The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chad Kroeger Of Nickleback Dead?

Burrows_Breath

Nickelback somehow un-does the contributions of all of those great bands; they are bad enough to make any music fan begin to hate music.

Now, before I keep ranting, it's important to note that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and different musical tastes are part of what makes the world so interesting. That being said, anyone who enjoys the music of Nickelback is a complete and utter dolt.

I first heard Nickelback's timeless hit "How You Remind Me," in high school, and I remember thinking...well, nothing. Nickelback music tends to numb thought. It was like Genesis, Bon Jovi, and Creed formed together and chose a frontman who looked like a bizzaro version of Kurt Cobain with a perm.

The first thing you'll notice when listening to a Nickelback song is that your ears have begun to bleed. That's because the singer of Nickelback, Chad Kroeger, sings like a horse would sing, if someone tried to teach a horse English but then gave up after the horse learned a few basic vowels and consonants.

"NEVERWHOWAAAASSSAAAAWAAAMAAAN", he exclaims, sounding as sincere as an insurance salesman. Every vowel is "a" or "o", and every rhyme is the first one-syllable word that appears in Webster's Rhyming Dictionary for 5th Grade Kids With ADD.

And if you're lucky enough to catch a glimpse of one of Nickelback's videos, you'll surely be impressed by the tight shirts and manicured Hollywood looks of everyone in the band. Come on, this is supposed to be a rock band?

Someone pointed out a few years ago that all Nickelback songs are the same, and yeah, they pretty much are. You can counter with, "Hey, Muddy Waters always used a basic I-IV-V progression, too," but let's get this straight: Nickelback isn't playing the blues, and they're not putting their souls into their power chords. They're a commercial band repackaging a commercial product under a slightly different circumstance in order to reap money--not artistic integrity or musical dexterity--from the same damned thing they've been doing for years.

I know that I'm not going to be able to convince every Nickelback fan of the band's supreme suckitude, but you know what? I can live with that.

I don't get it... I certainly don't like Nickeback's music, but I don't hate them at all.

There are thousands of terrible bands out there. Most don't get as famous as Nickleback, but if given the choice, of course they would all choose to become so. If I could make millions playing awful music, I'd do it too. Good for them that they found a way. Why should I hate them for it?

The fact that I've spent most of my adult life as a professional musician, toured all over Europe, North America and Asia, been signed to record and publishing deals, won a few Juno awards, sold a few platinum records and spent thousands of hours in the studio cements the idea in my head that you don't know what you're talking about. There's a big difference between being able to "play guitar" and pulling it off live or in studio at a decent level, let alone making it commercially viable and Kroeger's done that not only for his band but for other people as well.

The fact of the matter is, whether you like them or not, they are extremely good at what they do as indicated by the millions of records sold and the massive tours they've done. I haven't really liked most of Nickelback's stuff since Silver Side Up but I can appreciate what a good songwriter, producer, performer and businessman Chad is.

The hate for Nickelback has nothing to do with their lyrics, otherwise it would have been brought up more often and it's not.

Usually the only people that bring that up are pretentious snobby hipsters who are looking for something to hate.

I don't particularly like Nickelback, Coldplay, and other similar bands because all of their songs are the same tempo and strumming pattern. Once you've heard one of your songs, you've heard them all. Coldplay is excellent music to listen to as you go to bed becasue it instantly makes you sleepy. The only Nickelback songs I can listen to are 'Burn it to the Ground' and 'Saturday Night' (which they didn't even write) because they actually have energy. The reason they are still popular is because of a) marketing and B) "Nobody ever lost any money underestimating the taste of the North American public" .

Thier first album, Curb, is one of my favorites albums of all-time. They were hungry to make a name for themselves and it was reflected in the music of that album. But with increased radio play and loads of money that hunger to make good music was replaced by hunger to make more money. As a musician i have no respect for them and as a person, well I was hoping this thread was true. Sad, but when you make music that awful, people want you dead.

He's probably some session musician who played on a handful of records that won an award. It doesn't even matter who he is. If he admires the songwriting of Kroeger and the production techniques which are so glossy and over-the-top that they make Fleetwood Mac's production sound like Wu Tang, then it's safe to say his own brand of music is bad too

Archived