The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Nashville Move Weber if Suter Leaves?

Peter Gunn

So.....

Nashville lost Hamhuis and got hardly anything in return, they're on the verge of losing Suter and getting nothing in return, who's next?

Hate to further annoy you about the Weber situation in Nashville, but I would suggest that if Suter leaves and if Weber makes it clear he wants to be traded then I think it would be wise for the Preds to oblige him and get something of value in return while they can.

All things considered, I think Weber to Vancouver - Edler to Nashville would be appropriate because the longer Nashville waits, the less they're going to get.

Sure it's a risk, but signature deals usually are, but the money's there, Weber would be going to an organization that's all about winning, the Canucks are a serious contender for the cup, he is after all a BC guy (though according to recent events that could go either way) and you've got 1 year to sign him long term.

or wait another year, and hope to sign Weber as an UFA which then of course means you may not have enough money to re-sign Alex Edler.

July 3, 2012 - THE TENNESSEAN

Shea Weber's future with Nashville Predators may depend on Ryan Suter

Suter's contract will affect teammate's

"There is the possibility the Predators could trade Weber before facing a similar situation next summer to what they are going through with Suter, though parting ways with a captain would send a tough signal to Nashville’s fan base.

Either way, Suter’s decision will clearly affect more than just one elite defenseman on the Predators’ roster."

Josh Cooper - 'The Tennessean'

NOTE: Please, no salary dump trades to get Weber. In all probability Nashville will want an affordable top D man, and not Mason Raymond, Keith Ballard and a 3rd round pick (conditional of course) nor as recently suggested by the Edmonton media one of the fab 4 minus RNH from the Oilers.

With or without Suter.

Nash is a Stanley Cup contender with Tons of cap room.

They will do everything to keep Weber, they will throw the max at him.

Weber to Van is wishful thinking at best, we are one of the teams they need to concur to reach the Finals.

Would you trade the Sedins to LA?

That is how big Weber is to Nash, he puts people in the building.

If Weber decides become a UFA then we have a good chance, but don't count on it.

Look what Schultz did.

I believe it will be clear to Nashville what webers intentions are before the deadline. With suter or without, they still have a good team and with rinne in net they have a solid chance to overperform. If they're sitting around the top of the league, weber might be willing to stay. If he makes it clear he's going to ufa it's in they're best interest to trade him obviously.

I don't see them trading to us however, as we would be the powerhouse to get past every year and would not be willing to sell the farm to get him.. They're going to want more than edler because how long will he stay in Nash?. My guess is they are going to ask for top young players that they have a few years to get them to love country music and cowboy hats..

Even if we do trade all our best prospects for him, we will have 2-3 years to win the cup(if he resigns) and then we're trading weber kesler burrows ect and going full rebuild once our core slows down. Our prospects would start outperforming our vets too early, as the vets would be slowing down and we'd be injecting 19yr olds in the line up and possibly ruining a few.

Basically trading for him is not happening without ruining everything gillis has built in the last 5 years, therefore he will not do it.. Other teams that can afford to or are willing to take the risk, would outbid us and he would most likely end up out east.

If he wants to come home he will as a free agent. If he resigns in Nashville then he never wanted to leave in the first place.

If he signs with another team that trades for his rights, that doesn't mean he was going to sign with us if we traded for his rights. He's from sycamous, he's been to Vancouver a million times and seen how awesome it is.

So.....

Nashville lost Hamhuis and got hardly anything in return, they're on the verge of losing Suter and getting nothing in return, who's next?

Hate to further annoy you about the Weber situation in Nashville, but I would suggest that if Suter leaves and if Weber makes it clear he wants to be traded then I think it would be wise for the Preds to oblige him and get something of value in return while they can.

All things considered, I think Weber to Vancouver - Edler to Nashville would be appropriate because the longer Nashville waits, the less they're going to get.

Sure it's a risk, but signature deals usually are, but the money's there, Weber would be going to an organization that's all about winning, the Canucks are a serious contender for the cup, he is after all a BC guy (though according to recent events that could go either way) and you've got 1 year to sign him long term.

or wait another year, and hope to sign Weber as an UFA which then of course means you may not have enough money to re-sign Alex Edler.

July 3, 2012 - THE TENNESSEAN

Shea Weber's future with Nashville Predators may depend on Ryan Suter

Suter's contract will affect teammate's

"There is the possibility the Predators could trade Weber before facing a similar situation next summer to what they are going through with Suter, though parting ways with a captain would send a tough signal to Nashville’s fan base.

Either way, Suter’s decision will clearly affect more than just one elite defenseman on the Predators’ roster."

Josh Cooper - 'The Tennessean'

NOTE: Please, no salary dump trades to get Weber. In all probability Nashville will want an affordable top D man, and not Mason Raymond, Keith Ballard and a 3rd round pick (conditional of course) nor as recently suggested by the Edmonton media one of the fab 4 minus RNH from the Oilers.

In the end, it's all up to Weber. What he wants to do is all up to him. If he doesn't want to be in Nashville, he'll either request a trade or sign an offer sheet (probably one year to ensure Nashville doesn't get him long term). If he doesn't see what he wants, he'll look for a one year deal and go to free agency next year or become a rental player at the deadline next year.

If Nashville loses Suter they can cope. Anyone can play with Weber and become a legend, and Nashville churns out more solid defensive prospects than anyone in the NHL.

However, if they lose both Suter and Weber this is their defence:

Gill - Ellis

Klein - Josi

Blum - ???

They have 6 NHL defencemen right now as it is, and surely they'll sign Carle, Kubina or Roszival etc. if they lose Suter. The drop off in quality is the problem.

People say wait for next year and get Weber for free, but this prospect is making me nauseous. I think we should try and acquire Weber now. Give up Eddy and some other parts/ prospects/ picks and make it happen. Resigning Edler could be a potential headache and even tho Shea will still command a lot of money to resign here long term we probably could make it happen at a more reasonable rate than if ufa period was to hit. Garrison Weber on the PP would be the missing pieces to our man advantage which has struggled gaining the zone and taking good shots.

If Nashville loses Suter they can cope. Anyone can play with Weber and become a legend, and Nashville churns out more solid defensive prospects than anyone in the NHL.

However, if they lose both Suter and Weber this is their defence:

Gill - Ellis

Klein - Josi

Blum - ???

They have 6 NHL defencemen right now as it is, and surely they'll sign Carle, Kubina or Roszival etc. if they lose Suter. The drop off in quality is the problem.

If Suter leaves I suspect Weber goes as well. They have seen it all in Nashville as previous teammates have gone becuase of money and because hockey isn't the same in the south. I agree that the Preds situation has improved but the fiasco surrounding Radulov and Kostyshen(?) couldn't have helped. No team is acquiring Weber without a committment to a contract extension. If he in fact wants to come to Van then he can pretty much dictate that happening. Weber telling the Preds he won't resign is a trigger for a roster retuning. Taking Edler back is making the best of a bad situation. Moving him before free agency is almost a must or they risk getting little in return if Van is his desired location.

In the end the Weber situation could be all about personalities and friendships. Who is to say that signing Weber doesn't give the acquiring team a real shot at getting Weber as well. How close are Hamhuis and Weber? Salmon Arm and Smithers? Preds are destined for the Eastern Conference and the Canucks the Pacific Division. Canucks are financially secure whereas more than half the NHL teams are losing money.

I believe it will be clear to Nashville what webers intentions are before the deadline. With suter or without, they still have a good team and with rinne in net they have a solid chance to overperform. If they're sitting around the top of the league, weber might be willing to stay. If he makes it clear he's going to ufa it's in they're best interest to trade him obviously.

I don't see them trading to us however, as we would be the powerhouse to get past every year and would not be willing to sell the farm to get him.. They're going to want more than edler because how long will he stay in Nash?. My guess is they are going to ask for top young players that they have a few years to get them to love country music and cowboy hats..

Even if we do trade all our best prospects for him, we will have 2-3 years to win the cup(if he resigns) and then we're trading weber kesler burrows ect and going full rebuild once our core slows down. Our prospects would start outperforming our vets too early, as the vets would be slowing down and we'd be injecting 19yr olds in the line up and possibly ruining a few.

Basically trading for him is not happening without ruining everything gillis has built in the last 5 years, therefore he will not do it.. Other teams that can afford to or are willing to take the risk, would outbid us and he would most likely end up out east.

If he wants to come home he will as a free agent. If he resigns in Nashville then he never wanted to leave in the first place.

If he signs with another team that trades for his rights, that doesn't mean he was going to sign with us if we traded for his rights. He's from sycamous, he's been to Vancouver a million times and seen how awesome it is.

Just like the housing market the bubble will burst. At least Gillis will protect us from the sky rocketing salaries. Look at Gomez and Drury contract. Did that help the Rangers? You can't expect to pay 100 million to a player and expect miracles for 10 years. Look, we actually have one of the best defensive groups in the NHL if they can stay healthy. We also have room under the cap to get a few players if needed. Why burst the bubble with one player?

Archived