The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scoring Touch---- Concerns Me.

tan

Now People start to panic .....

In the last month also, we have played 17 games and scored total 34 goals.

We were down from no. 1 GF in the league to no.6.

before that time, we had average 3.4 goals per game.

the last 17 games we have 2 goals per game.

There are something seriously wrong here. Mr. Coach, what went wrong?

It reminds me in 07-08 season, all players were shaped like " it would be one goal game... many games would be tight 1:0 or 2:1。。。“ blah blah. Lui saved our ass to 2nd round playoff. that's it. He doesn't score to save us. right now, we have arguably the deepest forward in the league.... but, the goals for some reason diminishing....

Mr. Coach, are you like the guy still calm and doesn't care while the rest of us all concern or worry about it?

post-30323-0-17911400-1332899781_thumb.j

post-30323-0-17911400-1332899781_thumb.j

Well the Sedins provide the brunt of the scoring and they were struggling since mid February. This will bring down the GPG average down by around 1 since they are involved in a goal in nearly every game.

Of course, our secondary scoring hasn't done much either, and we don't have much of a puck moving D-man in Ehrhoff anymore. Edler still lacks in that department along with getting shots through consistently.

Well the Sedins provide the brunt of the scoring and they were struggling since mid February. This will bring down the GPG average down by around 1 since they are involved in a goal in nearly every game.

Of course, our secondary scoring hasn't done much either, and we don't have much of a puck moving D-man in Ehrhoff anymore. Edler still lacks in that department along with getting shots through consistently.

Ya. Whether it was the trade or fatigue setting in, Feb 27 was the date I look back on that changed this team.

Like you said, Nucks were avg'ing 3.4 goals per/game before Feb 27, avg'ing 2 goals per/game after. That date also changed the 'system' of this team, from 3 scoring lines, to 2 checking lines.

Since then, Canucks have played 8 one goal games - lost 3, won 5. The slightly concerning thing is, 4 of those 5 wins came against teams who are currently sitting outside the playoffs. All three losses came against teams within the playoffs. So that's great that they can win 1 goal games against potential non-playoff teams, but losing 1 goal games against playoff teams is a concern. Oddly enough, Canucks are only likely to see only 1 playoff bound team before the season ends - so it will be tough to judge.

Hank keeps preaching the need to win 1 goal games. I agree. They've traded their 4th leading scorer, their top forwards are having bad offensive seasons, and the league is the most competitive we've seen in forever. I'm just not sure how successful the '1 goal game' strategy is long term.

EDIT: Good article from the Province: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Canucks+defence+first+strategy+double+edged+sword/6369152/story.html

Ya. Whether it was the trade or fatigue setting in, Feb 27 was the date I look back on that changed this team.

Like you said, Nucks were avg'ing 3.4 goals per/game before Feb 27, avg'ing 2 goals per/game after. That date also changed the 'system' of this team, from 3 scoring lines, to 2 checking lines.

Since then, Canucks have played 8 one goal games - lost 3, won 5. The slightly concerning thing is, 4 of those 5 wins came against teams who are currently sitting outside the playoffs. All three losses came against teams within the playoffs. So that's great that they can win 1 goal games against potential non-playoff teams, but losing 1 goal games against playoff teams is a concern. Oddly enough, Canucks are only likely to see only 1 playoff bound team before the season ends - so it will be tough to judge.

Hank keeps preaching the need to win 1 goal games. I agree. They've traded their 4th leading scorer, their top forwards are having bad offensive seasons, and the league is the most competitive we've seen in forever. I'm just not sure how successful the '1 goal game' strategy is long term.

obviously with the moves MG made and the lineups AV is making were very focused on bettering our defensive minded hockey skills. weve clinched a spot, now its time to really play around and find things out about the team. change our style, see who shines with the new style of play, mic up the lines and see what happens. AV is pretty much playing mad scientist, nothing about this team is looking or performing as usual.

its a good thing though because well become more faceted and able to adjust our game whatever our opponent may bring. we got downed in the SCF because we simply couldnt match up to bostons style of play and didnt know who or what to put in to combat it. SCF isnt the time to start mixing things up and boston didnt have to.

Not sure what stats you are seeing but in the last 16 games (since and including the win over Detroit) the Canucks have won 8 games (seven by one goal) and lost 8 games (4 by one goal). All but three of these games have been against teams in or fighting for a playoff birth. Only three losses were against teams well out of it, and who is in an who is out changes daily as several teams are within a couple points of being 7-10th. Of the remaining 6 games 4 are against teams battling for a playoff spot.

The Canucks have begun winning the one goal games again and these tight close games are going to continue well into the playoffs for the Canucks.

Archived