The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Higgins

Chris_Higgins20

Chris Higgins was arguably one of the most consistent forwards on the Canucks last year. Despite the nagging staph infection on his hands he managed to finish last season with 18G, and 25A in 71 games. With the departure of Samme Pahlsson on the third line, and Kesler out till maybe December, do you think Chris can fill the 2nd line C position? Or leave him on the third line. Being extremely versatile, Higgins can play a number of positions and roles on the team, such as: Shutdown winger on the 3rd line, Playmaker/sniper LW on the 2nd line, or a playmaking C as he did in Montreal. In your opinion where would you like him to play and with who?

My lineup

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler/Schoreder-Booth

Kassian-Malhotra-Hansen

Weise-Lappiere-Pinizzotto

IMO he has great chemistry with Kesler because they are both gritty, hard working, and have the ability to finish. They don't ride on their linemates' coattails *throws angry look at Raymond*

They really complement each other well and I'd like to see him stick on the 2nd line for at least half a season.

i'll think they keep higgins as a producer on the 3rd line, give a guy like shroeder a chance to fill-in for kesler (expect that to be a revolving door at some point next season), and maybe one more shot for raymond on a top 6.. without chemistry with schroeder i really don't see where he fits on the team... but if the 2nd line falters, i see higgins back there once our lineups healthy.

but personally - if we don't add anyone (by anyone i mean doan) i think the 2nd line should stay higgins-kesler-booth.. higgins was solid all season, reminds me of burrows how he plays hard every game, so i really see him being our best option once keslers healthy.

I've been thinking about this too. Higgins has just about all the traits that you look for in a good shutdown centerman, with the exception of faceoffs maybe. If Schroeder isn't NHL-ready and we have no other options, I'd like to see Higgins center the 2nd line when Kesler's out. Best case scenario, he plays well there, and once Kesler is back, we can send Higgins down to center our 3rd line. That way we can free up a 3rd line winger spot for Kassian(if he proves he's ready), and I have a feeling a line of Hansen - Higgins - Kassian would be a sick shutdown/energy line.

Something like this would be nice:

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - Higgins - Kassian

Malhotra - Lapierre - Volpatti

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev/Alberts

Higgy will do well anywhere he is placed. Talented, hard-working guy that is all heart. I think he would do better than Shroeder as 2nd line center until Kes gets back. I'm not sure about Shroeder as the 3rd line center, but I think he needs to have a chance; probably on the 2nd. I am hoping for Doan and then a 3rd line of Higgy, Laps and Hanson.

Higgins is great, because as you said, he can slot up and down the lineup and be effective in a variety of roles.

That being said, ideally Higgins will play third line LW because that means we have better options for the second line. I also think Higgins has better chemistry with Kesler than Booth does, but the problem is Booth is a top 6 winger or bust. Higgins can play anywhere and have chemistry with anyone. Higgy was great with Hansen and Lapierre previously as well, and with Manny 2 years prior as well.

Higgy will most likely get slotted up and down the lineup to patch up holes left by injuries. If we don't land Doan, MG will need to add another top 6 forward for this team to really contend, because as good as Higgy is, having him as a permanent fixture on the second line means we're sorely lacking in depth.

Chris Higgins was arguably one of the most consistent forwards on the Canucks last year. Despite the nagging staph infection on his hands he managed to finish last season with 18G, and 25A in 71 games. With the departure of Samme Pahlsson on the third line, and Kesler out till maybe December, do you think Chris can fill the 2nd line C position? Or leave him on the third line. Being extremely versatile, Higgins can play a number of positions and roles on the team, such as: Shutdown winger on the 3rd line, Playmaker/sniper LW on the 2nd line, or a playmaking C as he did in Montreal. In your opinion where would you like him to play and with who?

My lineup

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler/Schoreder-Booth

Kassian-Malhotra-Hansen

Weise-Lappiere-Pinizzotto

I like Higgins on the second OR third simply because his work ethic and skating make him such a superior checking line player. Simply put he is the epitome of a thrid line shut down player, hustle and bustle and a bit of scoring touch...

On the second line? Sure but does the team suffer without such a checking force on the shut down line?

He rocks it on the third line so i would leave him there but give him a regular PP shift to take advantage of his gritty offensive abilities.

Lines as the team stands right now (Without Doan/Arnott and kes out)

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Schroeder-Booth

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Volpatti-Malholtra-Weiss

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts

Higgy, lappy, and badger had awesome chemistry last year and our fourth line with patti, manny, and weiss was very solid so as long as Schroeder plays up to his potential we should have a well above .500 team to start the year until Kes comes back.

If we get Doan then it will look more like;

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Doan

Booth-Schroeder-Burr

And they will most likely trade Mayray to make room for Doaner, probably down to Phoenix as an unofficial trade

I have no problem with Higgins on the second line, he's shown can score at a 20-25 goal pace still which is good for a second liner. Heck, if he can stay a whole season healthy and not be shifted to the 3rd line a bunch of times, I wouldn't be that surprised if he hit 30 goals. People need to remember he's 29 so he's in that butter zone now where he's in his prime--he could do it.

I have no idea how good he is as a centerman, but if he's decent he could certainly be an option until Kesler comes back. Lapierre is another option. I have no idea how NHL ready Schroeder is, but a lot of people seem to like him as well. It'd be nice to get Arnott as insurance, but it all depends if we land Doan or not and what our cap space is going to be like.

All in all, we can do a LOT worse than Higgins as 2nd line C. The guy proved last year he can move into almost any position needed and put in a grade A effort every game.

IMO he has great chemistry with Kesler because they are both gritty, hard working, and have the ability to finish. They don't ride on their linemates' coattails *throws angry look at Raymond*

They really complement each other well and I'd like to see him stick on the 2nd line for at least half a season.

I couldn't disagree more. Higgins put up more points on the third line, and was a way bigger threat. kesler struggles with every linemate as he doesn't know how to distribute the puck. Higgins is good for Kesler but I can't say Kesler is good for Higgins, or really any other winger.

I think your line up is good. I feel like Higgy is way too good to play only on the 3rd line and get maybe 10 minutes a game.

The 2nd line is pretty much solid as long as Booth can be the 20-30 goal scorer that he was before & kesler has a good recovery and becomes the 30-40 goal scorer that he was 2 seasons ago

I think your line up is good. I feel like Higgy is way too good to play only on the 3rd line and get maybe 10 minutes a game.

The 2nd line is pretty much solid as long as Booth can be the 20-30 goal scorer that he was before & kesler has a good recovery and becomes the 30-40 goal scorer that he was 2 seasons ago

Yes Higgins is consistent, I hate seeing how everyone gives Manny the third line spot when Lappy was clearly the better man. These are what the lines should be

With Doan

Sedins-Burrpws

Doan-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

raymond-Manny-Kassian

Without doan

Sedins-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler-Booth

Hansen-Lapierre-Kassian

Raymond-Manny-Weise

Archived