The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Just now, Green Building said:

@Chip Kelly That video was ridiculous, but I'd be ok with all that crap being in the NFL because some of it was pretty funny. Problem is it cuts into the NFL advert coffer and that's a no-no. I love the NFL, but I'm at my wits end when it comes to advertising. If they figure out a way to squeeze more commercials into a game I'm done.

The solution might be to PVR Games to cut down all the time the talking heads spend breaking down the game with 3 hour pre game shows for regular season games and then half time and post game reports have ads sandwhiched in whenver there is a change of possession, td, punt, score, review, or injury timeout.

It's pretty ridiculous especially the prime time games like Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football how often they have ads.

I'm gonna try it out tomorrow and PVR the Eagles/Packers game and see how long it takes me to watch it.

I hate ties though in any sports. When I invest time and energy to watch a full game I expect a result positive or negative win or loss.

A tie is like yeah I was entertained but at the end of the day the game wasn't as meaningful because it ended in a tie.

Unless you are talking the Seahawks/Cardinals game on Sunday Night. Then yeah it is reasonable to end it in a tie when both kickers shank field goals.

9 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

The solution might be to PVR Games to cut down all the time the talking heads spend breaking down the game with 3 hour pre game shows for regular season games and then half time and post game reports have ads sandwhiched in whenver there is a change of possession, td, punt, score, review, or injury timeout.

It's pretty ridiculous especially the prime time games like Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football how often they have ads.

I'm gonna try it out tomorrow and PVR the Eagles/Packers game and see how long it takes me to watch it.

Ugh. I do that for Canucks games when I need to and I love it. Football is different. Fewer games, I often have people over for bbq and beers and don't want to be the dink with his fingers on the remote all night. It's something the NFL needs to fix. It's not a new issue, from a fan perspective, but I doubt the league will do anything until they see huge drops in revenue. Since that isn't too likely, well, here we are.  

• Upvote 1

This entire day of football watching from morning to night if you are on the west coast sounds well and good until the reality hits of 3 plus hour long games.

Chiefs Broncos was 4 hours!!! Are you kidding me?!! For a regular season game?

I don't care if its a prime time night game.

NFL gotta cut down the length of these games and be less greedy with all the ads. #C'monMan

No wonder soccer fans complain about not being able to get into "American Football" because of all the damn commercials every 5 minutes.

I think there was study done that the actual amount of live action in an average NFL game is like 10 minutes what a scam.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

This entire day of football watching from morning to night if you are on the west coast sounds well and good until the reality hits of 3 plus hour long games.

Chiefs Broncos was 4 hours!!! Are you kidding me?!! For a regular season game?

I don't care if its a prime time night game.

NFL gotta cut down the length of these games and be less greedy with all the ads. #C'monMan

No wonder soccer fans complain about not being able to get into "American Football" because of all the damn commercials every 5 minutes.

I think there was study done that the actual amount of live action in an average NFL game is like 10 minutes what a scam.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

They are living in a dream world. Imagine if the only commercial were at halftime!

• Upvote 1

I think they should change it up... Instead of a commercial break after every switch of possession and/or kickoff/punt, they should just continue. So for example, each team will possess the ball on offence once each time and then go to commercial and keep doing this until the 2 min warning for each half and then of course halftime. If not, then instead of sticking in a 2 min slot for commercial after a punt or even a kickoff, let the team that receives the ball go on offence right away and THEN go to commercial when their possession is over.

So for example from kickoff..

Kickoff

team 1 offence

team 1 ends up punting

team 2 receives

team 2 goes on offence and ends up punting

team 1 receives... cut to commercial

and so forth

If Team 1 scores a touchdown then maybe after the PAT go to commercial and then come back for the kickoff

So for example...

Kickoff

Team 1 offence

Team 1 TD

Team 1 PAT = good

Commercial

Kickoff

Team 2 offence

Team 2 punt

Team 1 receive

Team 1 offence

Team 1 punt

commercial

If that makes sense... It'll cut down on commercial time and will help provide more live action although the games would be cut short by around 30 minutes or so more or less

10 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I can see why the NFL ratings are down way more uninterrupted action and higher crowd energy in NCAA games.

I am a big football fan.

But if I had to choose between a random NFL or college game, I would choose the latter. I think the big thing that has always attracted me to CFB was the passion and intensity that college players have in EVERY game, opposed to just in the playoffs or against big rivals in the NFL. Sometimes I feel like players in the NFL are just going through the motions, knowing they're getting paid after the game(case and point Seahawk receivers yesterday). 

• Upvote 1