The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Where did you read that? Because of the quarterback situation, most are worried that the offence is going to suck even worse than last year.

I'm also not a fan of Rex's 3-4 hybrid defence.

Unless the Bills sign Manning, they are going to take a step back and go 7-9 next season. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the season will be lost.

Patriots board, Dale & Holley show on WEEI, friends who are Seahawks sth's/49ers fans, and lastly the "experts" on NFL.com.

They said he's getting hyped because of the work he did with Smith and Kaepernick by bypassing their weaknesses via a lot of heavy running, misdirection and getting rid of the ball quick, and that him working with a young QB like Manuel should be successful as well.

Edit: Most of the sources I listed talked about how "people in the Buffalo area are excited," I haven't actually talked directly to, or heard someone directly from the Buffalo area besides reading a few clippings by Buffalo media. If you're from Buffalo, I'll take your word over theirs. But the reason I stated is the why for the apparent excitement.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000458473/article/demarco-murray-dallas-cowboys-disagree-on-value

LOL the Cowboys offered Murray just over 4 million a year. That’s an embarrassment. I know his offensive line helped him get to where he is but still.

Murray is awesome, but picture AP behind that offensive line who will be a year more mature and stronger next season.

He did draw that holding call when Flacco got stripped and the NE took into the endzone.

Revis couldn't guard a 36 year old. Please. He was getting beat a ton. Had a couple holds that the refs missed.

Smith wasn't needed as much anyway cause the Ravens have depth at WR.

Read the article. Then rewatch the play.

There was the pi play too. Yeah I'm just happy he's coming back next year.

I didn't expect to see Campanaro much in that game. 7th round pick and he's a Bal boy. I think they were calling him a mini Welker during the draft. His hammy was injured all year or he would been a huge difference maker.

The 2 Smiths, Brown, Aiken and now Campanaro. Pretty steady at wr position.

Pretty bad PI call there but whatever. Can't complain about it now. Missed calls both ways. Ravens should be dangerous yet again next season with Flacco maturing and becoming a better pocket passer. Just hope that Flacco learned from his INT late in the game

Patriots board, Dale & Holley show on WEEI, friends who are Seahawks sth's/49ers fans, and lastly the "experts" on NFL.com.

They said he's getting hyped because of the work he did with Smith and Kaepernick by bypassing their weaknesses via a lot of heavy running, misdirection and getting rid of the ball quick, and that him working with a young QB like Manuel should be successful as well.

Edit: Most of the sources I listed talked about how "people in the Buffalo area are excited," I haven't actually talked directly to, or heard someone directly from the Buffalo area besides reading a few clippings by Buffalo media. If you're from Buffalo, I'll take your word over theirs. But the reason I stated is the why for the apparent excitement.

I'm from Buffalo. We all know that he's bringing a boring run heavy style of offence to the team. The Bills have good running backs, but they didn't do so well last season. The team has invested heavily in receivers, so this guy is going to be a pis* poor match for the offence here.

Personally I'm not happy at all with the Rex Ryan signing nor the new OC signing. Add losing Schwartz on top of that and I'm worried that Pegula may be sending this team into a tailspin back to under .500 mediocrity. Pegula and Regier did it with the Sabres, now Pegula and Whaley could end up doing the same thing to the Bills.

I'm from Buffalo. We all know that he's bringing a boring run heavy style of offence to the team. The Bills have good running backs, but they didn't do so well last season. The team has invested heavily in receivers, so this guy is going to be a pis* poor match for the offence here.

Personally I'm not happy at all with the Rex Ryan signing nor the new OC signing. Add losing Schwartz on top of that and I'm worried that Pegula may be sending this team into a tailspin back to under .500 mediocrity. Pegula and Regier did it with the Sabres, now Pegula and Whaley could end up doing the same thing to the Bills.

I can definitely see the reason for your lack of optimism for this new era that's going to begin for the Bills due to Spiller being on pace for less than 600 yards (300 yards in 9 games) this past season and Jackson being on pace for about a 700 yard season this past season, and now a run-first OC is coming in. Spiller might not even re-sign.

What really hurts is not having a 1st round pick this year. There's maybe a handful of QB's in this draft that show promise, and only maybe 3 [including Mariota/Winston] who have the franchise QB label on them, so unless the Bills make a trade, they can't answer that problem through the draft. You guys also need a lot of help on the O-line. At least with a healthy amount of cap space, free agency could be exciting for you guys.

Elway disagreed with Fox on how to get to 'next level'

John Elway gave a simple answer when asked why John Fox was no longer the coach of the Denver Broncos.

"I think the main thing between John and I was we disagreed how to get to the next level," Elway said during a Tuesday news conference at Broncos headquarters. "Because we accomplished so much, four AFC West championships. I think the biggest miss between us was how are we going to take that next step and what it was going to take to get to that next step. That's where that disagreement came from."

I wonder what the disagreement was. With all the money thrown at the defense last off season, it leads me to think Elway's plan to get to the 'next level' was with a defense that could allow Peyton to not have the pressure of needing a touchdown on every drive. Maybe Fox wanted an offense first approach, or a strong running game? He did lead Carolina to a Super Bowl (hehe) but that was also on the back of a great defense and a strong ground attack behind a resurgent Steven Davis.

I wonder what the disagreement was. With all the money thrown at the defense last off season, it leads me to think Elway's plan to get to the 'next level' was with a defense that could allow Peyton to not have the pressure of needing a touchdown on every drive. Maybe Fox wanted an offense first approach, or a strong running game? He did lead Carolina to a Super Bowl (hehe) but that was also on the back of a great defense and a strong ground attack behind a resurgent Steven Davis.

Maybe Fox wanted Peyton gone :bigblush:

Another coaching domino falls with Todd Bowles signing to coach the Jets. Was hoping he'd go to Atlanta as I've read he and Lions D coordinator Teryl Austin are the front runners for the Falcons job and I really hope he sticks around for another year

So the Jets basically signed the black Rex Ryan - just a bit more professional in terms of not as mouthy but other than pretty much the same. Nice.

I don't get the point of it but w/e. Both Ryan and Bowles are defensive minded, how will that make any difference? Then again, that entire franchise doesn't make sense so there's that.

Edited by TheRussianRocket™

I like the Ryan signing, short term anyway.

Look at what he took over in NY and what he did in the first 2 years. It didn't last but he squeezed a whole lot out of that team initially.

Yep. A players coach for sure. Personality makes a huge difference. Look at Ryan's record in NY compared to Harbaraugh's in SanFran. Then look at how long they stayed there for and you realize personality is the answer. Huge factor and Rex has that.

Look at what he took over in NY and what he did in the first 2 years. It didn't last but he squeezed a whole lot out of that team initially.

Yep. A players coach for sure. Personality makes a huge difference. Look at Ryan's record in NY compared to Harbaraugh's in SanFran. Then look at how long they stayed there for and you realize personality is the answer. Huge factor and Rex has that.

It's all about whether the players buy into his antics. When he arrived in New York he started off with talks of a super bowl, he's not there to kiss BB's rings, and had every man on that roster thinking damn this guy is for real. Most of the players on Buffalo have seen his antics. At his presser today he dropped the mic after he was done. That defense in Buffalo will be top 10 regardless of who's coaching it, they just have a ton of talent. It's about whether they can do things right on the offensive side of the ball.

QB, offensive line, need a playmaking TE, need a couple WR's to compliment Watkins, need a running back if Spiller chases money elsewhere.

A lot of offensive holes to plug, and no 1st round pick in this years draft. They will have to be the Nashville Predators of free agency this summer.

Edit: As for Jets, I like the hiring of Bowles there. Great guy and great defensive mind. But I don't like that he wants to hire Chan Gailey as his Off Co-ordinator. Well, I do, because it means they'll suck, but from a football standpoint there are a ton of guys who would be better for the job, and with a better track record.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

49ers promote defensive line coach Jim Tomsula to HC. Bit of an odd signing. One would think they'd want to hire outside of the organization to kickstart their offense. Defense is already sound so I'm not sure about this one tbh, mostly because I don't really know much about Tomsula.

Wow ... so many coaching changes.

Seems like OC and DC to head coach is really vogue right now ... at least more so than I recall. At one time, it used to be the hottest college coach.

Old timers like Mariucci, Billick, Gruden, Dungy, Cowher, their stock has really plummetted ... I remember when Cowher was like the hottest sought after coach. Now he is going to be a TV guy for the rest of his life. Shelf life of an NFL coach is really short once they step away from it.

Edited by Neversummer