The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

New Star Wars is good, but not as good as Empire.  Just as Kylo Ren is not as strong as Darth Vader was back in Empire.  

This was the problem with the prequels.  Why do they feel the need to turn the maskless badguys into wimpy crybabies?  At least have one episode where the badguys are formidable, THAT is what made Empire so great.  Not only did he cut off Luke's hand, but he did it while telling him he was his freakin' dad.

Kylo was doing well until the moment he met Rey.  

Spoiler

In this one, Kylo needed fatherly assistance to kill Han, and then lost to a rookie girl, who just became aware of the force the day before?  What the hell was that?

Anyway, hopefully Kylo stops being a wuss after his Smoggie training from the giant Pokemon villain.

Oh, and you'd think that maybe they should stop making their planet-sized bases so easily destroyable?  Three times now?  wtf?

I love the movie, and it certainly was better than the prequels, but Empire still rules.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs
  • Upvote 1

seymour: an introduction: 7.5/10. pretty good doc for those interested in music in a "serious" way

brooklyn: 6/10: (c)harmless

anomalisa: 8.5/10: won't be for everyone, but it will REALLY be for some others (Bookie?). the puppet sex scene is one of the most awkward scenes i can remember watching.

got a couple left i was curious to see, but really this year has been mostly a let down for me. really wishin Hitchcock/Truffaut would leak.

20 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

New Star Wars is good, but not as good as Empire.  Just as Kylo Ren is not as strong as Darth Vader was back in Empire.  

This was the problem with the prequels.  Why do they feel the need to turn the maskless badguys into wimpy crybabies?  At least have one episode where the badguys are formidable, THAT is what made Empire so great.  Not only did he cut off Luke's hand, but he did it while telling him he was his freakin' dad.

Kylo was doing well until the moment he met Rey.  

Hide contents

In this one, Kylo needed fatherly assistance to kill Han, and then lost to a rookie girl, who just became aware of the force the day before?  What the hell was that?

Anyway, hopefully Kylo stops being a wuss after his Smoggie training from the giant Pokemon villain.

Oh, and you'd think that maybe they should stop making their planet-sized bases so easily destroyable?  Three times now?  wtf?

I love the movie, and it certainly was better than the prequels, but Empire still rules.

Kylo is a lame duck now.

we know he's weak and soft but now he needs to kept as character.:picard:

• Upvote 1

this is pretty interesting if anybody is interested. round table discussion between the directors Quentin Tarantino ('The Hateful Eight'), Tom Hooper ('The Danish Girl'), Alejandro G. Inarritu ('The Revenant'), Ridley Scott ('The Martian'), Danny Boyle ('Steve Jobs') and David O. Russell ('Joy').

carol: 5/10 - i could imagine this being a substantial movie in, say, the 90s or before, when this sorta stuff was a bit more taboo. but since i'm not really shocked or inspired or offended by a gay/lesbian relationship, i don't find a two hour movie based on the inevitable sexual union between two women to be all that interesting. its like one slow burn leading to sex. the movie is literally about the sex we know is going to come (hurf durf), but it's so boring in the process. no character development, no decent dialogue, no nothing. just the confirmation that hey, two women can love each other. isn't that something?

it was just perfectly average in every way. even the score just sounded like Philip Glass knock off material at times. not sure what the praise is behind this one?

Edited by GLASSJAW

I watched The Lobster last night which was weird and hilarious and tense and sad all at once. Liked it and everyone in it. And I'm glad to now know that Ariane Labed exists. Giving it an 8. I'll think of it now and then for a long long time.

Now going to watch that round table discussion posted above and pray that Tarantino lets the adults talk.

my favourite point of the entire thing was made by Tarantino. it was when he says that movies used to be made "for the people" essentially - it was a working class hobby and art form. and he says that while sitting next to David O'Russell who just made Joy and Silver Linings Playbook, two totally non-cinematic movies. seeing them both, with snacks, would cost almost $100 for a small family to see. It's an expensive hobby, and when you factor in how many hundreds of movies are released each year, it's difficult to pick which ones are "worth it" imo. Hollywood has priced a lot of people out, and now the studios are crying about it.

12 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Anyone into foreign movies? I'm just getting a taste of what I've been missing out on and I like it. I'd love some recommendations.

Can start with Palme d'Or winners:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palme_d%27Or

Canadian Denis Villeneuve, before he started directing blockbusters, has a solid list of Canadian-based films. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Can start with Palme d'Or winners:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palme_d%27Or

Canadian Denis Villeneuve, before he started directing blockbusters, has a solid list of Canadian-based films. 

Thanks! I'll check those out.

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

any genre, region, or period preferences?

Not really, I've been mainly dabbling in European movies though. I guess I'd prefer not to watch any black and white/silent films unless intentional...

The Host - 7/10

Korean monster movie from 2006. Took me 3 installments to watch cause I kept falling asleep, but I did like it, it was just my fault for putting it on late. Had that peculiar ability to be gory and wacky at once. Epic ending I didn't see coming. Joon Ho Bong's first big movie (he did Snowpiercer).

11 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Anyone into foreign movies? I'm just getting a taste of what I've been missing out on and I like it. I'd love some recommendations.

I would highly recommend looking into a director named Alejandro Jodorowsky, out of Chile & Mexico.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0423524/

There was a great documentary made about him a couple years ago, about his failed attempt to get a movie version of Dune off the ground. At one point I think it included Mick Jagger, Salvador Dali, HR Geiger, Orson Welles and Pink Floyd. Unbelievable.

Edited by The Bookie
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

These are some of my favourite movies:

Spoiler

You said you didn't want black & white in the next post, so none of them are.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring (Korean, 2003)
Au revoir les enfants (French, 1987)
Come and See (Russian, 1985)
Aguirre, The Wrath of God (German, 1972)
Das Boot (German, 1981)
Raise the Red Lantern (Chinese, 1991)

(Come and See will get in your head and stay there forever)

City of God (Brazil, 2002) is another good one (but not a fav)
Fanny and Alexander (Sweden, 1982) is a fav but it's weird, so don't get mad at me if you end up watching it and hating it, haha

Wish I had a comedy to throw into that list of serious stuff, but whatever, these are all movies "that I will stand behind", so to speak.

21 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

my favourite point of the entire thing was made by Tarantino. it was when he says that movies used to be made "for the people" essentially - it was a working class hobby and art form. and he says that while sitting next to David O'Russell who just made Joy and Silver Linings Playbook, two totally non-cinematic movies. seeing them both, with snacks, would cost almost $100 for a small family to see. It's an expensive hobby, and when you factor in how many hundreds of movies are released each year, it's difficult to pick which ones are "worth it" imo. Hollywood has priced a lot of people out, and now the studios are crying about it.

True, that was good.
My favourite part was Danny Boyle's body language, haha.

Edit: I use xbmc, it's pure evil. I watch so many movies on it and used to feel guilty about it, but not any more. The industry is making money, not losing it.

Edited by Svengali

8 hours ago, The Bookie said:

There was a great documentary made about him a couple years ago, about his failed attempt to get a movie version of Dune off the ground. At one point I think it included Mick Jagger, Salvador Dali, HR Geiger, Orson Welles and Pink Floyd. Unbelievable.

Fantastic Doc for those who haven't seen it.

Locke : 7.5/10 Starring Tom Hardy and no one else.

This isn't going to be for everyone. It's a different kind of movie. Has only one actor in it and the whole film takes place in a car. Many have said it bored them to tears. Not me, I really enjoyed it. Hardy was fantastic. Lots of dialogue and conflict. A very interesting story.

You'll either love it or hate it.