The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bus Driver Uppercuts Young Woman.

VoiceOfReason_

Santa?

I didn't dole out any 'life advice' by correctly pointing out an example of poor parenting or religious non-adherence.

Not sure which glass house you're referring to since there doesn't seem to be one encasing me from that quote or from some tie into my post count, over the last 5 years.

People who don't know when to appropriately use adages, shouldn't use them.

Looks like this isn't over. I still don't understand how the spanking thing blew up from a bus driver post, and then proceeded to religious argument but I guess **** happens.

In all honesty, I was spanked as a kid, though not frequently - only in the worst possible forms of behaviour. I also had the mouth washed out with soap thing, but I swear more than a trucker so that definitely backfired... stupid ****.

What isn't defensible is to continue the spanking as it is misconstrued as part of one's religion, when fact states otherwise. I don't think anyone of this generation or beyond will take to such crude methods.

Side note (let's see where this takes us):

I'm of the belief that people should stop producing people, as we are not in a world that can sustain more. That's just my belief, I choose not to procreate.

There are times when a child just will not respond to anything other than a good swat on the backside, my sister had the same opinion as your until she babysat my cousins kids, she changed her tune pretty quick after one night with those undisciplined little monsters. The kids should not live in terror of their parents, but they should learn that there are consequences to crossing certain lines.

And for all the people complaining about "out of control" kids etc... even in your own examples you say things like "the mother just stands there and laughs". Well guess what, THAT is the problem, it's a lack of parenting and follow through, NOT a lack of abuse.

The child should have clear consequences for negative actions clear benefits to positive ones. This all requires time and actual effort from the parents.

A good example I heard from my wife was someone she knows has young boy who was displeased with his inexpensive hockey stick and wanted a near $200 composite one that his friends had. He asked for it but was told they couldn't afford it my his parents. He then decided that he would take his father's saw to his current stick so they'd HAVE to replace it. After initially being upset with him, one of the parents shortly caved and bought him the composite stick.

What's lacking here is not physical punishment for the child but some actual parenting. If they were doing it they could have even suggested him doing things like extra chores, cutting neighbours grass etc to earn extra money and offer to help pay for a more expensive stick BEFORE he took a saw to the existing one and needed punishing for bad behaviour.

Just some things to think about JR, for when those twins of yours arrive and you and the Mrs are considering how to discipline them as they grow up. May want to have a talk about it with her. Just some food for thought my friend.

And for all the people complaining about "out of control" kids etc... even in your own examples you say things like "the mother just stands there and laughs". Well guess what, THAT is the problem, it's a lack of parenting and follow through, NOT a lack of abuse.

The child should have clear consequences for negative actions clear benefits to positive ones. This all requires time and actual effort from the parents.

A good example I heard from my wife was someone she knows has young boy who was displeased with his inexpensive hockey stick and wanted a near $200 composite one that his friends had. He asked for it but was told they couldn't afford it my his parents. He then decided that he would take his father's saw to his current stick so they'd HAVE to replace it. After initially being upset with him, one of the parents shortly caved and bought him the composite stick.

What's lacking here is not physical punishment for the child but some actual parenting. If they were doing it they could have even suggested him doing things like extra chores, cutting neighbours grass etc to earn extra money and offer to help pay for a more expensive stick BEFORE he took a saw to the existing one and needed punishing for bad behaviour.

I hear ya, and I wonder what the point, or the efficacy, of a light 'rap' is over a more non-physical alternative to behaviour modification or guidance?

Why not just leave the 'rap' out of one's child rearing repertoire altogether?

I honestly can't believe anyone finds this "funny". It made me feel sick. The driver did nothing professional in diffusing the situation...he was helping to escalate it. Had he just ignored her, chances are it would have been a done deal.

Nope, can't support this one single bit. An act of violence is never the answer, even if in response to an act of violence. Honestly, toss her off the bus and close the door......would have been better than this.

I don't condone this idiot girl's actions but, when on the job, you take charge of the situation and this could have ended up a bloody free for all because he was fully engaged in the confrontational aspect of things. If nothing else, the safety of his other passengers was jeopardized by his actions...what if she pulled out a gun? I understand that this incites a positive reaction from viewers because he's seen as the underdog/victim and fights back. But I don't think it was appropriate at all - man, that was quite a blow.

Archived