The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Or Foligno If You Could Do It Over Again?

Italia2006

You seriously believe playing him on the wolves would increase his trade value and get us ''the best deal''? :picard:

The writing was on the wall, MG made it clear that Hodgsons agent was making the whole situation very difficult, MG saw a very good prospect that was even younger than Hodgson that could greatly help the future of this club available for trade and he pulled the trigger. Kassian could have been traded to another team if we had waited. There's no guarantee we could have gotten a better return in the off season. MG wanted a very good young player in return and he got it.

People need to realize MG isn't building this team for short term success, he wants this team to succeed for years n years to come. Most people who understand this are 100% on board with him.

No, they never learn. It's getting quite embarrassing with the lack of common sense on this board, and people in this city in general. They're treating Kassian as if he's a 30 year old career AHL'er. People were ready to trade Hodgson for a bag of pucks last year and now all the sudden we traded a superstar for 'a bum'?

It's almost too stupid to even reply to. Don't know why i bother. Maybe someone will be enlightened.

One other thing these kids don't get is that MG took a calculated gamble, for the short and long term, the immediate short term didn't work exactly as hoped. Ideally, he would have helped us this year, however there was no guarantee on that and it was an outcome that MG was ready to live with, and still is.

The short term help didn't pan out, now grow up and deal with it. That was a very small part of the deal.

What has Kassian shown that indicates he will be putting up 60 points in a season? let alone a "physical force"?

The sad thing is people on here were saying "wow he's exactly the type of player the Canucks need for the playoffs!!" yet he was more useless than Tanner Glass.

I couldn't of said it any better myself.People here keep trying to say he's only 20 years old and still young. That's great but that's not what the Canucks where looking for. We wanted young and able to be effective now and that's not what happened.

italia2006... go to your room.. get a towel and some lotion.. and hodgsons picture.. and enjoy..

HES GONE.

rather have kassian here;

and for all the people that claim hodgson is "CLUTCH" anybody can be a regular season goal scorer

please tell me what he did in the playoffs... yes the whole team shat the bed lsat year but what did this

clutch player do?

cody went to buffalo with top 6 minutes playing with better guys than he did here.. and produced jack..

he just looks good cause he played with the canucks... just like everybody did lsat year

Did Mike Gillis tell you exactly what the team ''where'' looking for? ''We wanted young and able to be effective now'' -- Are you all of the sudden part of the Canucks front office? With the writing abilityof a 9 year old i highly doubt it.

The Canucks made a deal which will help this team continue to be successful and not just be a team that will be good for 2 or 3 years and then drop down to the bottom of the league like so many other teams.

Would you rather the Canucks be consistently good for decades and have a chance to win the cup every year by making the playoffs?

Or would you rather they trade for older players to be good for a few years with no guarantee of winning the cup? Then watch the team plummet to the bottom of the standings because they traded all our young players for older veterans that will retire in a couple years. Then we can watch our team fail like the Leafs, Flames and Canadiens of the league.

How fun? Then maybe we can sit through a long grueling rebuild which again, has no guarantee of success. See the Oilers.

What Mike Gillis is doing gives us the best chance to win the cup by being competitive in the playoffs year after year after year. Get that through your head and stop pretending like you know exactly what the Canucks need and what they're thinking.

I prefer Kassian over Foligno because of the potential Kassian has to develop into a key power forward for the Canucks. I am still trying to understand the reasoning behind this claim that Hodgons is going to be a 'star' in the NHL. Says who? He had one good season with one of the best teams in the NHL. How did he do in Buffalo? Three goals and a couple assists? That's on the second line with plenty of ice time. Clearly this is not evidence that Hodgson is going to be a 'star.'

CHL player of the year in Jr.23 game pt streak in Jr.Leading scorer in the World Jrs. on a team that included Tavares and Eberlenamed to NHL all-star game as a rookie19 goals in his first NHL season, playing mostly on the 3rd lineI think there is some evidence that he could very well be a star.

Don't insult my writting. Just because you don't agree with what I wrote.The Canucks are not in rebuilding mode smart ass. They're trying to win now and add some young guys than can help now.I don't see any of thos attributes in Kassian. We could of packaged Hodgson and Luongo or Schnieder and had a higher return such as a young star not a young project like Kassian.

He was given an opportunity to play more minutes but did nothing and we couldn't afford to have him play more than that. When he played he didn't deserve to play more minutes. He barely deserved to be on the 4th line.

Don't insult my writting. Just because you don't agree with what I wrote.The Canucks are not in rebuilding mode smart ass. They're trying to win now and add some young guys than can help now.I don't see any of thos attributes in Kassian. We could of packaged Hodgson and Luongo or Schnieder and had a higher return such as a young star not a young project like Kassian.

Inevitably, "Kassian or Foligno" became "Hodgson or Kassian" again... :picard:

It's not like Zack won't make it for sure, nor is Cody = Trevor Linden 2.0 for sure. Foligno emerged this season, but Kass was the #1 prospect before coming and it would've cost Cody, who has shown that he can play here. Regier would've wanted to get the best option for Zack, and it would've taken an over payment since it was at the deadline.

What people need to realize is that they're fittingly called "prospects" for the reason that prospectively (in the FUTURE) their careers will go into full bloom, and they need to have development time. Potential (n. Having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future) needs to be nurtured and developed. In other words, it's too early to judge!

Zack or Marcus, both being power forwards, also give the team the missing element of strength and size/ nastiness that this team's management deemed was necessary. Cody, while a multifaceted offensive talent, didn't provide the size and strength, and his attitude was part of the reason management felt it was time to drive him out to the airport. Of course, it would've been nice IMO to get someone further along in their progress than Zack who played the power game (or I would've taken Cody for Brayden Schenn), but again, Zack's still young. Let him develop.

What happened to all the sutters, Stalls, Schenns, Koivu. We could both go on and on. The fact is both Foligno brothers are playing in the nhl and there is a reason why we got Kassian and not Foligno. Buffalo saw more value in Foligno.

Because Gillis believed that we already had a strong enough team because it was basically the same team that went to the finals the previous year.

Kassian was never expected to be a impact player, he was only expected to be a role player.

None of that mattered though since our core players didn't show up.

Hodgson did seem to have a knack for big goals, but then time passed, and it became evident that for every big goal he had, there was long stretches of 5-20 games where he didn't get a goal at all.

The guy had a tremendous showing at the juniors, and he really did stand among some great young players.. but they are all far better than he is now. And honestly, with how big of gaps Hodgson started to go without points.. it was hard to see him having that same potential to do a lot more.

Kassian might not have done as much, but there were games where he took over, and physically did very, very well. So you could see that potential for him to do a lot and be a great player. Where as Hodgson it just.. wasn't there. Maybe it will be one day, but honestly I think he got massively overrated for a few goals against big teams that were starting to struggle. That sexy goal against Boston seemed to make people love him, even when he went 20 games without a goal after that before he got traded.

Archived