The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Gary Bettman responds to NHLPA proposal

Shortly after Donald Fehr said he had been advised by the league that the NHLPA’s latest proposal was “not acceptable,” Gary Bettman addressed the media:

- The sense of optimism “almost inexplicably” disappeared on Wednesday afternoon after having such a good day on Tuesday.

- Owners pushed hard to get a new deal last night and the union’s response was “shockingly silent.”

- Owners in the room were beside themselves at the players’ reaction.

- Key was to have a long-term agreement with the players. “That’s what our fans deserve.”

- League is going to take a deep breath and regroup.

- "Things that we added this week are off the table.”

- The Make Whole provision in its entirety as a concept is off the table.

- Denies that the league has set a drop-dead date for cancelling the season, not even internally.

Bill Daly's remarks:

- Said five-year player contract limits hugely important to NHL, as is 10-year CBA term

- Term limit on player contracts is so important to league, it’s “the hill we’ll die on.”

- Owners were “insulted” by players’ reaction to NHL’s offer last night.

- Confirmed the league dropped proposed changes to entry level, arbitration and unrestricted free agency, but keeping that the same is now off the table.

Well, I've spent the last few yrs of my life negotiating agreements, albeit not in labor law. And what's abundantly clear to me after watching todays pressers are:

1) It's got to personal, on both sides. It's why rule #1 is - have a 3rd party who isn't tied to the outcome negotiate your agreements.

2) The league is clearly a dictator, not a negotiator. They've clearly taken their strategies from Hilters regime. They want what they want, and that's it.

3) Bettman and Daly are losing it. Bettman is the face of this process on NHL side and he just 'publicly' lost it. To me, it speaks to the chaos going on behind close doors.

You mean the era that's happening now?

He pretends like the league is healthy when it's really not. Why else would he have to take away so much money from the players.

This league has half of its teams doing well and half struggling to even make a profit or not go under. He's ignoring the real problem in this whole thing which is broken markets that nee to be addressed.

Scottie Upshall@ScottieUpshall

Plain and simple these owners think they can break us apart. GOOD LUCK! We r stronger than we've ever been and r behind Fehr %100.

Scottie Upshall@ScottieUpshall

There's no pressure yet on the owners to lose this year, that's why they still treat us like Cattle. They'll need a partner come January.

MG should get him on our team, love this guy.

Archived