The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Higgins' Role Next Season

ButterBean

He was arguably our most consistent forward all year and provided us with key goals when our offense ran dry during a big chunk of the season. He has shown versatility but in your opinion where does he belong in our lineup? I'm gonna think of something that hasn't really been brought up yet but what would you think of him as our 3rd line center?

Manny's game has gotten worse. He hasn't been the defensive stud we've been used to before the injury and he'd be a good fit for our 4th line. It looks like we're gonna let go of Pahlsson as well. He brought us a good defensive game along the boards but he isn't that good offensively and there wasn't much else about his game that really stood out. Then there's Lapierre, 3rd line potential but yet again not good enough offensively and more suited to hold our 4th line together.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Higgins has played center in the past with his former teams so he won't be completely unfamiliar with the position. He brings most qualities you'd look for in a 3rd line C as well. Sound defensively, good speed, good forecheck, hard worker, and can put up 30+ points. Only concern might be faceoffs but it's definitely something that can be worked on. Then his 3rd line wing position is freed up for Zack Kassian. With Kassian on our 3rd line we can finally replace that physical presence we've been lacking since Torres left. Hansen - Higgins - Kassian.

Thoughts?

That's not a bad idea, definitely worth a shot. Only problem is, who plays on the 2nd line? I would say for this idea to work we need to bring in another Top 6 forward (which is a good idea as well, because Raymond probably won't cut it) to play with Kesler and Booth.

Higgins is one member of the team who seems capable of filling in pretty near anywhere. Depending on what happens in the off season with free agency or trades, giving him a few games at center in October might work out well. He is versatile enough to pull it off.

It's hard not to like Higgins!

He comes to camp with the Sedin's cardio & a Booth or Kesler upper body. I am mentioning, because it gives him the type of motor he can shift gears with proposals like this. Yes he could play center, and I understand why you ask. But ultimately I agree with Opmac. He is best on the boards.

But, I could see it as a way of holding the fort. Let him and Schroeder fight for the 3rd line center position at camp. If he wins, let him keep it till Kess is back. If Schroeder does, its a win for all of us, and we know he'll go back along the boards just fine!

Archived