The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty- 9/10

I don't know what it was, but this movie pulled me in from start to finish. I honestly have no sound reasoning as to why I gave this movie a 9 other than the fact that I really, really liked it. This movie was shot beautifully, amazing scenery. I felt I could relate to the main character in some way.

Love Croupier. Clive Owen needs to do more ACTUAL films, not the garbage he's been doing for the last several years.

Mostly agree, but Children of Men was phenomenal.

The International was quite good too. Better on the 2nd viewing.

EDIT - Looking back, I realized how long it's been since those movies came out. So in that case, speaking of the last 3-4 years, I 100% agree with you.

Edited by D-Money

Watched 12 Years a Save last night and have to say I wish I'd read the book after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqodUJ-UfM

Don't get me wrong, the movie was VERY good, and most of the acting was stellar but as disturbing as many of the scenes (Pastey's whipping in particular) were, it didn't touch the drudgery, despair, cruelty and hopelessness that the book does.

In fact it may have been a better mini-series to better translate the weight of time and oppression (and detail) that I feel the movie had to downplay because of the obvious restrictions of the medium.

That said, on it's own I'd still give it a solid 9/10. It really is an EXCELLENT movie with a supremely talented cast. I just wish it hadn't felt as much like a "Coles Notes" version of the book as it did.

For any of you who enjoyed the film....I HIGHLY recommend the book.

Also watched Saving Mr. Banks this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxpk2IdDmM

I was pleasantly surprised by this very adult treatment of the origins of a very beloved children's movie. It was unexpectedly mature and well done IMO. Thompson was excellent as always and Hanks did a good job channeling Walt. Farrell also does a good job as the father with Buckley doing excellent work as the childhood daughter (where are they finding all these kids with excellent acting chops?!)

7.5/10

Edited by J.R.

Another complaint I have about 12YAS was that I found the score quite jarring at times actually taking me out of the story. Zimmer could have used some more subtlety IMO rather than trying to hit me over the head with the musical "drama".

The Hobbit 2 - 7.5/10

Why did they need to CG all the orcs now? LotR had real orcs.

5/10. Much of the movie, like the first one, was completely meaningless and actually didn't drive the plot forward. AT ALL. I mean... Smaug chasing the dwarves around, and then changes his mind after half an hour? Hogwash.

I get that the Hobbit is trying to be a little less serious about themselves, so when we watch something as stupid as Bombur's barrel scene... we gotta realize it's supposed to be stupid. And then it's not as bad. Zero reason to make any actual action CG effects. Probably my favourite fight from all the series was one with zero effects:

I mean, that whole scene was still ridiculous but totally awesome to watch.

Zero reason to make any actual action CG effects. Probably my favourite fight from all the series was one with zero effects:

I mean, that whole scene was still ridiculous but totally awesome to watch.

Well... most if not all of Legalos' arrows were CG.

Looper - 7/10. Nothing great but not terrible. Interesting concept and had its share of action.

On a side note, I had NO idea that this was Joseph Gordon Levitt. Wow. I saw the last name at the end in the credits and thought he had an older brother :lol:

WE9YeHlBQVJzR28x_o_looper-trailer-2012-b

The first 1/3 of Looper was absolutely fantastic. But it kind of sputtered out and ended up pretty average. Could have been something special though.

The first 1/3 of Looper was absolutely fantastic. But it kind of sputtered out and ended up pretty average. Could have been something special though.

That's pretty fair.

This was just amazing though, and his acting was excellent!

WE9YeHlBQVJzR28x_o_looper-trailer-2012-bjoseph-gordon-levitt_photo.jpg

Edited by DarthNinja

Guest Gumballthechewy

The Hobbit should never have been made into 3 movies. It's two movies full of material at best.

One movie would have been plenty.

It's the polar opposite of LotR where so much got left out, with the Hobbit they're adding so much useless garbage.

Although I agree with everyone's view on The Hobbit films being too long, I would still prefer too much Middle Earth then not enough. It is certainly not LOTR quality (to me, the best film(s) of all time), but it is better then majority of the fluff that is released.