The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Good Is Brett Connolly Actually?

With all the trade talk flying around, and Connolly name coming up often, I was wondering just how good the kid is. Could he be our Brayden Schenn? I saw Connolly at the U-18's and he looked pretty stellar but his stats this season aren't very good and was a -9 for the year. Is this just because of his linemates? and what line would Connolly play on if we SOMEHOW traded for him?

Guest The Brown Burrows

I think he is overrated here but he has the potential to be a good 2nd line player (60+ points/season if developed right).

I know draft position doesn't impact how good a player becomes, but its interesting to look at the players picked 6th overall....

A lot of players picked 6th overall tend to disappoint.

1995- Steve Kelly

1996- Boyd Devereaux

1997- Daniel Tkaczuk

1998- Rico Fata

1999- Brian Finley

2000- Scott Hartnell

2001- Mikko Koivu

2002- Scottie Upshall

2003- Milan Michalek

2004- Al Montoya

2005- Gilbert Brule

2006- Derick Brassard

2007- Sam Gagner

2008- Nikita Filatov

2009- Oliver Ekman Larsson

2010- Brett Connolly

Only a handful of 6th overalls in recent memory have shown to live up to the hype.

(Didn't bold Michalek as a stand out, but only because it was the 2003 draft and how many star players were picked after him)

Michalek still did well. Upshall played good 2-way and got lost in Columbus with zero team support from management through to the roster players. Same with Brassard and Filatov.

Gagner hasn't been a flop, 40 point seasons is solid on a bad team, and he has shown he has tremendous skill still and will continue to develop.

Montoya's shown brilliance but not consistently, but he's also on a horrible team.

I dunno, since Hartnell its pretty much only Brule, Brassard and Filatov who have been complete failures, with Montoya being an honourable mention. So 3/11 or 4/11 depending if you include him.

Michalek still did well. Upshall played good 2-way and got lost in Columbus with zero team support from management through to the roster players. Same with Brassard and Filatov.

Gagner hasn't been a flop, 40 point seasons is solid on a bad team, and he has shown he has tremendous skill still and will continue to develop.

Montoya's shown brilliance but not consistently, but he's also on a horrible team.

I dunno, since Hartnell its pretty much only Brule, Brassard and Filatov who have been complete failures, with Montoya being an honourable mention. So 3/11 or 4/11 depending if you include him.

Connolly has a natural goal scorer's touch that you can't teach. His skating is good enough to get thim there and his hockey IQ is high. He went through some pretty tough injuries (hip) but will only get stronger from here. He is also good with the puck. I'd consider him a legitimate second line winger in a year or two.

Connolly is a good player, i'd love to see another former PG Cougar in a Canucks jersey. He does have a bit of an ego and an attitude on him, and it really can go sour if he's struggling or losing, but he does have skill and a lot of potential. If we were to ever get him, who would we put him with?

Connolly is a good player, i'd love to see another former PG Cougar in a Canucks jersey. He does have a bit of an ego and an attitude on him, and it really can go sour if he's struggling or losing, but he does have skill and a lot of potential. If we were to ever get him, who would we put him with?

I know draft position doesn't impact how good a player becomes, but its interesting to look at the players picked 6th overall....

1995- Steve Kelly

1996- Boyd Devereaux

1997- Daniel Tkaczuk

1998- Rico Fata

1999- Brian Finley

2000- Scott Hartnell

2001- Mikko Koivu

2002- Scottie Upshall

2003- Milan Michalek

2004- Al Montoya

2005- Gilbert Brule

2006- Derick Brassard

2007- Sam Gagner

2008- Nikita Filatov

2010- Brett Connolly

Only a handful of 6th overalls in recent memory have shown to live up to the hype.

(Didn't bold Michalek as a stand out, but only because it was the 2003 draft and how many star players were picked after him)

With all the trade talk flying around, and Connolly name coming up often, I was wondering just how good the kid is. Could he be our Brayden Schenn? I saw Connolly at the U-18's and he looked pretty stellar but his stats this season aren't very good and was a -9 for the year. Is this just because of his linemates? and what line would Connolly play on if we SOMEHOW traded for him?

1995- Steve Kelly

1996- Boyd Devereaux

1997- Daniel Tkaczuk

1998- Rico Fata

1999- Brian Finley

2000- Scott Hartnell

2001- Mikko Koivu

2002- Scottie Upshall

2003- Milan Michalek

2004- Al Montoya

2005- Gilbert Brule

2006- Derick Brassard

2007- Sam Gagner

2008- Nikita Filatov

2010- Brett Connolly

Archived