The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ex-Canucks Krutov Passes Away

Provost

I recall hearing an interview with Jim Sandlak a year or so after Krutov and Larionov arrived in Vancouver. Sandlak and Stan Smyl were the unofficial welcoming committee. So they go over to the place Vald and Igor were sharing and are offered a beer. So they accept and are handed the warmest beer ever. Apparently for some reason they kept their beer behind the fridge beside the motor instead of inside the fridge. Smyl and Sandlak just had to be gracious and drink it.

When Krutov and Larionov's wives arrived to join them. Stan Smyl and his wife took them grocery shopping. Larionov's wife filled the entire grocery cart with meat. The Smyl's were a little confused. Apparently coming from Russia, Mrs Larionov couldn't comprehend that the entire selection of meat would be there the next time they came shopping and every time after that.

RIP Vlad

When he first came to Vancouver, he discovered hot dogs, which I guess weren't available in Russia. He ate several at each sitting, so much so that he was said to have inhaled them. Hence, Vlad the Inhaler, which is a play on the real Count Dracula, Vlaldimir Tepes, who was known as Vlad the Impaler because he liked killing people by impaling them on sharp metal spikes.

I remember when Krutov and Larionov came to town. I was actually at the first game they played here in the colliseum. The crowd was electric with the thought they were the saviours. I clearly remember the crowd chanting Igor Igor.

RIP Vlad.

Sad Day for hockey. LW portion of one of the most prolific hockey lines ever ( KLM ). Krutov, Larionov, Makarov a trio that was feared by all opposing nations.

Of the three Krutov had the hardest time adjusting to the NHL but in his prime years was widely considered the Russian Mark Messier.

RIP Vladimir Krutov

I recall hearing an interview with Jim Sandlak a year or so after Krutov and Larionov arrived in Vancouver. Sandlak and Stan Smyl were the unofficial welcoming committee. So they go over to the place Vald and Igor were sharing and are offered a beer. So they accept and are handed the warmest beer ever. Apparently for some reason they kept their beer behind the fridge beside the motor instead of inside the fridge. Smyl and Sandlak just had to be gracious and drink it.

When Krutov and Larionov's wives arrived to join them. Stan Smyl and his wife took them grocery shopping. Larionov's wife filled the entire grocery cart with meat. The Smyl's were a little confused. Apparently coming from Russia, Mrs Larionov couldn't comprehend that the entire selection of meat would be there the next time they came shopping and every time after that.

RIP Vlad

We never forget Vladimir krutov' one season in Vancouver Canucks . He gave us his great 11 goals and tremendous 23 Assist . One of the best Russian player in a nucks history . He was such a great person his personal life . He was an great and cool mind player .

I'm jus shocked :(

R.I.P krutov

Archived