The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is This The End Of The Luongo Era?

luongo12345

Well given the toxic relationship we as the fans and luongo have, it's safe to say that there is a high probability that he will be gone. If you look at his contract, there are still many years left on it and given the circumstances and how we have treated him, why would he want to stay in vancouver? The only question I have is how long is it before we start bashing schneider and giving him the luongo treatment when things aren't going well?

If Gillis can move Luongo and his massive 12 year contract that only just began last year....a goalie that has consistently choked in big playoff games.....who has a tendency to get emotionally distracted to the point that it effects his play (ie. after letting in ONE suspect goal, may let in another within a few minutes because his head is still stewing about the previous one)....at 33 and seems to be in the decline....

even if he gets NOTHING in return other than the cap relief and maybe even has to include another player to sweeten the pot.....

......even so, he'd be one of the greatest GMs in the history of the NHL. Good luck to him.

No, he is not going anywhere. If he does, then our salary cap years will be screwed. 2nd he's locked down, he's an NTC, which means he cannot be traded UNLESS he asks to be traded. 3rd, if we do trade him to another team, then we would have to pay the rest of his years salary up front to the other team, which would leave us like not a lot of money, 4th, there needs to be a team WILLING to afford his 12 year contract. And 5th again, HE'S AN NTC!!!!!!!!!! MG would be an idiot again to screw up the salary cap and to trade him!!

No, he is not going anywhere. If he does, then our salary cap years will be screwed. 2nd he's locked down, he's an NTC, which means he cannot be traded UNLESS he asks to be traded. 3rd, if we do trade him to another team, then we would have to pay the rest of his years salary up front to the other team, which would leave us like not a lot of money, 4th, there needs to be a team WILLING to afford his 12 year contract. And 5th again, HE'S AN NTC!!!!!!!!!! MG would be an idiot again to screw up the salary cap and to trade him!!

NTCs mean nothing if a player wants out. All it really means is that the GM can't just call up and say "you've been traded." They will have a sit-down sometime in June, discuss the future direction of the team, and how Luongo may or may not fit into that plan. This will be done after Gillis has made a decision on the coaching situation.

I can see TB making a push for Luongo. Lecavalier also has a lengthy and expensive contract as does Malone, both players are considered as underachievers these days in Tampa.

One thing I'd like to point out...Luongo's 1st season here he came in at 27. If Schneider were to have his 1st season as a starter next season, he'd be 26.

He's entering his prime, and I think the best move to do now would be to make Schneider the starter. Remember, the pressure of playing in Vancouver didn't really get to Luongo his 1st season here. He was confident, brilliant...the only problem was the team in front of him wasn't really a playoff team.

The possibility of having another ultra-talented goaltender in their prime, but with an elite team in front of them is drool worthy. I think we might be seeing the start of the Schneider era in Vancouver, but I'll never forget how Luongo managed to thrust our team into the spotlight and into contention....don't be ungrateful, he single-handedly abolished the idea of Vancouver as a goalie graveyard.

If Gillis can move Luongo and his massive 12 year contract that only just began last year....a goalie that has consistently choked in big playoff games.....who has a tendency to get emotionally distracted to the point that it effects his play (ie. after letting in ONE suspect goal, may let in another within a few minutes because his head is still stewing about the previous one)....at 33 and seems to be in the decline....

even if he gets NOTHING in return other than the cap relief and maybe even has to include another player to sweeten the pot.....

......even so, he'd be one of the greatest GMs in the history of the NHL. Good luck to him.

It was a couple of good games by Schneider, and ones in which the whole team played better and gave him lots of help. How quickly people forget that Luo was actually very good in those first 2 games without any real help from his team, and sometimes with them actually getting in his way or falling on top of him. If it hadn't been for Luo those games, especially game 1, would have likely been blowouts like the Pitts/Philly game last night.

And how easily people forgive Schneider while holding a grudge, even an undeserved one, against Luo. Had Luo been in net in game 3 and had played the exact same way, people would have blamed him for the LA goal, calling it poor rebound control and said he lost us the series by letting in that one goal. And they would have blamed him for the sole LA goal in game 4 (though it didn't really matter) but seem to ignore the fact that Schneider probably should have had that one. If we can see that Schneider is awesome even though he makes a few mistakes (as all humans do), why can't we accept the same for Luo?

I don't know why they decided to start Schneider last night but I won't be surprised to see him back in net for the rest of this series. He is awesome and for whatever reason it's working with him in net right now and when everything is on the line, you don't tamper more than necessary. That being said, if we make it to the next round, hockey gods willing, I'd still expect to see Luo start.

I love Lu, but even he knows it.. just look in his eyes when he's on the bench.

Schneider was Vancouver's 1st round pick in '04, so they've been grooming him for this for 8 years.. that's too much effort to just trade all that talent away now.

I'd love to know what Lu said to Schneider at the end of game 4.. his glove was concealing it from the camera. I could see him saying "It's all yours bud, take it and run with it!".

I think "better" is a stretch. If people think we are just gonna switch Lou for Schneids and win the cup I think they are in for a rude awakening. I hope I am wrong and we come all the way back and go on to win the Cup but it just isn't realistic.

I know everyone has been saying that Luongo played great in games 1 and 2 bla bla. However if Schneider was in net for those games, I am certain he would have done just as well if not better. People keep on bailing out Luongo by saying that "it was a 5 on 3 PP so cut him some slack".....Bottom line it was a bad goal and Luongo seemingly lets in a puck between the legs every damn game. Schneider simply does not allow these cheap goals on a consistent basis.

While Luongo has been a good goaltender for many years, it's Schneider who can make the critical save to prevent an equalilzer or to prevent a 2 goal margin. With Luongo in a pressure game, there is always the dreaded goal between the legs or the potential of a mental breakdown after a bad goal. 1-0 Kings can become 2-0 and then 3-0 in a matter of minutes with Luongo. Schneider plays without the same pressure and the whole team plays more confident knowing that they won't be letdown at a crucial part of the game.

Schneider is the man and thank god it took this long for AV to realize it in the playoffs!!

For all the people still thinking about trading Luongo and any associated conversations, CapGeek tweeted this today:

Lots of questions about Roberto Luongo's NTC. He has a full NTC but it does have a few stipulations. #NHL #Canucks

Most pertinent Luongo NTC stipulation is that after final 2013-14 game, he can supply five-team trade list valid through July 15, 2014.

Note that's *trade list*, not *no-trade list* ...

Archived