The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton's First Overall

I see them taking yak and giving dubnyk a chance to be the starter.

Then they have the option of seeing who they want to keep. Say yak and nuge have unreal chemistry, then they can look at moving hall or gagne for a defenseman or goalie if needed.

Time is on their side. They aren't in dire need of key pieces in a cup or bust year.

Agreed, I think we'll see them flip picks with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

I can see Edmonton's first overall pick to Columbus for the second overall pick and Steve Mason happening.

Columbus picks Nail Yakupov. Edmonton picks Ryan Murray, the defenceman they need to compliment Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Jordan Eberle.

AHEM... Why do we want Yakupov?

We just traded an offensive talent for grit that isnt there. You guys want to correct a mistake or what?

We need a defenceman, not a forward.

Yeah.. Yakupov is enticing, but trading everything we have for a first overall pick is never a good play. You will NEVER know how he will turn out, Gillis is not the type of GM to make this call.

EDIT: To 'Playboi19'... Stop over rating Kassians trade value. He is nothing right now, to call him a gritty winger is wrong. He is basically a 4th liner that will be in and out until you can show he is an actual Right Winger with playing ability. He's not there, it will be a long while before he is.

Edmonton doesn't need Yakupov, nor does Columbus or NYI want to take the risk of another high profile Russian. Edmonton wants a Dman, and Montreal and TO have Dmen to offer. That being said, TO wants a centre and I don't think that Yak is Burkies kind of player. But montreal would absolutely love Yakupov, the new GM would love to make a splash at the draft, it is a perfect fit. I could see Montreals 1st and PK Subban for Edmontons first and a prospect, another soft Euro that would fit into their system like Paarjavi.

Nashville is a perfect fit to trade with the Oilers. They have the young stud goalie to trade (LIndback), they have two options of top young defenseman to trade (Blum and/or Ellis). I realize they don't have a first rounder this year but they have the assets, even without giving up Suter or Weber.

For Nashville's sake, they get a young potential superstar to market to the fans and to have long term (in an already very well run franchise). He could fit right in alongside a guy like Fisher on the second line.

Do you think Edmonton could get Lindback, Ellis and Blum for the first overall? I think it's too much. Maybe two of those and a second round pick.

Original offer from me was Schneider straight up for the pick.

It hasn't changed since, to some extent, since the pick belongs to the OIlers now, i'm not sure If I am willing to give him to a division rival.

I will be happy to trade him (Schneider) straight up for the 2nd pick and draft Murray.

I don't know if Edm would do this trade... but i'd have to consider it...

But then again if salo doesn't come back we have 2 big holes on out defense for next year then...

Actually I'd do this because we could trade Schneider + out for the top pick for columbus then draft Ryan Murray as well.

Either way this is not going to happen.

I truly believe that the Canadian team with the best chance to trade with Edmonton for the 1st overall is Winnipeg, and I don't say that because I have Jets season tickets.

Personally, I don't think Edmonton wants Ryan Murray. They don't want to have to wait until 2016 to be in the playoffs, they want to get there now. That team needs additional revenue and they need it fast. They don't have the luxury, at least I don't think, to wait for a defensive prospect to develop and maybe turn out strong on their backend in 3-4 years (at most).

First, let's rule out some other Canadian teams:

Vancouver Canucks - I'm still under the belief the Oilers will want a NHL ready defenseman AND a good first round draft pick this year. Gillis won't trade away Edler, as he is only having a blip in these playoffs, and they don't have a high enough draft pick. This doesn't seem possible to me.

Calgary Flames - These two teams have made trades with each other in the past, but never with a first overall pick. That, and the Flames have a middle of the road pick with no top 4 defensemen they can part with.

Montreal Canadiens - This team is exceptionally week on the backend for prospects. They have Kaberle, Markov, Subban, Emelin. They cannot afford to part with either of those pieces. And really, the only player the Oilers would want would be Subban, but the Canadiens would be foolish to part with him. They already have a 3rd overall pick, they are not desperate to take Yakupov.

Toronto Maple Leafs - The only player that the Oilers should even be relatively interested in getting is Phaneuf, as he is the most ready to help them now. Schenn would not help them now, and neither would Gardiner. More importantly, the Leafs are more desperate for a centre, not a winger. They are already in place to draft a centre.

Ottawa Senators: This is no across the board. They were already seen as a rebuild team before this season, they will have no interest in giving up whatever assets it would take to get Yakupov.

Winnipeg Jets: This team is in absolutely no hurry to make the post-season. So trading from 9th overall to 1st is something they can afford to do. The Jets lost 52 man games to injury between Bogosian, Byfuglien, and Enstrom this year, and still managed to stay in the hunt until their collapse the last 10 games. Edmonton would want one of these players for their first overall. The Jets could acquire the 1st overall without giving up their 1st IF they were to trade either Bogosian or Byfuglien. However, I don't think that should be an option. A package of Enstrom and the Jets 9th overall pick might be enough to make it happen. The Oilers get a NHL ready defenseman with a terrific contract to boot, and they get a good enough draft pick to pick up a defensive prospect.

The name of the game is who can make an immediate impact with the Oilers now. Enstrom is a top pair d-man who is also a great leader.

Archived