The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Reinhart

Jaku

If we somehow finished low enough to get one of the two, we'd have a tough choice to make. We got Horvat and Shinkaruk last year, and haven't had a defense prospect like Ekblad since Luc (RIP), and IMO we need that more than a forward.

If Ekblad was a LHD I would agree...the right side looks pretty good long term so I would much rather Reinhart

We have Tanev, Corrado, and Stanton that solve our future at D. Plus another one of our D prospects could surprise us, like Corrado has. I think we won't need to draft a defenseman in the 1st round for a little while. Plus, we are overcrowded with D when we are healthy.

Reinhart would move Kes to wing which is good because we lack top 6 wingers. Also makes Kesler expendable in the Future.

Drafting Reinhart would secure our future down the middle.

1st C Reinhart, 2nd C Horvat and 3rd C Gaunce. That would be a solid future at C.

I agree we wont need another top D prospect for a while with those young guys. Definitely need more scoring so I would go for Sam.

Hamhuis Tanev

Garrison Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

Should be good for a few more years. We got Subban developing too.

What I would like to see is trading our 1st + Edler during the draft to trade up.

I agree we wont need another top D prospect for a while with those young guys. Definitely need more scoring so I would go for Sam.

Hamhuis Tanev

Garrison Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

Should be good for a few more years. We got Subban developing too.

What I would like to see is trading our 1st + Edler during the draft to trade up.

If there was any way possible of getting Sam our future number 1 center would be locked up.

so next question does anyone think it is at all possible to trade up to that number one or two draft pick? If so what would it take?

If there was any way possible of getting Sam our future number 1 center would be locked up.

so next question does anyone think it is at all possible to trade up to that number one or two draft pick? If so what would it take?

Not sure, teams are pretty stingy with the top picks it seems. I could see Buffalo trading down for Edler and our 1st if it was like pick 7-10. They have the NYI pick but i'm not sure what the condition is. I think if they had that pick as well they would be more willing to trade. Top 5 would be good, if we did trade up and couldn't get Reinhart another guy worth looking at would be the other Sam, Sam Bennett. He's a hard nosed two way player who is th complete package and would fit right in with guys like Horvat, Gaunce, and Kesler. I think he can also play C in addition to LW.

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming draft, would love to see the Canucks make the playoffs though... so we will have to wait and find out how well we do after the break!

Who knows, if Lu wins a gold medal maybe he will take us to the finals once more :bigblush:

We have Tanev, Corrado, and Stanton that solve our future at D

These guys have the potential to be respectable top 4 D, which gives you the same problem the Canucks have now 3-5 years down the line.

You can't win a cup without an elite #1 D man in this league, and a guy like Ekblad is that.

Chicago: Keith

LA: Doughty

Boston: Chara

Pittsburgh: enigma here, don't see anyone on that D core that stands out.

Detroit: Lidstrom AND Rafalski

Anaheim: Niedermyer AND Pronger

Then we have Vancouver: Corrado, Tanev, Stanton

See how it doesn't really fit?

These guys have the potential to be respectable top 4 D, which gives you the same problem the Canucks have now 3-5 years down the line.

You can't win a cup without an elite #1 D man in this league, and a guy like Ekblad is that.

Exact reason why I'm leaning towards taking Ekblad if we finish that high (or move up in the lottery draft if we miss the playoffs). If Ekblad develops into that #1 defenceman he's projected to be, and have Tanev as our 2nd RD, we'd be looking really good in 2-3 years. What I would do if we take Ekblad is trade Kesler or Edler (or both) to a team in the top 10-12 range for their 1st++; 1st++ for Kesler, 1st+ for Edler. Looks reasonable IMO.

Letang

Hamhuis is ours. Would of done way better in the finals had he not been injured

Did not know.

Yeah Hamhuis is our closest, just as good as those guys defensively. If he had more of an offensive edge he would be right there, pretty close...

Well put! Agree 100%... one of the most reliable defenceman in the league, great poise and passing abilities. Quietly gets all the little things done, and doing it with ease!

• 3 weeks later...

Button has him 5th overall, seems crazy to me. Am I just buying into the Reinhart hype or is he not as great as the people make him out to be. Top 5 is nothing to sneeze at. But consensus has been it's Ekblad and Reinhart, and then everyone else.

Button is an idiot.

A couple of days ago he had him at #1... http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Button has him 5th overall, seems crazy to me. Am I just buying into the Reinhart hype or is he not as great as the people make him out to be. Top 5 is nothing to sneeze at. But consensus has been it's Ekblad and Reinhart, and then everyone else.

Where do you see that? When I look at Button's list, he still has Reinhart listed #1.

Archived