The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Nashville Move Weber if Suter Leaves?

Peter Gunn

I think Poile should take note of the BS that is going on with regards to Luongo and Nash right now and think seriously about moving Weber before the situation blows up in his face.

Clearly Weber doesn't want to make a long term commitment to the Preds, and that's not likely to change now that Suter is gone.

If he's smart, and when it comes to managing a hockey team, Poile is about as smart as they come, he'll get this resolved sooner rather than later. I expect Weber to be moved this summer, and I think it will come down to Vancouver, Edmonton and Philadelphia (although you could scratch Philly should they decide to pull their heads out of their arses and pony up fair return for Rick Nash).

The idea of getting Weber is intriguing. There are some players that just want to cash in when they sign their contracts. Do you honestly believe that Wideman signed in Calgary for a chance at winning the cup? No, he signed for the money obviously. Some players though want to go to a cup contender but they also realize that most cup contenders have a lot less cap room to work with. If Weber is motivated by being on a team that has a really good chance of winning the cup, he would probably demand a reasonable salary. A reasonable salary for Weber is around 7 million per. It would be difficult for a cup contender to pay one player 10 million (unless that team has alot of cheap young superstars still on ELC's). Now I'm not saying that Nashville would do this but Edler, first rounder, and a prospect would be fair for Webers RFA rights. It wouldn't be out of the question that Weber would accept a 5 year $35 million contract just to be on a contender. After the contract expires, he still has a few good years left in him for a home run deal (hopefully by that time we would have a cup under our belts).

I'm a believer that defense wins championships and Weber combined with what we already have, may be the piece that puts us over the top.

I don't think they have much of a choice. There is no way Weber wants to stay in Nashville now with their early playoff exit and one of their biggest stars leaving for nothing. Not to mention all the draft picks they lost after trying to make a push this season.

If we could land Weber it would be amazing but I really don't know if we can pull it off. It would probably take Ballard + Raymond + 1st + 2nd + another defenseman or top 9 forward. Not to mention the massive cap hit we'd have to deal with.

Then again, I think Gillis asking for a similar price (except slightly less) for Luongo at that's why there's been no Luongo trade.

Most of the above mentioned Mike Gillis has known for a long time. I'm sure Gillis , Gillman and their pencil pushers have long sat around a table and talked about what it would take to get Weber. Saying we can forget about getting Weber I think is far from the truth. I believe the Canucks have looked long and hard at attaining Weber.

Saying Gillis won't sign Weber to long term big bucks is wrong too. Wasn't it Gillis that signed Luongo long term? I might add the whole picture on Luongo's long term deal isn't that great but Gillis seemingly is working his way out of that too.

Right now Nashville is the team baking. They have first say on Weber and every one has to wait that out. Things change daily in the NHL. The player landscape could be a lot different in 6 months or by the trade dead line.

It's my opinion that giving a 100+ million contract to Weber would be a bad mistake. (The old proverb is 'be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it'.)

- I've always believed in building a team from within.

1. If Weber comes here as a free agent, Nashville gets nothing.

2. No team is going to offer up their top prospects for Shea Weber if Weber is only going to stay for 1 year.

3. It's a risk in offering Edler for Weber as well, but as I said it comes down to whether or not Gillis wants to make what I would call his signature deal to obtain arguably the best D man in hockey.

4. And to everyone else, because teams will only be offered Weber for 1 year until he becomes an UFA, Nashville is NOT going to get equal value for him.

GOT IT!!!

I think Weber will get a life contract in Nashville.

Ellis and Roman Josi are going to be stars in this league, Jon Blum is a solid offensive d-man. Kevin Kline had his coming out party in the playoffs. Hal Gill will step onto the top pairing. Even though Suter is so good, Nashville is a pipeline for good dmen, they'll be a good team still.

I think Weber will get a life contract in Nashville.

Ellis and Roman Josi are going to be stars in this league, Jon Blum is a solid offensive d-man. Kevin Kline had his coming out party in the playoffs. Hal Gill will step onto the top pairing. Even though Suter is so good, Nashville is a pipeline for good dmen, they'll be a good team still.

Archived