The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Tomas Plekanec

He's a good playmaker, has had 4 50+ point seasons in his last 5 years, and he's a great penalty killer. It's been rumored that Montreal is looking to deal him this offseason, although 5m might be steep, I think he would be a good fit and solidify our need for a playmaker and depth up the middle.

I don't think that Tomas would be the best fit in Vancouver, whereas someone like Ryane Clowe should be.

- Size/ physicality (as MG wants)? Check (6'2", 225 lbs, power forward).

- Relatively young age? Check (he's only 29, same age as Tomas)

- Play-making? Check (Ryane has had more assists than goals for every one of his seasons in the NHL and while he doesn't score as much as Tomas power forwards like him are valuable for playoff runs)

Plus Vancouver's pretty set at center (and with penalty killers) but could use another established Top-6 forward who plays on the wing (and someone who could play-make for Kes or the 2nd line center so there can be two strong PP units instead of only one).

In either case, I'm not sure what the asking price would be but I would still target Clowe for the reasons stated above.

EDIT: @Alex Burrows 14: Fair enough, but on a team that should be taking a more aggressive approach in attacking the net Ryane Clowe fits in well as someone who can connect the dots with his line-mates and help with the physical game, as (maybe he's not a play-maker but) his passing is adequate to create the offensive chances necessary to score.

Archived