The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

I shouldn't have opened this thread... We couldve done so many things to lure him here.

-Compliment his play saying he can succeed with guys like Hamhuis or Edler

-Remind him of where he's from

-Guarantee him pp mins and he can possibly get Ehrhoff numbers.

-we didn't qualify MAG to open space for him

-asked our star players to confront him

-Naslund will tell him how great it was to play here

-Linden will tell him that its great to play here especially if you are from BC

-Sturm will cause Justin to become starstruck and this call will definately compete with Gretzky's..

Justin: Hello

Sturm: Hi, its me Marco Sturm representing the Vancouver Canucks, how are you?

Justin: ... (Hears running on stairs) MOM MARCO STURM JUST CALLED ME!

Momma Schultz: OMG!!! ASK If HE can Send you an autograph!!!!!

Sturm: Hello?...

Agree with this 100%. If he chooses not to sign with us because we don't guarantee him ice time, I won't care. It would be a selfish move to demand a roster spot, and also one that shows you don't have much confidence in tour abilities. No rookie "deserves" a roster spot without proving himself. Guaranteeing Schultz ice time just because of his big name would be extremely unfair to our other prospects and would piss them off for sure.

Just want to say that Edmonton has a lot more than ice time to offer. If he chooses them, it's likely because he wants to play and grow together with a young, dynamic, exciting core of players.

Edmonton's current situation can be compared to Pittsburgh in June 2006 and Chicago in June 2008. Pittsburgh finished dead last in the Eastern Conference in 2006. In 2007 they made the playoffs. In 2008 they lost in the Finals. In 2009 they won a Stanley Cup. In 2008 Chicago finished 10th in the Western Conference. In 2009 they made the Western Conference Finals, and in 2010 they won the Cup.

Schultz can come to Vancouver and be a small part of something special. Or he can go to Edmonton and be a big part of something special.

Further, it can be argued that Edmonton offers just as great an opportunity to win as does Vancouver. Over the span of Schultz's projected career, it would not be unreasonable to predict that Edmonton will be more successful than Vancouver.

Like Schultz, I am a big Canucks fan. But if I was in his position, I would choose Edmonton.

Just want to say that Edmonton has a lot more than ice time to offer. If he chooses them, it's likely because he wants to play and grow together with a young, dynamic, exciting core of players.

Edmonton's current situation can be compared to Pittsburgh in June 2006 and Chicago in June 2008. Pittsburgh finished dead last in the Eastern Conference in 2006. In 2007 they made the playoffs. In 2008 they lost in the Finals. In 2009 they won a Stanley Cup. In 2008 Chicago finished 10th in the Western Conference. In 2009 they made the Western Conference Finals, and in 2010 they won the Cup.

Schultz can come to Vancouver and be a small part of something special. Or he can go to Edmonton and be a big part of something special.

Further, it can be argued that Edmonton offers just as great an opportunity to win as does Vancouver. Over the span of Schultz's projected career, it would not be unreasonable to predict that Edmonton will be more successful than Vancouver.

Like Schultz, I am a big Canucks fan. But if I was in his position, I would choose Edmonton.

I'm not 100% sold on this guy's character yet. Of course I would love to have his hockey skills on the team. But he also seems like a bit of a diva, especially the way he misled Anaheim. Of course I don't know the player or the situation well enough to know for sure what he's like, I'm just saying I'm not sure. Don't want any drama queens on the Canucks.

Schultz can sign with Vancouver or Edmonton as both teams offer appealing points. Everyone on here and most likely the Oilers boards as well, is talking like this contract will be his last and he will remain with whichever organization, for the duration of his career. Edmonton= Playing time on a team with potential prospects that may or may not be in cup contention in 3 years. In a city in which was voted by the players, as the least appealing city to play for. Vancouver= Playing time on a team with some of the most highly skilled players in the world. His hometown team of which his parents are season ticket holders and happens to be the most beautiful city in Canada. A team that is currently in cup contention for the next 3 or more years. Sign with Vancouver now and if it does not pan out, sign with Edmonton after his contract is up. It's a win, win for Schultz.

Cheers

If I was Schultz, Edmonton would be the more attractive place to start my career off at. Pretty much guaranteed to play a key role with a bunch of guys who are around my age, and the potential to grow into a leader fairly quickly.

Winning wouldn't matter too much...the Canucks haven't ever won a Cup, so IMHO that's not even a bargaining point from the Canucks side.

Most solid rumour comes from Pagnotta of the Fourth Period, who said last night Oilers were frontrunners.

This just in on the Justin Schultz-recruit-a-thon, incoming tweet from radio sports reporter Andy Strickland of St. Louis, who tweets: “Word is #Oilers and #Sens are final two teams for Justin Schultz.”

Stickland later added: “A 3rd team also makes final cut for Justin Schultz… told he still hasnt made decision. one is expected mid afternoon as already reported.”

Steve Zipay, a beat writer for Newsday, adds: “Hearing Wisconsin prospect Justin Schultz , having heard pitches from six NHL teams, could take offer from Rangers today.”

This is followed up by ESPN’s John Buccigross tweeting: “Could be some big NHL news today. Stay tuned NY Rangers fans.”

What are we to make of these tweets?

1. Spelling and grammar on Twitter (and blogs) still an issue.

2. Schultz is not an Edmonton Oiler — not yet.

3. I’ve heard of Stickland before. He’s no Bob McKenzie, but he covers the NHL out of St. Louis and runs a decent-looking blog, TrueHockey.

Looks to me like he’s just passing on something he heard, but maybe heard second or third hand. There’s no attribution, but he’s putting his own rep on the line by naming the final two teams …. although he does cover himself by mentioning an unnamed third team. If Schultz signs with one of three others, Stickland can simply say, ‘Well, that’s the third team.’

3. Zipay’s comment doesn’t add much, either, does it? Schultz could sign with the Rangers. Or not.

Same with Buccigross. Could be big news for Rangers fans. Or there could not be.

OK, it’s pretty clear this information tells us pretty much nothing.

We  can all laugh at ourselves at this point for following every twist and turn of the Schultz-a-thon as if we were crazed, fanatical Oilers fans starved for good news, which is exactly what we are.

By the way, if Schultz doesn’t chose Edmonton, the proper reaction is: “Thanks for considering the team and the city, young man. Good luck to you in your future city.”

Of course, all bets are off if he signs with Vancouver. The gloves are off with the Canucks.

P.S. David Pagnotta of the Fourth Period tweeted this: “Saturday is Schultz day… we should know his decision in about 3-5hrs.”

And Pagnotta also wrote last night: “Sounds like Oilers & Senators are top 2 teams in race for Schultz… gotta imagine calls from Gretzky & Coffey puts EDM ahead.To clarify, I’ve heard EDM & OTT are atop list for Schultz. Don’t know if other 4 teams are out. Led to believe Oilers are frontrunners.”

Hmmm. That’s a bit more firm, isn’t it. Pagnotta is a solid reporter.

Hope lives in Edmonton.

Most solid rumour comes from Pagnotta of the Fourth Period, who said last night Oilers were frontrunners.

This just in on the Justin Schultz-recruit-a-thon, incoming tweet from radio sports reporter Andy Strickland of St. Louis, who tweets: "Word is #Oilers and #Sens are final two teams for Justin Schultz."

Stickland later added: "A 3rd team also makes final cut for Justin Schultz… told he still hasnt made decision. one is expected mid afternoon as already reported."

Steve Zipay, a beat writer for Newsday, adds: "Hearing Wisconsin prospect Justin Schultz , having heard pitches from six NHL teams, could take offer from Rangers today."

This is followed up by ESPN's John Buccigross tweeting: "Could be some big NHL news today. Stay tuned NY Rangers fans."

What are we to make of these tweets?

1. Spelling and grammar on Twitter (and blogs) still an issue.

2. Schultz is not an Edmonton Oiler — not yet.

3. I've heard of Stickland before. He's no Bob McKenzie, but he covers the NHL out of St. Louis and runs a decent-looking blog, TrueHockey.

Looks to me like he's just passing on something he heard, but maybe heard second or third hand. There's no attribution, but he's putting his own rep on the line by naming the final two teams …. although he does cover himself by mentioning an unnamed third team. If Schultz signs with one of three others, Stickland can simply say, 'Well, that's the third team.'

3. Zipay's comment doesn't add much, either, does it? Schultz could sign with the Rangers. Or not.

Same with Buccigross. Could be big news for Rangers fans. Or there could not be.

OK, it's pretty clear this information tells us pretty much nothing.

We can all laugh at ourselves at this point for following every twist and turn of the Schultz-a-thon as if we were crazed, fanatical Oilers fans starved for good news, which is exactly what we are.

By the way, if Schultz doesn't chose Edmonton, the proper reaction is: "Thanks for considering the team and the city, young man. Good luck to you in your future city."

Of course, all bets are off if he signs with Vancouver. The gloves are off with the Canucks.

P.S. David Pagnotta of the Fourth Period tweeted this: "Saturday is Schultz day… we should know his decision in about 3-5hrs."

And Pagnotta also wrote last night: "Sounds like Oilers & Senators are top 2 teams in race for Schultz… gotta imagine calls from Gretzky & Coffey puts EDM ahead.To clarify, I've heard EDM & OTT are atop list for Schultz. Don't know if other 4 teams are out. Led to believe Oilers are frontrunners."

Hmmm. That's a bit more firm, isn't it. Pagnotta is a solid reporter.

Hope lives in Edmonton.

Archived