The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

4 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

well. if the list police can track me down, the list police can fine me.

it stays!

i would appreciate it if you took listmaking more seriously, bookie.

anyway, my top 5 for 2015:

1. the godfather

2. birdman

3. the man from uncle

4. star wars a new hope

5. steve jobs

7 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

i would appreciate it if you took listmaking more seriously, bookie.

anyway, my top 5 for 2015:

1. the godfather

2. birdman

3. the man from uncle

4. star wars a new hope

5. steve jobs

Birth of a Nation didn't make it?

Starting to compile my list for 2015. In the middle of watching Sicario right now, and will then watch part of Phoenix in bed. Still have Carol, Brooklyn, Spotlight, and Dope to watch.

But first, I need to ask @GLASSJAW, even though What We Do In The Shadows was released early 2014 in New Zealand, it wasn't made available to North America until 2015. Fair game?

18 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

nevermind, i won't try to bait the joke. but yes, monty, that's fine

If I walked into it, I deserved it ;)

Also, those of you who know me (I'm sorry for you by the way), know I love to watch terrible movies from time to time. Last week I watched the Shaquille O'Neal classic, Steel. Wow. That was gloriously terrible. One of the worst 4 quadrant films I have ever seen, and it screwed up on every single area it touched on. So good.

Tried to watch Kazaam and Super Mario Bros, but those were unwatchable. 

The Big Short: 9.5/10

Loved just about every part of this movie featuring a star-studded cast. Appreciated the attempts to explain complex financial terms/concepts. I hated Wolf of Wall Street for their condescension towards the viewer through their opinion that we wouldn't care about how fraud was conducted. The Big Short was the antithesis of Scorsese's laziness. This movie will likely sit #1 on my top 5 of 2015.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The Big Short: 9.5/10

Loved just about every part of this movie featuring a star-studded cast. Appreciated the attempts to explain complex financial terms/concepts. I hated Wolf of Wall Street for their condescension towards the viewer through their opinion that we wouldn't care about how fraud was conducted. The Big Short was the antithesis of Scorsese's laziness. This movie will likely sit #1 on my top 5 of 2015.

Have you read the book?

Room: 6.5/10

Just wasn't feeling this one much at all. Definitely found it (very) emotional a few times, but those scenes were few and far between. I understand that the book it's based on is from a child's perspective, and the movie is an effort to extend that perspective, but that doesn't make it interesting to me - just makes the conflicts or adult's drama and tension seem shallow, or left totally unexplored. It's especially weird when you consider the movie/book's source material, and how gruesome and brutal the "real" story is. I mean, what purpose does it serve the horrific "real story" to bridge the adult issues and traumas with a child's ability to heal and move on so quickly?

Edited by GLASSJAW

18 hours ago, Monty said:

Before I put together my 2015 top 10, I still need to watch Dope, Sicario, Spotlight, Phoenix, Brooklyn, and Carol. While I'm no longer a music snob, I certainly am about movies; but not as bad as I used to be, where I would crap on people for liking a movie that I didn't. That's a 20s thing that I've grown out of. But because I have 6 movies I still want to watch before I put my list together, I have this snobish feeling that I have to get it done before Jan 1st. Thank goodness the wife is gone until Friday.

I try not to feel rushed with these things. Like I said tentative - there's always going to be some you miss. But I also feel that urgent need to see the big award season candidates, if only to evenly compare them. Carol is the one that might disrupt my list. I hadn't heard of it until a month ago when they had a trailer before Spotlight. It looks very powerful. Stuff like Brooklyn and The Danish Girl might win awards, but just come off as high style melodramatic crud. Youth is the other dark horse for me. Could be great, could be nothing. Hard to say from the trailer.

But the best stuff is likely being made on the outskirts; I'll see them someday, who knows when. On that note, try to watch Dope without expectations. It's not some sweeping epic, or it is but in it's own way, but it's certainly not made for awards. It's made for viewers. I went in with zero anything, and it was the most fun (well 2nd after Mad Max) I've had all year.

5 hours ago, The Bookie said:

I try not to feel rushed with these things. Like I said tentative - there's always going to be some you miss. But I also feel that urgent need to see the big award season candidates, if only to evenly compare them. Carol is the one that might disrupt my list. I hadn't heard of it until a month ago when they had a trailer before Spotlight. It looks very powerful. Stuff like Brooklyn and The Danish Girl might win awards, but just come off as high style melodramatic crud. Youth is the other dark horse for me. Could be great, could be nothing. Hard to say from the trailer.

But the best stuff is likely being made on the outskirts; I'll see them someday, who knows when. On that note, try to watch Dope without expectations. It's not some sweeping epic, or it is but in it's own way, but it's certainly not made for awards. It's made for viewers. I went in with zero anything, and it was the most fun (well 2nd after Mad Max) I've had all year.

Playing a woman is the new playing an extremely skinny person.