The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Why do you think I am a Hawks hater? xD (if you are curious I have no love or hate for ether the Hawks or Lions. I am genuinely unbiased towards them).

You are also missing the point. Yes it was a great defensive play leading up to it and yes it was unlikely a Lions player would have gotten it but it was still against the rules to bat the ball. You can argue that it is a dumb rule but it is still a rule and the NFL has already acknowledged that it was a botched call and should have been a penalty.

As far as no one knowing the rule well that is relevant to you. This actually came up a few years ago when Troy Polamalu dove at a fumble and punched it into the endzone from like 10-15 yards away. For what it is worth I am on the East Coast so maybe it wasn't known by "everyone" on the west but it is a rule I knew and have discussed with people years ago.

I am not even knocking the Hawks in this I am just stating the obvious.

1. Was it a penalty?

- Yes. The NFL admitted it was the wrong call.

2. Would the game have been the Lions to lose if they scored a TD?

- Yes. Outside of the fact that the Hawks only mustered 13 points and only 3 in that half... How often do teams in general drive 80 yards in less than a minute and a half when the defense can anticipate pass plays?

If that makes my opinion "invalid" in your eyes I can't do much about it but it seems like your homering hard. I made my remarks based on facts, percentages, and no cares about ether team. I am not bothered by sports teams losing xD

I apologize if I mislabelled you. I guess I misread what you said about the Lions dominating the Seahawks. I overlooked the part about their defense in the second half which I would be inclined to agree upon. I assumed you meant the overall game as anyone who thought the Lions dominated any part of that game, with the exception of their defensive line, would have to be hating as the only real domination in that game was by the Seahawks defense.

That being said I think there is still bias in your interpretation of the rule, and the outcome, and I still think it is you that is missing the point. Trent Dilfer said it best today when he stated that refs are there to enforce the Spirit of the rule, not the letter of it, right or wrong. They are given the mandate to make subjective calls as they see it. It happens every game, 30 times a game, when penalties are not called when they don't affect a play. He gave an example in this game as well. When Wilson fumbled the ball, and it was taken in for a score, there were two blatant illegal contact penalties on Seahawks receivers. As Wilson was under duress ,and never could have made a play anyway, the penalties were let go and the score counted. It happens every game, multiple times a game and as such you can't pick and choose when to enforce rules to the letter of the rule when they benefit your viewpoint.

In the case of the batted ball, he suggests the ref knew the rule. He had his hand on the flag and even discussed it with the other refs. They decided that under the circumstances, the ball already heading out, no Lion being close to the ball, and KJ being easily able to recover or run through the ball knocking it out, that the rule being broken was not significant to the outcome of the play and the a penalty should not be called. And it was the right call in my opinion and many other non seahawk fans as well.

As for you knowing the rule, I call BS. Your example is not even close as the ball was fumbled on the field of play and batted into the endzone. Everyone who follows the game knows that rule, as well as not being able to knock the ball forward ala the holy roller rule. This ball was already in the endzone and on its way out. Trent Dilfer didn't know the rule. Neither did Pete Carroll, John Gruden, KJ Wright, Steve Young, Ray Lewis, the announcers, the booth, or the entire Detroit Lions team. But somehow some random fan did because he is out east? Not buying it one bit. Please provide an example of ever seeing a play even close to comparing to this one if you can. I highly doubt you can without google. Maybe not even then. As I said, Earl Thomas did it last year and it wasn't called a penalty and was never discussed afterwards.

As for the outcome had the penalty been called. Well I guess it's all speculation at best. Given the fact that the Lions offense could only muster one field goal all game, a touchdown was not even close to a guarantee. Not to mention the Lions had a chance to get the ball back with time on clock. Remember what happened then? A 50 yard pass to Kearse, that's what. I get it though. The odds would have been in the Lions favor and had they scored it most likely they would have won. It's all moot at this point. The right call was made and the better team won. Homer out. xD

• Upvote 1

Going over to NY tomorrow. Any suggestions on what game to watch?

Options:

Giants-9ers

Philly-Orleans

Jets-Washington

Nice. I'm heading east later this year to catch 2-3 games. If I were you I'd catch the Eagles Saints game. 2 desperate teams in need of a win to salvage a season. 2nd pick would be Jets Redskins. I just like the way the Jets have played so far this year, defensively anyways. 49'ers are awful to the bone. Damn near a guaranteed win for Eli.

My 2 cents

Now that's a call worth bitching about if I'm a Lions fan. So turnovers are reviewed automatically right? Fumble and touchback could have been reviewed, and wasn't.

I'll take the lucky break, but the Seahawks should take this bloody game as a wakeup call.

The fumble can be/should be reviewed (and correctly upheld), but swatting the ball out of the end zone is a penalty that is not reviewable. If the ref doesn't call the penalty, then it stands as a fumble.

That being said I think there is still bias in your interpretation of the rule, and the outcome, and I still think it is you that is missing the point. Trent Dilfer said it best today when he stated that refs are there to enforce the Spirit of the rule, not the letter of it, right or wrong. They are given the mandate to make subjective calls as they see it. It happens every game, 30 times a game, when penalties are not called when they don't affect a play. He gave an example in this game as well. When Wilson fumbled the ball, and it was taken in for a score, there were two blatant illegal contact penalties on Seahawks receivers. As Wilson was under duress ,and never could have made a play anyway, the penalties were let go and the score counted. It happens every game, multiple times a game and as such you can't pick and choose when to enforce rules to the letter of the rule when they benefit your viewpoint.

In the case of the batted ball, he suggests the ref knew the rule. He had his hand on the flag and even discussed it with the other refs. They decided that under the circumstances, the ball already heading out, no Lion being close to the ball, and KJ being easily able to recover or run through the ball knocking it out, that the rule being broken was not significant to the outcome of the play and the a penalty should not be called. And it was the right call in my opinion and many other non seahawk fans as well.

Interesting input. When I saw the play, I wondered if it was a penalty... it's a rare instance that I don't recall seeing before. I didn't think it was clearly on it's way out at the time, but I haven't seen any replays since the game. Anyhow, the way footballs bounce, I wouldn't take it for granted that it was going to go out on its own and it clearly looked deliberate to me when it did.

I don't have much of a horse in that race. Kinda like the 'Hawks from my time in Vancouver, but Calvin is one of my favorite players ever. And, FWIW, the play had no difference either way in my pools (whew!)

My sense of rightness would have liked to see the penalty get called. Kam made a huge play, but that was pretty weak of the guy who batted it out. Smother the ball, and earn the touchback. If it is as you describe and the refs allowed the play to stand, that seems wrong, as they are going against the intent of the rule. The hawks deserved to cause the fumble, but did not deserve the touchback, IMO.

The fumble can be/should be reviewed (and correctly upheld), but swatting the ball out of the end zone is a penalty that is not reviewable. If the ref doesn't call the penalty, then it stands as a fumble.

See that's the grey area for me on the matter. I get that a penalty is not reviewable, and that they can and do review fumbles, but the change of possession has been reviewed for a few years now. When both happen on the same play they should still review it to get possession right in my opinion.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/07/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-greg-hardy-tom-brady

Wth is Jerry Jones on. I mean not trying to act like I don't have a crush on Giselle and wouldn't love her but this is professional sports, your player called her out and as an owner you one up him by saying that instead of doing a PR move. Lol, Cowboys sound so perverted from the looks of it. Jones you dirty old man :lol:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/07/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-greg-hardy-tom-brady

Wth is Jerry Jones on. I mean not trying to act like I don't have a crush on Giselle and wouldn't love her but this is professional sports, your player called her out and as an owner you one up him by saying that instead of doing a PR move. Lol, Cowboys sound so perverted from the looks of it. Jones you dirty old man :lol:

He's not wrong.

Lmao so weird but true

See that's the grey area for me on the matter. I get that a penalty is not reviewable, and that they can and do review fumbles, but the change of possession has been reviewed for a few years now. When both happen on the same play they should still review it to get possession right in my opinion.

What really pisses me off is that there is a penalty (may be others, but I don't think so) that can be reviewed... too many men on the field. I don't care that it is clearly obvious and not open to interpretation... if the refs miss a penalty, that's on them.

You raise an interesting point though. It would be nice to have things always come up correct after reviews are done.

But then, take it to the other direction: if the penalty was called on the play, negating the turnover, but replays showed that the Seahawk player whiffed on his attempt and didn't touch the ball, should that be considered? I think you would have to open up the challenge rules to all penalties. I'm not sure that is good for the game.

I just hope that is the screwiest situation that comes up this year

It's still the rule tho

There are many rules/penalties that are let go if they don't affect the play multiple times a game. In this case, if there was a Lion in the vicinity trying to make a play on the ball then it would have been an unfair advantage to the Seahawks and the penalty should have been called. As there wasn't any chance of a Lion recovery, the outcome of the play was not in doubt and thus the infraction should not be called. Like I said, on the Wilson fumble that led to to the Lions only touchdown there were two illegal contact penalties on Seahawks players that were let go. Apparently Trent Dilfer posted them on his twitter account. As Wilson had no chance to make the play they were not called. If the penalties were called the outcome of the game would never have been in doubt and the batting would never have been an issue. It's still a rule though, right?

There are many rules/penalties that are let go if they don't affect the play multiple times a game. In this case, if there was a Lion in the vicinity trying to make a play on the ball then it would have been an unfair advantage to the Seahawks and the penalty should have been called. As there wasn't any chance of a Lion recovery, the outcome of the play was not in doubt and thus the infraction should not be called. Like I said, on the Wilson fumble that led to to the Lions only touchdown there were two illegal contact penalties on Seahawks players that were let go. Apparently Trent Dilfer posted them on his twitter account. As Wilson had no chance to make the play they were not called. If the penalties were called the outcome of the game would never have been in doubt and the batting would never have been an issue. It's still a rule though, right?

I'm glad the Seahawks won. Someone's awfully defensive.

Whenever Tannehill got picked off in practice by a practice squad player, he'd "get back at them" by belittling them for how much less money they make than him.

Lmao.

What a joke. You call that a leader? That's small d*ck syndrome when you resort to bringing up how much more money you make.

Pathetic, much like his quarterbacking ability.

But his wife is hot like Blake Bortles. That shows how good of a man you are according to Jerruh..

I bet Greg Hardy is a fan too.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Let's be real Giselle Bunchen is overrated she is tall and has an average face. Better looking females on the street.

Give them the same hair/makeup etc. Supermodel.. :rolleyes: