron refs need a quick class before playoffs to be reminded of what is a penalty and what isn't.

Can't disagree with hank here. However, rather than waiting and hoping for the league to react to his statement and change the rules back (won't happen) the Sedins need to take it upon themselves NOW to adjust their game and compete.

The rules are just like they are now in the playoffs and have been forever. It should not come as a suprise in the playoffs when the whistles go away. That is playoff hockey.

If anything this is a good thing as it gives them 15 games to adjust and find a new strategy before the playoffs begin.

LOL @ the people thinking that the Canucks are whining, you're all idiots.

If you watch Canucks games, you will notice that the Canucks get shafted all the time.

Also, there are other teams that have also complained about the reffing and their bias, see: Torts at Winter Classic.

Thats the kinda statement that will garner us some more of that fantastic officiating this spring. It gets harder too get two points out of a game at this time in the season for everyone. I wish they (the team) would stop complaining like this, its not helping the situation.

Archived