The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cup Loss making Gillis do things he shouldnt

hockey21383

I understand your logic here OP but you are missing something. Sure we made it to game 7 of the finals against boston but why do you think we lost. we lost because we were all banged up and injured. If we had a more rugged team we could have standed the test of time in that playoff run. Also the duncan keith run on Daniel.....do you think he would have done that if the hawks were playing boston on that night???? If i were a canuck i would find it a little demoralizing that virtually nothing was done about that. better to have a brawl and have five of our guys suspended than put up with that. if 3 hawks limped of the ice with blood coming out of there mouth then other teams would not do that to us. I dont condone being goons but i do condone sticking up for your team when a situation like that presents itself. Having a few tougher players who can really lay out the body can make all the difference. Dustin brown layed out henrik pretty good in the playoffs for example. its that type of hit that keeps momentum going your way and makes players like the sedins get away from there game

its is imperitive that we develope a guy like kassian into a good player because he is exactly what we need.

Actually you are 100% wrong. The Canucks actually have a skills coach, so they obviously feel skill can be taught and/or developed. What you CAN'T teach is size. But that's OK...you sit there and fantasize all you want about the Jordan Schroeders of the world and all their fabulous skill. Of course in a fantasy will be the only place you see it, because it ain't happening in the NHL anymore.

Guest gumballthechewy

Here is exactly why CDC and Canucks Talk have gone to crap. Congrats on adding to the discussion, and pointing out a typo. Back to HFBoards I go, get some decent talk there at least.

For the record, I wait and see, I don't just jump the gun like some people.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that despite the fact they have no prospects from the last four years in the NHL, management does in fact know what they're doing. Doing what they have done over the last 20 years isn't a fluke and drafting obviously has to do with that.

But the fact of the matter is there are no recent Canucks prospects playing for this team. The Canucks prospect pool is one of the weakest in the league and there's a ton of pressure on Gillis and co. to improve that. There's little room for error so I hope they have the utmost confidence in their decisions. The last Canucks pick to have played for this team on a regular basis, and to stick with this team is Raymond, which was a whopping seven seasons ago. (Or Kassian, I guess, considering we got him for you know who, who was also a regular). Or look at it this way, the last defensive prospect drafted by this team to play for this team as a regular was Edler, 8 years ago. Can we actually say with confidence that any of Gillis' earliest picks will actually make the NHL as regulars? Schroeder, Sauve, Connauton, Rodin: solid players in the AHL but the jury is still out on those guys by a long shot.

Point is: some sloppy drafting by Nonis and co. prior to Gillis' arrival is hurting this team now in a way. Gillis' and his team need to make sure that some of these guys really start to show in the next couple seasons otherwise we're going to be in trouble. We can't just rely on this team we have now, forever, obviously. As someone suggested, perhaps the drafting of late bloomers is an attempt to hopefully get some young reinforcements into the NHL sooner rather than later.

There was a similar topic to this on HF boards, and I though id bring it here.

Basically since losing to Boston in the cup Finals the Canucks have been drafting big and tough guys time after time this year and last years draft. Its stupid. We were one of the best teams and still are for now, because we had so much skill and that got us to the Cup Final. Gillis is so bent on changing the make-up of the team, and it's really unnecessary. There are so many players that the Canucks could've gotten in this years draft and last but he was so concerned that he must draft someone is atleast 6'2 200. It's stupid

Basically since losing to Boston in the cup Finals the Canucks have been drafting big and tough guys time after time this year and last years draft. Its stupid. We were one of the best teams and still are for now, because we had so much skill and that got us to the Cup Final. Gillis is so bent on changing the make-up of the team, and it's really unnecessary. There are so many players that the Canucks could've gotten in this years draft and last but he was so concerned that he must draft someone is atleast 6'2 200. It's stupid

YEah, am really starting to question Gillis when it comes to drafting. We need to draft skilled players now more than ever. After the Sedins leave, we might as well be a last place team. Who has the potential to replace the Sedins?? It seems the team will be filled with 6'2 grinders in the future like the Flames.

Nonis made some sloppy picks, Grabner, Rahimi, Ellington, White...

He also traded a lot of picks while sitting in 9th place working the theory "If you just get in... you never know"

LA winning the cup is the first time ever a seed that low has won, so get ready to hear a lot more of that theory. bla.

The problem with Gillis is the same as Nonis and Burke before him, that ALL of the picks take too long to mature.

As as someone said in another thread, by the time the WCE was done the Sedins were ready...

that is not the solution it is the problem, if the Sedins were 1st line players 5 years after their draft the Canucks have the WCE and Sedins in 2004. But no the Sedins took 9 years to dominate and the WCE was long gone. Compare that to Anahiem, Pittsburg, Chicago or LA.

I cannot remember if it was Wienrich, Sean Brown, Wienrich's buddy ( the one that looked like Bertuzzi, can never rememberhis name) or the goalie from Buffalo, one of those guys cost us the pick that could have been Lucic.

If it happened once it would not be a big deal, but it is a pattern through several regiems.

Which is why Schroeder is doing so well with the Canucks. MG must be thinking that all those injured players that caused us to lose against Boston - Daniel, Ehrhoff, Edler, Kesler, Raymond, Hamhuis, etc, etc, was because our skilled guys had too many big helpers to do the heavy lifting against Boston. Our skill, of course, also prevailed over a big, ohysical LA team, and three years ago against that puny Chicago team.

Sure wouldn't want MG to learn from history.

Ok people do not get it, first 2 rounds you take the best player available. after that you draft by organizational needs, size is one of those needs. Not every player is going to be projected for top 6, especially when your drafting as late as we are. So if you want to find a gem in the late ronunds they have to have size, cause if they had raw talent they would have been picked by then. I like thier direction the Canucks are going in. What we need is to trade for some high picks from other teams since we pick late always.

Archived