The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons why I'll miss Roberto Luongo

Tom Sestito

Because he's a hustler.

He's a guaranteed 30 wins basically.

Because he let us get our team to where we are now. He stabilized us.

He always played so hard.

He got us to the finals.

He was one game away from a cup, with 2 shut outs.

He's funnier than everyone thinks.

If Schnieds is actually better, he's giving us the choice.

Took over for Broduer, and helped Canada get the gold.

Don't leave us to have two (generally) unproven goalies.

Ahhh, I see what you've done here. Bravo sir, very amusing because it's true.

On another note, I've seen many posts here about how Luongo is this franchise's best goalie ever, that very well might be true but I would lean more toward Kirk Mclean. No doubt however that Luongo has been right up there and played a lot of amazing games for the Canucks. The thing is, when you try and claim the title of best goalie in franchise history on a team with a long long history of crap goaltending, how much does that really mean?

Because he's a hustler.

He's a guaranteed 30 wins basically.

Because he let us get our team to where we are now. He stabilized us.

He always played so hard.

He got us to the finals.

He was one game away from a cup, with 2 shut outs.

He's funnier than everyone thinks.

If Schnieds is actually better, he's giving us the choice.

Took over for Broduer, and helped Canada get the gold.

Don't leave us to have two (generally) unproven goalies.

You did a pretty decent job of masking your cynical comments as back-handed compliments in your first several paragraphs but then you got lazy.

There's about 26,842 Luongo hater threads so go hang out there. Don't hijack a thread of people who wish to step back and look at Luongo and his total body of work objectively and show appreciation for the great goalie he has been for us... let alone on the 2nd damn post! It is precisely people like you who IMO have driven Luongo out of this town and levied such incredibly unrealistic and unfair expectations and criticisms on him that it adversely affected his game under such a burden. So if you have any finger-pointing to do about his shortcomings then you can first start by pointing your digits at yourself and your other like-minded "fans" (puh!) because you 1) brought a lot of it to bear upon him and 2) have completely lost the ability to look at him objectively.

In the end, the day that Luongo leaves (if that does come) may be the day Canuck fans look back on as a terrible turning point in this team's future as we instead chose to pin all our hopes on a relatively inexperienced, unproven backup who may or may not become as good as Luongo already is. If for whatever reason Schnieder can not keep up the same brilliance and consistency we've seen him display as a backup for 2 years then what will we have? I'll tell you what we won't have. A proven Vezna nominated, world-class #1 goalie who has proven himself capable of not only great regular season success year after year with back-to-back President's Trophies but also backstopped a team to within 1 win of the Stanley Cup Championship.

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

I agree and I gave you a +1 for your opinion.

Noticed your 1st sentence was deleted along with my response disagreeing to the same long winded, double entendre post.....apparently one is not allowed to post a pic of a person talking out of two sides of their mouth? While reading through some of these threads on CDC, I wonder why some posts/pics are axed but others are allowed to stand as is.....Scratch-Head.gif

Thank you Luongo for reminding us of how crappy the fans are in Vancouver and how nothing will ever meet up to their ridiculous standards. Also thank you for reminding us of how short-sighted our fans are and how any goalie that ever becomes a starter in this franchise must win a Stanley Cup in three years or the fans will cry and moan demanding a trade and criticize every little detail while ignoring any good you do. Thank you for taking us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and instead of being honored for it, you are continually put down for not winning it all yourself.

It is time you moved on from this ungrateful fan base but thanks for the memories.

• 5 months later...

Until recently, and more or less today, I still err for keeping Luongo. After all, he established his place in Vancouver from his first playoff appearance, and then immortalized it when he helped lead team Canada to Olympic gold on Canuck ice. But since he wants out of Vancouver and for all it's worth, has had personal issues affecting his game, it's probably best to move him. My only request is that Canucks receive maximum dollar for this trade.

When this team was above average Luo was spectacular.

When this team became very good Luo had his groin history plaguing him.

Luo was a great player for this franchise.

I will miss his humor and emotions and those games he seemed to be near perfect.

Archived