The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Wow ... so many coaching changes.

Seems like OC and DC to head coach is really vogue right now ... at least more so than I recall. At one time, it used to be the hottest college coach.

Old timers like Mariucci, Billick, Gruden, Dungy, Cowher, their stock has really plummetted ... I remember when Cowher was like the hottest sought after coach. Now he is going to be a TV guy for the rest of his life. Shelf life of an NFL coach is really short once they step away from it.

A lot of the former coaches turned analysts don't want to come back to the game. I know Gruden is firm on not coming back even though he negotiated an out clause in his ESPN contract. I think Dungy and Cowher have also said they're comfortable sticking on TV and don't want the stress of being a coach. Billick and Mariucci are just irrelevant lol.

Wow ... so many coaching changes.

Seems like OC and DC to head coach is really vogue right now ... at least more so than I recall. At one time, it used to be the hottest college coach.

Old timers like Mariucci, Billick, Gruden, Dungy, Cowher, their stock has really plummetted ... I remember when Cowher was like the hottest sought after coach. Now he is going to be a TV guy for the rest of his life. Shelf life of an NFL coach is really short once they step away from it.

Cowher likes his TV gig and has said he doesn't want to return to coaching. I believe the same goes for Gruden and Dungy.

Cowher likes his TV gig and has said he doesn't want to return to coaching. I believe the same goes for Gruden and Dungy.

I don't know for sure but I think it's self-defense, just to protect one's ego. Any of these guys would like to make coach's $$ and be in the spotlight over being an analyst (esp Cowher, Gruden. Dungy looks like he's ready to live the analyst life). But my point is that I don't think any team has been knocking on their door and their shelf life expires real quickly, within a year or two. After that, they are forgotten.

I don't know for sure but I think it's self-defense, just to protect one's ego. Any of these guys would like to make coach's $$ and be in the spotlight over being an analyst (esp Cowher, Gruden. Dungy looks like he's ready to live the analyst life). But my point is that I don't think any team has been knocking on their door and their shelf life expires real quickly, within a year or two. After that, they are forgotten.

If Gruden wanted to come back, there would be lots of teams lining up for his services.

Two winning seasons as a head coach in 8 years. Sub .500 coaching record.

So I ask. WHY???

Well he did have success behind the 1-2 punch of an aging Fred Taylor and a rookie MJD when he took them to the divisional round, and now he will be in Oakland with an aging MJD, and perhaps he wants to take a running back early in this draft? He does have a solid young QB in Carr and some weapons at WR and a good TE. They have one of the best LBs in the game in Mack, and 2 young CBs in Hayden and Carrie who should develop well under a defensive coach.

If they can shore up their secondary depth and add a couple pieces to their defensive line, they should be able to stay in games next season. Granted, this is all contingent on Carr making positive developments over this off season and the upcoming training camp.

Give Derek Carr a receiving corps of Amari Cooper, Rod Streater, James Jones and Andre Holmes and they'll be an exciting offense to watch. I still see them finishing at 6-10, because they're the Raiders lol.

Well he did have success behind the 1-2 punch of an aging Fred Taylor and a rookie MJD when he took them to the divisional round, and now he will be in Oakland with an aging MJD, and perhaps he wants to take a running back early in this draft? He does have a solid young QB in Carr and some weapons at WR and a good TE. They have one of the best LBs in the game in Mack, and 2 young CBs in Hayden and Carrie who should develop well under a defensive coach.

If they can shore up their secondary depth and add a couple pieces to their defensive line, they should be able to stay in games next season. Granted, this is all contingent on Carr making positive developments over this off season and the upcoming training camp.

Give Derek Carr a receiving corps of Amari Cooper, Rod Streater, James Jones and Andre Holmes and they'll be an exciting offense to watch. I still see them finishing at 6-10, because they're the Raiders lol.

They draft Amari Cooper. Latavius Murray takes over at rb. They should be competing for the playoffs in 2016 if Carr keeps progressing

They draft Amari Cooper. Latavius Murray takes over at rb. They should be competing for the playoffs in 2016 if Carr keeps progressing

I agree as long as they get secondary help. Woodson should be coaching them, not starting for them lol. He's still productive for his age, but who's the guy taking over for him? They need safety help and depth at CB for their nickel and dime coverages. Tight ends can kill them. A good secondary should help make up a little bit for a non existent pass rush.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Like people have said, nobody wins a press conference like Rex Ryan. I'm still not sure that he's the right coach for the Bills, but I did get a little pumped up watching the press conference.

Here's the video just in case anybody is curious and has some time to kill: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Rex_Ryan_Introductory_Press_Conference/3794b0e4-0057-4d1a-a2e4-9b9ed5075871

Like people have said, nobody wins a press conference like Rex Ryan. I'm still not sure that he's the right coach for the Bills, but I did get a little pumped up watching the press conference.

Here's the video just in case anybody is curious and has some time to kill: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Rex_Ryan_Introductory_Press_Conference/3794b0e4-0057-4d1a-a2e4-9b9ed5075871

That's his schtick. That's how he gets an entire fan base that has hated him for the last few years to fall in love with him.

I can almost guarantee that the season after next he guarantees a Super Bowl like he did for the Jets.

That's his schtick. That's how he gets an entire fan base that has hated him for the last few years to fall in love with him.

I can almost guarantee that the season after next he guarantees a Super Bowl like he did for the Jets.

Nobody here hated him. Most of us just laughed at the Jets as a whole (Jets players and coaches).

There's no real hate for Belichick either. It's more of a, "crap, we have to play the Pats twice every year" kind of thing.

I'll be surprised if he guarantees a Super Bowl after that blew up in his face with the "New Jersey" Jets.

Edited by SabreFan1

@RapSheet:

Fascinating. The @NFL will host on March 22 in AZ the first ever NFL Veteran Combine, according to a memo sent today. It’s for veterans FAs.

Wow, this is pretty incredible. Great on the NFL for doing this. Win-win situation for everyone. Players get to showcase what they have, and teams and can take players that look like they can help. Maybe other professional leagues will do this too in the near future? It's a brilliant idea.

Among those options could be Mark Sanchez, who played for Ryan in New York and is scheduled to be a free agent.

"Certainly, he'll be a guy under consideration," Ryan said. "We'll explore every avenue. If we think there's a free agent like Mark or somebody else out there that we think can help us, then we'll absolutely explore it. We've briefly talked about some possibilities out there. We'll definitely look into anybody that we think can help us."

He did have some pretty good games this year when Foles went down, especially that Monday Night game

Buffalo is going to be a monster defensively. Kiko Alonso cones back from his injury too! Rex will be a great fit imo. Just need a qb now